Crap, even with an electoral tie, Johnson and Stein can't play.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
In the event neither Clinton nor Trump get 270 electoral votes the third-party candidates won't be invited to the Electoral Ball. But guess who just might get on the dance card and might (by the slimmest chance) be elected President.

There's this Morman out in Utah who, if trends continue, may end up in third place.

Consider independent write-in candidate for president Evan McMullin. He has virtually no chance of winning the election on November 8, but he does have a shot at being chosen as our next president.

So go ahead and vote Libertarian, Greeny, Lizard, or Spock if you will. Don Quixote had a better plan than this.

awpitt

Main Streeter
In the event neither Clinton nor Trump get 270 electoral votes the third-party candidates won't be invited to the Electoral Ball. But guess who just might get on the dance card and might (by the slimmest chance) be elected President.

There's this Morman out in Utah who, if trends continue, may end up in third place.

So go ahead and vote Libertarian, Greeny, Lizard, or Spock if you will. Don Quixote had a better plan than this.

I've been reading up on him over the past couple of weeks and have heard about this distant possibility.

Clem72

An interesting situation that I have not heard of before. Too bad it requires two long-shots to be possible (neither candidate getting to 270, and McMullin winning Utah).

Several of my cousins are Mormon and their families are a bit off in a Stepford wives sort of way, but they are all successful upstanding citizens that at least avoid any appearance of vice. So judging from that I wouldn't want a Mormon as a best friend, but might be happy to have one as a President.

Hijinx

From what I see on McMullin he is just another Faux Republican working with Romney to screw over Trump.
I am sure someone will tell me if I am wrong.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wouldn't that be grand....

It gives us a chance to re-set this nightmare. All the Hillary people and all the Trump people will just go away, pissed. The fight in the House will be a non stop intrigue battle with all the demands of our modern media and ability to convey information in real time. Mitt? Uncle Joe? Whomever it will be, it will NOT be a polarizing figure. And, best of all, it won't be either of those two.

Hijinx

It gives us a chance to re-set this nightmare. All the Hillary people and all the Trump people will just go away, pissed. The fight in the House will be a non stop intrigue battle with all the demands of our modern media and ability to convey information in real time. Mitt? Uncle Joe? Whomever it will be, it will NOT be a polarizing figure. And, best of all, it won't be either of those two.

Dream on. It aint going to happen.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Hey Larry... Unfortunately, if no one gets to 270 and the election goes to the House of Representative, they can only choose from candidates who have won at least one Electoral vote. So, they'd have to choose from Clinton or Trump. Now if Evan McMullin somehow manages to take Utah's six Electoral votes, he'd be an option as well. The House of Representatives would elect the president. Each state delegation would have one vote. The Senate would elect the Vice-President. Again, each state delegation would have one vote. This has happened two times during our history. Jefferson and JQ Adams.

Last edited: