Questions about Tricare

Restless

Hello! We may be switching to Tricare since my husband's company's healthcare costs are going up. He did ten years active and ten years reserves. We know we are eligible but the question I have is this - currently our 23 year-old daughter is on our health insurance plan. She graduated college in 2014 and has a job in Texas. Unfortunately the company she works for is small and doesn't offer much in the way of healthcare coverage. I know Obama raised the age for dependents to 26 but will Tricare accept her? I have a sad feeling they won't but can't find any answers to my questions online.

Also, those of you who use Tricare - are you happy with it? We currently have Cigna which is pretty good but keeps going up in cost. I think we will have $60 more taken out of hubby's check every two weeks which doesn't sound like much but it is quite a chunk for us.

Thanks for your input!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hello! We may be switching to Tricare since my husband's company's healthcare costs are going up. He did ten years active and ten years reserves. We know we are eligible but the question I have is this - currently our 23 year-old daughter is on our health insurance plan. She graduated college in 2014 and has a job in Texas. Unfortunately the company she works for is small and doesn't offer much in the way of healthcare coverage. I know Obama raised the age for dependents to 26 but will Tricare accept her? I have a sad feeling they won't but can't find any answers to my questions online.

Also, those of you who use Tricare - are you happy with it? We currently have Cigna which is pretty good but keeps going up in cost. I think we will have $60 more taken out of hubby's check every two weeks which doesn't sound like much but it is quite a chunk for us.

Thanks for your input!

http://www.tricare.mil/LifeEvents/College - While enrolled in college, children may be eligible for regular TRICARE benefits until their 23rd birthday or graduation, whichever comes first.

http://www.tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TYA - TRICARE Young Adult is a plan that qualified adult children can purchase after eligibility for "regular" TRICARE coverage ends at age 21 (or 23 if enrolled in college, learn more).

Clem72

She graduated college in 2014 and has a job in Texas.

If she graduated and has a job in Texas (which assumes she no longer lives in your household) how is she a dependent? I don't see how she would legally be covered by either your current insurance or Tricare.

Restitution

If she graduated and has a job in Texas (which assumes she no longer lives in your household) how is she a dependent? I don't see how she would legally be covered by either your current insurance or Tricare.

Because.... Obamacare.

Regardless of where they live, they are covered until 26 yo.

However, I would defer to what vrai posted above as Tricare may go by different rules.

Bann

PREMO Member
Because.... Obamacare.

Regardless of where they live, they are covered until 26 yo.

However, I would defer to what vrai posted above as Tricare may go by different rules.

:eyebrow: Vrai has not posted in this tread.

Before Thing2 got his job with real bennies - I looked into the "ACA" rules that say adult children could be covered until age 26. He would NOT have been eligible to be covered with "Tricare" until he was 26 - unless he went with the Tricare Young Adult plan. It is not that inexpensive, either. His other Tricare bennies (family plan covered under his father's benefits) would have ended when he turned 21.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It may be cheaper to keep your current plan, TYA Prime is $319/month and TYA Standard is $216/month.
http://www.military.com/benefits/tricare/tricare-young-adult-tya-program.html.

What is this TYA you speak of?? Depending on what the deductibles are, I'm not sure you could get coverage any cheaper than that.

Tricare Standard has no cost.. for the user and family (under 21)...

We have Standard, and a supplemental through USAA and have been EXTREMELY happy with it for the past 13 years..

A lot more freedom than Prime, and the supplemental is about a break even to the costs for Prime.

Bann

PREMO Member
What is this TYA you speak of?? Depending on what the deductibles are, I'm not sure you could get coverage any cheaper than that.

Tricare Standard has no cost.. for the user and family (under 21)...

We have Standard, and a supplemental through USAA and have been EXTREMELY happy with it for the past 13 years..

A lot more freedom than Prime, and the supplemental is about a break even to the costs for Prime.

TYA = Tricare Young Adult.

TYA is Tricare Young Adult, sorry. If you click through on that page you can see that the TYA standard is exactly the same as Tricare standard, which you say you already have. The cost for coverage is listed here http://www.military.com/benefits/tricare/standard/tricare-standard-coverage.html, TYA Standard will run her around $2600/year.

Not sure about her health situation, but since she is employed maybe Obamacare is a better option, since she may be healthy and not making a lot, the Obamacare subsidy may be pretty big. And, under the law (thank you Mr President), all of that "women's stuff" is free, BC, gyno exams, etc.... Tricare may have better pharmacy deals though. Good luck.

Last edited: