Cocoa's Caribbean Jerk

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
OMG YUM!!!

It's where the old A&W was on Great Mills Road, next to Wendy's. They've completely redone it in there and it is Caribbean pubby cute, and the food is amazing. I had the jerk ribs and Monello had the jerk shrimp - both came with fried cabbage and Jamaican rice and peas. We also had Jamaican beef patties - I used to get these at the 7-11 off the roller and they were oh so delicious, but the real ones are 1000x better.

You can have either spicy or mild - spicy for me, Monello gets the mild. The shrimp was well cooked and seasoned nicely, and the ribs were fall off the bone, plus there was a LOT of it. Apparently the jerk pork and chicken are AYCE, but the portion they brought the people next to us, yeah one serving is about all you can eat. I loved the rice and peas, and the cabbage was just cabbage - it's not meant to stand alone, but be an offset to the spicy jerk. The beef patty was flaky and spicy, pretty much perfect.

Prices are reasonable and the portions are large. We'll have to eat here again before we leave.

Clem72

I noticed on their sign that they were doing all you can eat, which generally isn't a good indication for a restaurant. If the food is good, I hope they manage to get the business up.

Bonehead

I don't know which Cocoa's you went to but our jerk chicken was horrible and the cabbage like cooked to death and the rice and peas were a few days old...I won't give them another chance.

Bonehead

Just saying my experience was very different same place weeks apart. I was really hoping for this restaurant but.....It did not meet my expectations for food or service.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just saying my experience was very different same place weeks apart. I was really hoping for this restaurant but.....It did not meet my expectations for food or service.

Personally, I don't care for Jamaican food, so I haven't been there. I didn't even care much for it when I was in Jamaica.