Kevins

luvmygdaughters

We went to Kevins new location (the old Willows) on Saturday. I was not impressed at all. I had the prime rib and shrimp (special). Order the prime rib medium rare. It was almost well done and had no flavor at all!! The shrimp were fried, they weren't to bad, but a little more breading than I care for. My daughters boyfriend ordered a softshell dinner. It was horrible, was too salty, he couldn't eat it. Daughter ordered a steamer pot, crablegs were okay, not crazy about anything else. It may have been an off night. The place has looked pack since they opened, may try it again in a few weeks, just to give them another chance.

Prime rib is something I never get out anymore, unless I'm at a REAL steakhouse. Most restaurants now use those thin blister pac 'prime rib' steaks which are anything but prime.

Sorry to hear a poor report from Kevins. Haven't been there yet, might wait a bit more and let them grow into the new place.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Monello and I had dinner there with Pete and Mrs. Pete last week and it was really good. I had a platter with grilled salmon, scallops and something else, and it was delicious. There were 10 million people lined up to get in (this was a Friday night).

My advice is give them another chance.

Mixone

Sat at the bar and ate a few nights back. It was about the quality of a middle school cafeteria. String beans straight from a can with no seasoning...that is the best you can do?
The" famous" rockfish" sandwich was about as generic as you can get. Barefoot is the ONLY wine you sell...are you kidding me? If the lady behind the bar called me sweetie or honey one
more time I was going to throw up.

I don't understand why people go to a seafood place and order steak.

They don't go with that in mind, necessarily. Their date may really want seafood but they aren't keen on it, but go anyway to keep the peace. Someone may go down the offerings and just not see any seafood that catches their eye. A 'surf&turf' option is almost always a seafood restaurant offering, and is popular.

I've gone to a German restaurant and ordered duck, because I knew this restaurant made the best and crispiest duck around, and may not have that opportunity for a long while again.

Mixone

Are you seriously beefing because the bar tender was friendly to you? Where are you from?

Let me answer both of your questions. She was not being friendly, she was being totally irritating because every other word was sweetie, honey, baby....enough!
And to answer your other question...I am "from" thirty years experience as a professional bartender in DC at one of the nations most iconic hotels. I know service my dear and that is
not service. I did not go to Kevin's expecting fine dining or great service, just a solid meal and service. I received neither but still tipped 20% because it's their living. Do I have to be your darling because I
come in your restaurant? It's completely inappropriate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let me answer both of your questions. She was not being friendly, she was being totally irritating because every other word was sweetie, honey, baby....enough!
And to answer your other question...I am "from" thirty years experience as a professional bartender in DC at one of the nations most iconic hotels. I know service my dear and that is
not service. I did not go to Kevin's expecting fine dining or great service, just a solid meal and service. I received neither but still tipped 20% because it's their living. Do I have to be your darling because I
come in your restaurant? It's completely inappropriate.

DC. Figures. Well you're in the country now and we sweetie baby honey you. When I come to DC I put up with snotty waiters and bartenders who don't realize that they are, you know, servers. So when you come down here you get to put up with friendliness. :smile:

Clem72

I don't understand why people go to a seafood place and order steak.

My SO doesn't eat seafood of any kind. I really enjoy it, but very rarely get to have any. Sounds like a good compromise to have steak on the menu.

luvmygdaughters

I don't understand why people go to a seafood place and order steak.[/QUOT

I've been to seafood restaurants that offer a Surf & Turf option. Those steaks are usually very good. Kevins does not advertise as being a "seafood" restaurant. In fact, one of his so called "Specialty" nights is prime rib. As I said, it may have been an off night, I wasn't impressed with the food.

stew77

We went on Friday after noon. Had Steamed Oysters and Fried Oysters, and Hush Puppies and Sweet Potatoe Fries. EVERYTHING was outstanding. We were only the 6th people in the place also, had beer to drink. The Sweet Potatoe Fries were the best I have had in a long time. Fried Oysters were fried perfect and not too much meal on them. A little on the expensive side but all in all we will be back. Give it another try.

Bonehead

We ate lunch there tuesday. Kind of meh, nothing worth 25 bucks for lunch...probably won't go back any time soon.

luvmygdaughters

Based on the parking lot last night for Fried Chicken Night, I'd say he's probably not missing the foot traffic.

I don't know why, but their fried chicken, according to my husband, is the BOMB!! Nobody makes it better. I haven't tried it yet, but will have to make a point to do so.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I don't know why, but their fried chicken, according to my husband, is the BOMB!! Nobody makes it better. I haven't tried it yet, but will have to make a point to do so.

They only have it on Wednesdays so plan ahead.

I've heard that as well. My wife has told me there were people waiting outside to get into the old place on Wednesday nights. We are hoping to get there next Wednesday.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm with the OP on this one.. We went to Kevin's for lunch when it was downtown.. pretty good.

New Kevin's.. it was ALL prepackaged frozen food. Nothing prepared, or breaded in the back. nothing I couldn't have taken out of the freezer and made at home with no prep work.

I'll go to Jerry's and pay their price, or go to Courtney's.. at least I know there it isn't frozen pre-packaged food.

lovinmaryland

I'm with the OP on this one.. We went to Kevin's for lunch when it was downtown.. pretty good.

New Kevin's.. it was ALL prepackaged frozen food. Nothing prepared, or breaded in the back. nothing I couldn't have taken out of the freezer and made at home with no prep work.

I'll go to Jerry's and pay their price, or go to Courtney's.. at least I know there it isn't frozen pre-packaged food.

I heard the same thing. A friend of mine said she went and ordered the fried shrimp platter and it was just Sea Pak fried shrimp same stuff you can buy at food lion.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

On a whim, we stopped in this evening and we both ended up ordering the fried chicken. Meh. Way too salty.