Interior handrails

pelers

What are the rules for having handrails on interior stairs in St Mary's county? Stairs are enclosed by drywall so you can't fall off the sides in any way.

The ones the builder put in have insanely sharp corners, I've drawn blood more than once taking the corner too fast and I'm amazed my kids haven't had diy lobotomies yet.

I was going to just take them off since replacing will be a rather expensive undertaking. Should I hang onto the ones up now for when it's time to sell the house, or if there are no rules governing handrails can I just get rid of them?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Unless somebody comes to inspect your house, I would guess you could remove them even if there is a regulation, which I don't believe there is.

It shouldn't be that expensive to replace them. Are they just wood or something fancy/decorative?

pelers

I just glanced quickly at Lowe's website, but it looked liked the cost to replace was going to be in the hundreds. I'm going to take the ones that are currently up off, just trying to figure out if I should hold onto them or not for when it comes time to sell the house.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just glanced quickly at Lowe's website, but it looked liked the cost to replace was going to be in the hundreds. I'm going to take the ones that are currently up off, just trying to figure out if I should hold onto them or not for when it comes time to sell the house.

Probably hang onto them. If nothing else, potential buyers might care.

limblips

PREMO Member
What are the rules for having handrails on interior stairs in St Mary's county? Stairs are enclosed by drywall so you can't fall off the sides in any way.

Should I hang onto the ones up now for when it's time to sell the house, or if there are no rules governing handrails can I just get rid of them?

They aren't just there to keep you from falling off the sides. They are there as a handhold to help keep you from falling down I would since handrails are code (National).

52. HANDRAILS. Section R311.7.6 IRC 2009
R311.7.6 Handrails. Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of each continuous run of treads or flight with four or more risers.

Also, if you remove them be aware that since you are violating National Code, you may have a lawsuit if someone falls and gets injured. And I would contact my homeowners insurance coverage to ask what their requirements are

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
At my old house, we didn't have a handrail in the stairwell. Once I got pregnant, I had my husband install one because of my tendency to fall on stairs and didn't want to risk the baby.

When I bought my current house, there wasn't a handrail. As part of the sale, they had to install one. They did.

pelers

They aren't just there to keep you from falling off the sides. They are there as a handhold to help keep you from falling down I would since handrails are code (National).

52. HANDRAILS. Section R311.7.6 IRC 2009
R311.7.6 Handrails. Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of each continuous run of treads or flight with four or more risers.

Also, if you remove them be aware that since you are violating National Code, you may have a lawsuit if someone falls and gets injured. And I would contact my homeowners insurance coverage to ask what their requirements are

Exactly the info I was looking for, thank you!