A mystery

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Got up this morning and went to the bathroom, and while I was in there Apollo started crying his "I'm hurt" yipe. Not just one yip, but continued. So I ran in to see what was wrong and he was right there on the bed, hadn't appeared to move, but he was clearly in pain. So I checked him to see if there was anything obvious and he seemed to be tender on his left shoulder. By now he'd stopped crying but cried when I tried to move him.

So I left him lay and rubbed his tummy and soothed him while I collected my thoughts. By then he wasn't crying anymore and his tail was wagging a bit. I went to get my phone and call the vet, and Apollo jumped down off the bed, gave a yip when he landed, and seemed to be favoring that left leg a bit. I put the leash on him and carried him outside so I could see better, and then he was walking normally. We walked around the campground, our normal walk, and he seemed subdued but had apparently shaken off whatever was bothering him. Now he's laying in his bed napping.

He goes to the vet Monday and I'll tell them about this incident unless he's showing signs of distress later today, then I'll go ahead and call them to get him checked out. But how does a dog hurt himself laying in bed? Could he have rolled over and dislocated his shoulder? It didn't appear to be, but if it popped out and back in maybe? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

I mean, he was just laying there on the bed. There's nothing on the bed that could have hurt him; he didn't get a toenail caught in the afghan; there is no external reason why he would get hurt. Any ideas?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Got up this morning and went to the bathroom, and while I was in there Apollo started crying his "I'm hurt" yipe. Not just one yip, but continued. So I ran in to see what was wrong and he was right there on the bed, hadn't appeared to move, but he was clearly in pain. So I checked him to see if there was anything obvious and he seemed to be tender on his left shoulder. By now he'd stopped crying but cried when I tried to move him.

So I left him lay and rubbed his tummy and soothed him while I collected my thoughts. By then he wasn't crying anymore and his tail was wagging a bit. I went to get my phone and call the vet, and Apollo jumped down off the bed, gave a yip when he landed, and seemed to be favoring that left leg a bit. I put the leash on him and carried him outside so I could see better, and then he was walking normally. We walked around the campground, our normal walk, and he seemed subdued but had apparently shaken off whatever was bothering him. Now he's laying in his bed napping.

He goes to the vet Monday and I'll tell them about this incident unless he's showing signs of distress later today, then I'll go ahead and call them to get him checked out. But how does a dog hurt himself laying in bed? Could he have rolled over and dislocated his shoulder? It didn't appear to be, but if it popped out and back in maybe? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

I mean, he was just laying there on the bed. There's nothing on the bed that could have hurt him; he didn't get a toenail caught in the afghan; there is no external reason why he would get hurt. Any ideas?

Maybe slept on it wrong? Is that even a thing for dogs? Crick in the muscle or fell asleep so he was experiencing the "pins and needles thing"?? Glad he seems to be doing better though.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe slept on it wrong? Is that even a thing for dogs? Crick in the muscle or fell asleep so he was experiencing the "pins and needles thing"?? Glad he seems to be doing better though.

That's what I was thinking but like you said, is that even a thing for dogs? :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, he was laying on the couch and started crying again for no apparent reason, so I called the vet and they got him in this afternoon.

I hate when my baby doesn't feel good. :frown:

tommyjo

Could he have a thorn or sticker in him that he may have rolled on while sleeping?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Could he have a thorn or sticker in him that he may have rolled on while sleeping?

Nothing that I saw, and he's not trying to bite at anything to remove it. He's sleeping now but his breathing is shallow. We'll know here in about another hour....

luvmygdaughters

Could be a case of arthritis, the worst thing for dogs, according to my vet, is jumping up and down from beds, couch's, etc and in and out of cars. Doesn't always hurt but flares up sometimes. Sure hope he will be feeling better after the vet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We just got back and vet said that he has a pinched nerve in his neck/back. He could have slept on it wrong but my guess is that, because he is prone to abrupt movements, he went to bounce up from slumber and twisted his body wrong.

So he has pain pills and an anti-inflammatory that should fix him up in a couple days. RELIEF!!!!! I was worried it was something terrible.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
We just got back and vet said that he has a pinched nerve in his neck/back. He could have slept on it wrong but my guess is that, because he is prone to abrupt movements, he went to bounce up from slumber and twisted his body wrong.

So he has pain pills and an anti-inflammatory that should fix him up in a couple days. RELIEF!!!!! I was worried it was something terrible.

BIL/SIL had to take their dog to the vet yesterday, same thing and our JRT mix went a few months ago, same thing... they get like us from time to time.

Hope he feels better soon.

luvmygdaughters

Glad its something manageable!! Apollo can continue his travels!!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks, all, for your well wishes. He's in his bed snuggled under a blankie snoozing. He had a potty walk a little bit ago and was geezing along, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Toxick

Splat
Any ideas?

Happens to me sometimes. I'll go to stand up and hit my leg wrong or pushup off the bed, and my shoulder protests for no apparent reason.

Sometimes I'll accidentally sit on one of my gazots.
That doesn't seem to be the case though.

Maybe he went to join you in the crapper and just hit his leg wrong.

---

Edit: Probably should've read the rest of the thread before replying.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Happens to me sometimes. I'll go to stand up and hit my leg wrong or pushup off the bed, and my shoulder protests for no apparent reason.

Sometimes I'll accidentally sit on one of my gazots.
That doesn't seem to be the case though.

Maybe he went to join you in the crapper and just hit his leg wrong.

---

Edit: Probably should've read the rest of the thread before replying.

I'm positive he didn't roll over on one of his nads because he hain't got none. Apparently your boys need a home, though. :lol:

I never rolled over on the cat, but there were a few times it was on the bed when I grabbed the covers and pulled hard when I rolled over. Launched that sucker halfway across the room.