SMCM Students Desecrated Post Office Flag

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: SMCM Students Desecrated Post Office Flag

Date: 11-17-2016 12:16 PM

Summary: The U.S. flag that flies from the flagpole in front of the St. Mary's City post office was found shredded and flying at half-staff on the flagpole on Thursday morning.

Click here for the full story...

stew77

I think these students should be identified and I am SURE there is a lot of Trash to be picked up between the college and Waldorf!! Or a long time in jail and school expulsion!!

Hijinx

I think these students should be identified and I am SURE there is a lot of Trash to be picked up between the college and Waldorf!! Or a long time in jail and school expulsion!!

Smart people doing stupid things.There is no excuse for this.
To many people in America the flag is a symbol of freedom. It's no joke to vandalize it.
They probably thought this was a clever thing to do.
They are about to find out differently, when you mess with the Post Office it's a federal offense.
These are young adults who have not learned to think like adults yet. They need to be taught how that works.
You are responsible for your actions.

A written apology and Community service is the least punishment they deserve.

glhs837

Power with Control

Article says they have. And the names turned over. Well to Campus Safety, anyway. Not sure why Campus Safety isn't the organization identifying them. Federal beef, but I agree there would be a real punishment. I would offer that they first write and teach a course in the nearest elementary school the history and etiquette of the flag. Along with say three months service performing colors at the Post Office. I'm sure Par Rivers Color guard would be glad to teach them.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Article says they have. And the names turned over. Well to Campus Safety, anyway. Not sure why Campus Safety isn't the organization identifying them. Federal beef, but I agree there would be a real punishment. I would offer that they first write and teach a course in the nearest elementary school the history and etiquette of the flag. Along with say three months service performing colors at the Post Office. I'm sure Par Rivers Color guard would be glad to teach them.

Remember when "Campus Safety" were actual sworn law enforcement officers?

Freefaller

It's just my own guess but I'm willing to bet these students will be protected by the college administration and their names will never be released to the public and they will never be punished by the school. I guess we'll see very soon.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's just my own guess but I'm willing to bet these students will be protected by the college administration and their names will never be released to the public and they will never be punished by the school. I guess we'll see very soon.

Odd the way it reads. They have committed a federal crime. And so the college has to turn the names over to the Fed, in the person of the Postal Inspectors. I would not be surprised, though, if the college tries to work some deal to get them students off with a slap on the wrist so they do not get records. "Vandalism" is one thing, destruction of Govt property is another.

glhs837

Power with Control
When I moved down here in '88. A member of my Reserve unit was the Chief (or whatever the title was) at the time. He was a retired officer from some State agency. They even carried sidearms.

Don't think I noticed til the Sheriffs guy who left after the evidence fiasco took over, when was that, early 2000s? I think at that point there were not sworn officers. Not sure when it changed.

As for the possible penalties.... from MS's link.....

). The penalties for violations of this section are tied to the extent of the property damage. As amended on September 13, 1994, if the damage exceeds $100, the defendant is subject to a fine of up to $250,000, ten years imprisonment, or both. See Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, Pub. L. 103-322, § 330016, 108 Stat. 1796, 2146-47 (1994). When property damage does not exceed $100, the offense is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $100,000, one year imprisonment, or both. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 3559(a), 3571.

So, wonder how much that flag cost. Could go either way. But even on the lower end, it's still a ruinous fine if it's maxed. I say keep it under 5K, no time to be served, but a punishment that teaches.

Tech

Don't think I noticed til the Sheriffs guy who left after the evidence fiasco took over, when was that, early 2000s? I think at that point there were not sworn officers. Not sure when it changed.

As for the possible penalties.... from MS's link.....

So, wonder how much that flag cost. Could go either way. But even on the lower end, it's still a ruinous fine if it's maxed. I say keep it under 5K, no time to be served, but a punishment that teaches.

Make them wear a Trump shirt till they graduate.

3CATSAILOR

I doubt very much will happen to them at all. They won't be expelled. Parents would sue since Colleges/Universities teach indoctrination of the students these days. They would say you indoc my kid and then you kick him out? Not happening. SMCM is a good College. True, it leans to the left. What College doesn't these days? It was only a few kids out of thousands. I don't see the local police doing very much with them either. Even if they were charged, which I doubt, a judge would slap them on their wrist with little to no penalty.

The end result is an experience that tells the kids that our law enforcement will let you get away with violating the laws. And if they don't like our Country for what it stands for by destroying our flag, they have quite a few Countries the can go to. They will find they won't tolerate they childish actions as this Country has.