Trump to settle Trump University lawsuits

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" President-elect Donald Trump is close to settling two lawsuits brought against him over the now defunct Trump University, The New York Daily News reported on Friday.

The settlement would reportedly require Trump to pay between $20 million and $25 million, though he would not have to admit to any wrongdoing.

The lawsuits, filed by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and a law firm in California, alleged that the for-profit school had scammed customers into taking expensive classes that were run by people who had little to no connection to Trump himself.

"Using false promises to prey on desperate people has long been a hallmark of snake-oil salesmen," Schneiderman said in July. "A lawsuit by my office alleges that Donald Trump was basically doing the same thing with Trump University."

Trump, who during the presidential campaign had vowed not to settle and denied the allegations, will avoid a scheduled court appearance in the coming weeks with the settlement. "

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/306720-report-trump-to-settle-trump-university-lawsuits

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not sure what this lawsuit is about exactly. Did they not get what they were promised, or did they not put the practices into use and therefore were unsuccessful? Anyone have a thumbnail sketch?

I ask because I used to go to a number of motivational sales seminars when I was at Channel 10, plus Al used to float me Tony Robbins and Zig Ziglar books all the time. I got a lot out of them, but other people said they were a waste of time. Well, I'm here and they're, um, somewhere else.

So were these litigants actually bilked out of something? That's a real question because I haven't been following the story in any detail.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
With money to attend these classes, I have to wonder how desperate these "desperate people" really were. :ohwell:

tommyjo

That's a real question because I haven't been following the story in any detail.

So this topic is no different that your following of the entire election and the commentary/history of your candidate.

Why don't you go do some searches and read up on your vaunted "businessman" and how he treats the little guy.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So this topic is no different that your following of the entire election and the commentary/history of your candidate.

Why don't you go do some searches and read up on your vaunted "businessman" and how he treats the little guy.

You still here??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

So you don't know, either?

That's okay - I ran it down. Ready? Pay attention because it's a bit involved:

First of all, "they're" pissed that Trump University calls itself a "university" when you don't get a diploma and TU is not chartered in NY state as a true university. So that's how it started, because of the name. This was in 2005. New York v. Trump Entrepreneur Initiative

Second, in 2008 actual human plaintiffs (or a class action lawyer, to be exact) sued because, although the promo materials say that the instructors are hand-picked, students were not instructed by people who were actually "hand-picked" by Donald Trump himself. Breach of contract, punitive damages, etc. Makaeff v. Trump University

Third, in 2013 some guy in California sued Donald Trump himself under the RICO act because he, The Donald, did not personally conduct these seminars, nor was TU an accredited "university". Cohen v. Trump

So it's not really all that. Trump licenses his name to an awful lot of products and services, similar to many celebrities. Donald Trump himself shouldn't even be involved in these lawsuits.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So it's not really all that. Trump licenses his name to an awful lot of products and services, similar to many celebrities.

I Have said that repeatedly - Trump makes DEALS [aka negotiates] licensing his NAME on 100's of things - making deals is what politics is all about

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I Have said that repeatedly - Trump makes DEALS [aka negotiates] licensing his NAME on 100's of things - making deals is what politics is all about

Well, whatever. The media is losing their ####, like Trump personally bilked all these people out of their last dime that they needed to buy milk and medicine for the baby, and that's not even close to the case.

Regardless, Trump is right to settle and get this out of the way so he can, you know, do president things. If had more time on his hands, I'm pretty sure he'd have gone to trial because it's unlikely that he personally would have been convicted of anything.

Hijinx

Well, whatever. The media is losing their ####, like Trump personally bilked all these people out of their last dime that they needed to buy milk and medicine for the baby, and that's not even close to the case.

Regardless, Trump is right to settle and get this out of the way so he can, you know, do president things. If had more time on his hands, I'm pretty sure he'd have gone to trial because it's unlikely that he personally would have been convicted of anything.

Well maybe now he will be more careful who he lends his name to.
Especially now.

Well It's time to get off Trumps back, The BS rape charge is gone , soon the BS Trump U. thing is gone, It's time to see how the Clinton Foundation is doing business.