Coast Guard helo searching area waters around Piney Point

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Big USCG SAR helo just went by, low and slow. Did a full ring around the island and then continued on. Heard that at least one boat full of fisherman (4?) competing in the year-end MSSA tournament went missing yesterday, with only one of them found. Today..the river is a hot mess with the winds like they are. It's nasty out there.

Edit: Here it is... Still one missing. Sad.

http://wtop.com/maryland/2016/11/police-search-fishermen-missing-potomac-river/

Last edited:
The winds are blammo (official term of strong winds) inland, has to be nutz over the water. SAR pilot has to have his hands full with the gusts.

Sorry to hear about the missing person.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Wind is crazy over here on the river at Solomons. Usually if the RV is rocking, don't bother knocking. But today it's just the nasty winds swaying us sideways.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
SAR pilot has to have his hands full with the gusts.

It was one of their big birds (CH-53?) and it was still swaying and jinking a good deal as they slowly made their way up the creek.

Hmm. I don't see the bird I saw listed as a current USCG asset...is a USN SAR helo painted white with orange stripes too?

Edit: Wow..they are seriously focused on the Piney Point area right now, looking for the last guy, and the boat too, I guess.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It was one of their big birds (CH-53?) and it was still swaying and jinking a good deal as they slowly made their way up the creek.

Hmm. I don't see the bird I saw listed as a current USCG asset...is a USN SAR helo painted white with orange stripes too?

Edit: Wow..they are seriously focused on the Piney Point area right now, looking for the last guy, and the boat too, I guess.

I thought the boat had been located. Overturned with the survivor on top.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I thought the boat had been located. Overturned with the survivor on top.

WTOP story could have gotten the part about the boat wrong. I see in the Baynet story that Pax River is assisting..that is probably their big big bird that is working the area around our island.

calvcopf

It's a USCG MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Elizabeth City, NC.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Pretty sure now that the one I've seen today was from Pax.

Update: Now I'm watching one go around overhead that is definitely USCG MH-60...and have not seen the bigger bird for the last half hour or more.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Incident happened about 5pm last night. Didn't those really strong winds come up just about then? Someone didn't have a weather eye out.

Yep..as predicted, the wind came in with a vengeance around then. Four of us were sitting at a picnic table getting ready to pic a bunch of crabs when it hit. We all picked the table up and ran it in to the shop..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yep..as predicted, the wind came in with a vengeance around then. Four of us were sitting at a picnic table getting ready to pic a bunch of crabs when it hit. We all picked the table up and ran it in to the shop..

:worthless

Back when I was young and foolish, we were having a grand time at a beach party on LI. It was clear and sunny. My sailboat was anchored just offshore. Homemade NY style clam chowder was being enjoyed. No one was watching the weather. Within minutes, it got dark and windy. And I mean blammo windy. I looked at the sailboat, it was fine. I turned away to look at something, turned back and the boat was gone. A hundred yards downwind. Ran down the beach to catch it before it slammed the shore. My buddy got on, desperately trying to stow the sails with the most incredible lightning storm all around. I warned him about aluminum masts being lightning rods on water. The realization on his face was priceless. The anchor was now reset so he dove overboard. The row of tents on the beach were either down or blown away. Another boat that had tried to outrun the squall back to harbor got hit, busted a windscreen from the force of the waves.

You can bet I now pay close attention to the weather.

black dog

Free America
Back when I was young and foolish, we were having a grand time at a beach party on LI. It was clear and sunny. My sailboat was anchored just offshore. Homemade NY style clam chowder was being enjoyed. No one was watching the weather. Within minutes, it got dark and windy. And I mean blammo windy. I looked at the sailboat, it was fine. I turned away to look at something, turned back and the boat was gone. A hundred yards downwind. Ran down the beach to catch it before it slammed the shore. My buddy got on, desperately trying to stow the sails with the most incredible lightning storm all around. I warned him about aluminum masts being lightning rods on water. The realization on his face was priceless. The anchor was now reset so he dove overboard. The row of tents on the beach were either down or blown away. Another boat that had tried to outrun the squall back to harbor got hit, busted a windscreen from the force of the waves.

You can bet I now pay close attention to the weather.

I get it being young and foolish, I have over 30,000 solo miles in a sailboat myself.
With the ease of today's technology it's truly a shame when this happens.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
All have been found but Roger and the Coast Guard called off the search earlier today. If anyone lives near the water, please be on the lookout. Get the binoculars out and check the shore lines PLEASE. The family just wants him home. I hate seeing this be an unknown for his children so I am hoping he is found soon.

The water was 55 or 57 degrees last night so a life jacket wouldn't have helped for long. Jay was fortunate to make it to the hull and it was known soon after they got him, it was a recovery effort. These guys fish all the time together and are experienced but the winds were awful yesterday (and today).

The winds last night came in so fast. I am amazed even one survived.

glhs837

Power with Control

There is, I'm pretty sure, on SH-3 left at Pax that is Pax's dedicated SAR bird. Spent lots of hours maintaining that aircraft.

Pax SAR.jpg