Stuffed ham

FED_UP

Was reading some old threads, just ordered a few pounds from Bear Creek, mixed reviews on it good and bad. So what is the verdict on this place with stuffed ham these days.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I used to make my own all the time, Bought one from Nicks up in Prince Fred.... VERY Good, ~16lb for 60 i think tag said... When you look at cost of corned ham, all other veggies and time , its a wash for me, and its yummy !

stgislander

PREMO Member
Gilligan says it's better that Andy's down at Chief's in Tall Timbers (WJ Dent & Sons). And that's saying something.

FED_UP

Gilligan says it's better that Andy's down at Chief's in Tall Timbers (WJ Dent & Sons). And that's saying something.

I was getting ready to call them next but after the third call that was enough, quit and took the first person who said come on down. I will have to hit them up for Christmas. Mckay's and Chiefs Linda's café said no more orders. Actually Linda's did say I can come in tomorrow afternoon and check for any leftovers.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Pretty sure I was talking about Sharon's ham at PP Market...but Curtis makes good stuffed ham too! Not that Andys is ever anything I'd pass up...we've got 10 pounds of it for the weekend.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We got some from Chaptico Market! :yahoo:

I think Nick's Stuffed Ham is good enough. But Chaptico Market's is the bomb. :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We got some from Chaptico Market! :yahoo:

I think Nick's Stuffed Ham is good enough. But Chaptico Market's is the bomb. :yay:

Another one we need to try. We had Chaptico Market make all the chicken and sides for our island family reunion this year...and it was awesome

FED_UP

The Bear Creek stuffed ham was good except for the tiny dirt I tasted on three separate times.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
NIcks was very good again, very spicy and ham had a good corned/salty taste. Just disappointed in the size of the ham. Had more veggies then ham for a 15Lb total weight. But niece said last one she got from them hadf not enough veggies, nice size ham. So i guess its a crap shoot, Going to make my own again for easter.

Here's recipe from a St Mary family.
SOUTHERN MARYLAND STUFFED HAM

20 LB CORNED HAM DE-BONED
1 HEAD GREEN CABBAGE
1 BIG BAG KALE (BROWN GROCERY BAG)
8 ONIONS
3 STALKS CELERY
3 TABLESPOONS MUSTARD SEED
5 TABLESPOONS CRUSHED RED PEPPER
4 TABLESPOONS CAYENNE PEPPER
3 TABLESPOONS WHOLE BLACK PEPPER CRUSHED
2 TABLESPOONS SALT

• BOIL HAM FOR 1 HOUR – COOL – REMOVE FAT
  • CHOP UP VEGGIES COURSELY AND PLACE IN POT HAM LIQUID, ADD SEASONINGS AND COOK TILL WILTED
  • REMOVE VEGGIES, ALLOW TO COOL
  • FILL CAVITY THAT BONE OCCUPIED WITH VEGGIES
  • TIE HAM UP
  • CUT VERTICAL SLITS AND STUFF W/ VEGGIE MIXTURE. DO THIS IN SEGMENTS UNTIL ALL HAM DONE
  • WRAP HAM WITH CHEESE CLOTH AND PLACE HAM BACK IN POT. COOK FOR ANOTHER 2.5 HOURS AT A FULL BOIL.
  • AFTER 2.5 HOURS, SHUT FIRE OFF AND LEAVE HAM IN FOR ANOTHER HOUR TO SEASON
  • REMOVE, ALLOW TO COOL FOR A WHILE THEN PUT IN FRIG.