paying for football...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...the nfl is casting about to find ways to deal with lost customers. People growing, finally, sick of people hurting one another for entertainment, the incomprehensible nature of when and why penalties are called, the mind numbing tedium of commercials. All of that means $13 billion a year is at risk.

Over 100 million people watch the super bowl, even though it is on at a really dumb time. About 100 million people watch each week, added up game by game. Added up, we'll over 2 billion viewers watch the nfl per year.

Assuming you could have no commercials, which would automatically make the games less tedious in other areas, what would you pay to watch? $10 for the season? $20? $50, $100?

MR47930

...the nfl is casting about to find ways to deal with lost customers. People growing, finally, sick of people hurting one another for entertainment, the incomprehensible nature of when and why penalties are called, the mind numbing tedium of commercials. All of that means $13 billion a year is at risk.

Over 100 million people watch the super bowl, even though it is on at a really dumb time. About 100 million people watch each week, added up game by game. Added up, we'll over 2 billion viewers watch the nfl per year.

Assuming you could have no commercials, which would automatically make the games less tedious in other areas, what would you pay to watch? $10 for the season? $20? $50, $100?

Has this been verified? I think part of the decline in viewing is due to the lack of big hits anymore. Anytime someone gets a "big hit" a flag is immediately thrown even if it was a textbook tackle.

The price I would pay would depend on what was included in the package. I would pay a great deal more if it were like NASCAR where every player was mic'ed up and I could tune into their 'station' to hear what was being said.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We already "pay" to watch football because our team is not local therefore we cannot see all the games. I'm not paying 1 cent more.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not that I'm a football fan or anything, but the biggest complaint I hear about NFL is that they're a bunch of candy ass progbots and the players are now leftwing activists. Penalties for "excessive celebration"? Black millionaires kneeling because they're so "oppressed"? Give me a break. Pretty sure that's why they're losing fans.

Restitution

Assuming you could have no commercials, which would automatically make the games less tedious in other areas, what would you pay to watch?

Exactly how would eliminating commercials make the game "less tedious?" Would people really be that anxious to see the players getting water, wiping down with a towel, getting coached up, saying HI to mom, etc.?

Granted.... commercial breaks make money for the network and the NFL but, its not like anything big is being missed. Anyone that has been to a televised game knows that!

I agree with Vrai. Loss of fans is most likely due to political opinions creeping in and seeping out at games.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sorry. What was I thinking? I don't own a football team! I'm not an advertiser! Why, I have no business asking these sorts of uninformed questions!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sorry. What was I thinking? I don't own a football team! I'm not an advertiser! Why, I have no business asking these sorts of uninformed questions!

Starting out with this "People growing, finally, sick of people hurting one another for entertainment" makes me think you have no clue at all.

PeoplesElbow

The problem I have with the NFL is that every part of it is geared to generate more money. The rules were changed to generate more money, the rules have made it so that most aren't decided until the very end of the game to keep viewers attached to the TV to make advertisers happy. Games are strung out longer for TV purposes etc. I wouldn't doubt if fake drama was put in like in NASCAR to generate money.

I have grown to hate the Touchdown, Commercial, Extra point, Commercial, Kickoff, Commercial BS. I have pretty much quit watching NFL and only watch college football now, it was always better anyway. I am a bit sad to see that option football isn't as prevalent as it one was though, loved watching option football.

jg21

The NFL is almost unwatchable with all of the commercial breaks, so I just DVR every game and sit down to watch 1 hour after kickoff. No commercials, no halftime talking heads; it's great.
I would never pay a premium to watch the NFL.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
...the nfl is casting about to find ways to deal with lost customers. People growing, finally, sick of people hurting one another for entertainment, the incomprehensible nature of when and why penalties are called, the mind numbing tedium of commercials.

Handout a Gladius to every player :shrug:

oh what you didn't want them hurting each other - Players on Politics - ESPN on politics

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I enjoy the local games that are broadcast on the radio. It's not as entertaining as the days of Sonny, Sam & Frank, but still quality entertainment. Plus you can do other things while listening which you can't do if you are glued to a chair.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Stop making me pay for worthless, mean nothing pre-season tickets in my season ticket package. That $450.00 savings would change my attitude a bit.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I enjoy the local games that are broadcast on the radio. It's not as entertaining as the days of Sonny, Sam & Frank, but still quality entertainment. Plus you can do other things while listening which you can't do if you are glued to a chair.

You are a tolerant man. I can't stand larry Micheal nor Cooley nor docs commentary. Chris is interesting during the week but doing games, not so much.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Those commercial breaks on the TurkeyDay game were mind numbingly long! Holy Chit!

Just like the 4:38 minute SSB by Aretha Franklin. I was timing it as soon as she ran off the first chord riff. Completely deflated me, and I could almost see the players coming down from their pre-game edge......

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
You are a tolerant man. I can't stand larry Micheal nor Cooley nor docs commentary. Chris is interesting during the week but doing games, not so much.

Is there anyone more passionate on the airwaves than Rick Walker?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just like the 4:38 minute SSB by Aretha Franklin. I was timing it as soon as she ran off the first chord riff. Completely deflated me, and I could almost see the players coming down from their pre-game edge......

I thought she was brilliant

Shutout

The problem I have with the NFL is that every part of it is geared to generate more money. The rules were changed to generate more money, the rules have made it so that most aren't decided until the very end of the game to keep viewers attached to the TV to make advertisers happy. Games are strung out longer for TV purposes etc. I wouldn't doubt if fake drama was put in like in NASCAR to generate money.

I have grown to hate the Touchdown, Commercial, Extra point, Commercial, Kickoff, Commercial BS. I have pretty much quit watching NFL and only watch college football now, it was always better anyway. I am a bit sad to see that option football isn't as prevalent as it one was though, loved watching option football.
This. I haven't watched a complete game all season.