Massachusetts college removes American flag

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-college-removes-american-flag-from-campus/8351880
AMHERST, Mass. — A Massachusetts college is removing the American flag from its campus.

Days after the election, someone burned the American flag at Hampshire College in Amherst.

The school then put up a new flag and lowered it to half-staff, in solidarity with those fearing a Donald Trump presidency.

That sparked backlash from those who see the flag as a symbol for all that is great about America.
School leaders have decided to remove it entirely.

glhs837

Power with Control
No part of this story doesn't just grind my gears, it makes freaking ninja stars of rage out of them. If there was ever a need for a Gunny to stand someone down and lay some leadership on them, it's the President of this college. He needs to spend some time in Dover and Arlington learning why the flag is so important.

Hijinx

No part of this story doesn't just grind my gears, it makes freaking ninja stars of rage out of them. If there was ever a need for a Gunny to stand someone down and lay some leadership on them, it's the President of this college. He needs to spend some time in Dover and Arlington learning why the flag is so important.

This is an act that I as an American cannot fathom.
How could supposed intelligent Americans refuse to fly an American flag at a school of higher learning.
Can we assume that some of the students in this college have borrowed money from fellow Americans, (Tax Money) to pay their tuition?
Does this college get tax relief and perhap tax funds from the American Government?
Is this college not in America?.Are they simply COWARDS.Frightened by a few unruly students who are wet behind the ears and have no idea what patriotic Americans (Veterans and others)have done to ensure their right to act like the little sh1theads they are? Or do they agree with these little sh1theads, and are haters of the country they live in.

I'm sure glad we live in a country where you aren't required to fly the flag or belong to a certain political party. Keep your "love it or leave it" attitude out of my country TYVM.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm sure glad we live in a country where you aren't required to fly the flag or belong to a certain political party. Keep your "love it or leave it" attitude out of my country TYVM.

:yeahthat: ####ing facists!

Hijinx

Yes we can tell you have a great deal of pride in your country.

glhs837

Power with Control

Who said anyone was going to be required to do anything, beyond not steal and destroy things the belong to others? But if you are going to fly the flag, follow the customs as published. You dont just lower the flag to half mast because someone won an election, that's just silly. Let the students buy and display one that way if they wish. And if some jackass then decides you have not pandered enough to their silliness, and they need to steal and destroy, like a child marking the walls with crayon because Mommy didn't let them get their way, the American way is to censure such, not to cater to them. The flag is a symbol of things. And if you wont treat it as if it is, then don't fly the damn thing at all.

I never said you had to love this country of leave it. You can hate it and stay. Hell, go buy a flag and burn it. That's your right. I think the student that stole and destroyed the flag is a coward and cretin. But most of my anger is reserved for the administration of the college who cannot muster the moral courage to stand up for the flag the symbolizes the freedom to burn it.

Hijinx

Who said anyone was going to be required to do anything, beyond not steal and destroy things the belong to others? But if you are going to fly the flag, follow the customs as published. You dont just lower the flag to half mast because someone won an election, that's just silly. Let the students buy and display one that way if they wish. And if some jackass then decides you have not pandered enough to their silliness, and they need to steal and destroy, like a child marking the walls with crayon because Mommy didn't let them get their way, the American way is to censure such, not to cater to them. The flag is a symbol of things. And if you wont treat it as if it is, then don't fly the damn thing at all.

I never said you had to love this country of leave it. You can hate it and stay. Hell, go buy a flag and burn it. That's your right. I think the student that stole and destroyed the flag is a coward and cretin. But most of my anger is reserved for the administration of the college who cannot muster the moral courage to stand up for the flag the symbolizes the freedom to burn it.

Very well said. Whoever runs this school is an idiot. I don't care if he has ten PHD's he is an idiot.

Well spoken. I really have a problem with the "holier than thou" or "more patriotic than thou" mindset a lot of people have. Don't even get me started on "thank you for your service" or "all veterans are heroes".

I have lived in 10 different countries and been in 3 "recognized armed actions" as a military member. Most of my fellow blackshoe sailors saw their service as...a job. We got paid every 2 weeks, and got 3 hots and a cot. Any veteran who demands lifelong government support or total respect from the public can pack sand.

In my experience most people who have been in a war tend to try and not remember or glorify it, whilst the most vocal patriots have never done a dam thing to make their country better.

When people think that anyone who questions that "murica is the best country on earth is evil, commie, and should leave I really have issues with their xenophobia. So if people want to protest the election, say BLM, dress up like tea partiers, or even burn the flag, I don't give a rats azz. If I recall that is what makes this place fun to live in. But when people get their panties in a wad over a flag they should realize it is just a piece of cloth. Sure it represents something, but destroying a flag cannot or will not destroy our country, just like destroying a bible or a koran will destroy a religion. And, inordinate focusing on the symbols of democracy (and religion) detracts from the true message and meaning of what the symbols stand for.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Well spoken. I really have a problem with the "holier than thou" or "more patriotic than thou" mindset a lot of people have. Don't even get me started on "thank you for your service" or "all veterans are heroes".

I have lived in 10 different countries and been in 3 "recognized armed actions" as a military member. Most of my fellow blackshoe sailors saw their service as...a job. We got paid every 2 weeks, and got 3 hots and a cot. Any veteran who demands lifelong government support or total respect from the public can pack sand.

In my experience most people who have been in a war tend to try and not remember or glorify it, whilst the most vocal patriots have never done a dam thing to make their country better.

When people think that anyone who questions that "murica is the best country on earth is evil, commie, and should leave I really have issues with their xenophobia. So if people want to protest the election, say BLM, dress up like tea partiers, or even burn the flag, I don't give a rats azz. If I recall that is what makes this place fun to live in. But when people get their panties in a wad over a flag they should realize it is just a piece of cloth. Sure it represents something, but destroying a flag cannot or will not destroy our country, just like destroying a bible or a koran will destroy a religion. And, inordinate focusing on the symbols of democracy (and religion) detracts from the true message and meaning of what the symbols stand for.

Wow.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall

Yes, I am still up. I don't sleep much, anymore. What pride are you talking about? The pride that the colonists had to forego huge odds to break away from Britain's tyranny?
The pride that Americans ended slavery in America? The pride that America saved the World in World War II, and probably, WWI, too? The pride that my hub has that he was/is a Marine? I really don't get you. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

One more thing. You say you are/were in the military. Do you have pride in that?

Last edited: