Clinton’s loss is one more nail in the coffin of center-left politics in the West

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Clinton’s loss is one more nail in the coffin of center-left politics in the West

PARIS — When Donald Trump shocked the world with an upset victory in the U.S. presidential election this month, much of Europe was aghast.

But in at least one critical sense, the result couldn’t have been more European: Across the continent, parties of the center-left that have dominated politics for decades — and that have given Europe its reputation for generous social welfare systems — now find themselves beaten, divided and directionless. Hillary Clinton and the Democrats are just the latest members of a beleaguered club.

In Germany and Britain, once-mighty center-left parties have been badly diminished, locked out of their nations’ top jobs for the foreseeable future. In Spain and Greece, they have been usurped by newer, more radical alternatives. And in France and Italy, they’re still governing — but their days in power may be numbered. The rout of the center-left has even extended deep into Scandinavia, perhaps the world’s premier bastion of social democracy.

Overall, the total vote share for the continent’s traditional center-left parties is now at its lowest level since at least World War II. Like the Democrats, these parties have been marginalized, with little influence over policy as the right prepares to place its stamp on the Western world in a way that could endure for decades.

the pendulum swings back and forth ....

SamSpade

the pendulum swings back and forth ....

Because people keep hoping, with each swing, that things will get better.
This election was different because two candidates became immensely popular - because they weren't part of the typical "swing".
Bernie got stomped by his own party - and Wikileaks showed that the party colluded with Clinton to erase him.
Trump succeeded because - there were too many candidates, and Jeb and Marco just didn't appeal to enough people.
Had it been JUST Jeb and Donald - I think the GOP would have crushed him.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump succeeded because - there were too many candidates, and Jeb and Marco just didn't appeal to enough people.

lets face it, the GOP had the same tired old establishment candidates .... Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, BUSH, Christie, Santorum, Rand Paul
[really who wants ANOTHER Bush]

..... then Huckabee, Carson and Fiorina
[Huckabee is probably an establishment guy as well, I just do not see him that way]

SamSpade

lets face it, the GOP had the same tired old establishment candidates .... Kasich, Cruz, Rubio, BUSH, Christie, Santorum, Rand Paul
[really who wants ANOTHER Bush]

..... then Huckabee, Carson and Fiorina
[Huckabee is probably an establishment guy as well, I just do not see him that way]

I don't think Kasich would have been all that bad - I liked him during the whole Contract With America thing back in the 90's.
He's lost none of that. He just has no charisma - like Hillary.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't think Kasich would have been all that bad ....

his Jesus and Medicare tie together is a bit wacky .... IIRC something like jesus told e to vote for Obamacare was the quote I remember hearing
yes we should help out brothers in need, but not at the end of a gun ....
which is what the men have the come for you when you don't file your tax paper work

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
his Jesus and Medicare tie together is a bit wacky .... IIRC something like jesus told e to vote for Obamacare was the quote I remember hearing
which is what the men have the come for you when you don't file your tax paper work

Unfortunately, the quote heard 'round the world isn't what you remember it as.

philibusters

It wasn't that whacky. He was appealing to Christians. He was asked why he supported Ohio adopting Obamacare's medicaid expansion (which increased the free healthcare available to those below the poverty line). He said when you die and you are trying to enter into heaven and St. Peter is policing the gate, St. Peter is going to ask you what you did for the poor not did you support small government. Jesus was never mentioned.

Here is the quote: "Now, when you die and get to the meeting with St. Peter, he’s probably not going to ask you much about what you did about keeping government small. But he is going to ask you what you did for the poor. You better have a good answer.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Here is the quote: "Now, when you die and get to the meeting with St. Peter, he’s probably not going to ask you much about what you did about keeping government small. But he is going to ask you what you did for the poor. You better have a good answer.”

Indeed .... you and Lurk are correct no direct mention of Jesus, but the implication is there
... God / Jesus / The Good Word in the Bible encourages me to help my brother - fine pull out YOUR Wallet and help your brother

my analysis still stands .... don't rob me at gun point to give money to someone else