Trump Team Divided Over Romney, Giuliani For Secretary Of State

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Donald Trump's advisers are divided over the President-elect's two top choices for secretary of state, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) and former New York Major Rudy Giuliani (R), with those opposed to Romney taking their concerns public, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

On Thursday morning, Trump's former campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, published tweets warning that Trump's avid supporters were disappointed by the possibility that Romney could serve in Trump's cabinet.

Asked to elaborate on her tweets about Romney, Conway told the New York Times that Trump's grassroots supporters who are upset about Romney are "not against something he said, but something he may do."

Other Trump supporters like former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA), and Fox pundit Sean Hannity have also publicly warned against nominating Romney to serve as the nation's top diplomat. Huckabee said on Wednesday that choosing Romney, who was the GOP presidential nominee in 2012, would be an "insult" to Trump's supporters. Gingrich said Tuesday that Romney's views may not be in line with Trump's vision for foreign policy.

Trump has told aides that Romney "looks the part," a senior Trump official told the New York Times. But Trump has also praised Giuliani, the Times reported. "

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-loyalists-romney-verses-giuliani?utm_content=buffer38fd5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

trump180.png

Last edited:

SamSpade

So? I think Romney - provided he can get on board with Trump - wouldn't be a bad choice.

The left is TRYING to create a tempest in a teapot.

SamSpade

I suppose it's up to Trump, but Romney would be last on my list.

Remember "the 80's are calling, they want their foreign policy back"? Because according to Obama, Russia is our *friend*.
Apparently, friends invade Ukraine, annex Crimea, shoot down planes and attack our guys in Syria.
And I guess hack our emails.

Romney was right about them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think Romney has proven without a doubt that he is not a diplomat in any sense of the word. It's not terribly diplomatic to go off on some psychotic public rant and call Trump a phony and a fraud, and call his supporters suckers.

More recently:

"Hitting on married women? Condoning assault? Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America's face to the world."

Yeah, that's a real Team USA diplomat right there. Romney has even been on the receiving end of the vitriolic Left, so you'd think he'd be a little more circumspect before jumping on their character assassination train. I'm not even sure why he would be considered at all.

Pete

Repete
I think Romney has proven without a doubt that he is not a diplomat in any sense of the word. It's not terribly diplomatic to go off on some psychotic public rant and call Trump a phony and a fraud, and call his supporters suckers.

More recently:

"Hitting on married women? Condoning assault? Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America's face to the world."

Yeah, that's a real Team USA diplomat right there. Romney has even been on the receiving end of the vitriolic Left, so you'd think he'd be a little more circumspect before jumping on their character assassination train. I'm not even sure why he would be considered at all.

I agree, did not like it when they met, do not like him being considered. This has to be because Rudy is resisting for some reason. Perhaps the pay cut.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Remember "the 80's are calling, they want their foreign policy back"? Because according to Obama, Russia is our *friend*.
Apparently, friends invade Ukraine, annex Crimea, shoot down planes and attack our guys in Syria.
And I guess hack our emails.

Romney was right about them.

Now sam, let's not facts and reason enter into the equation. Just because ol mitt not only saw Russia reemerging onto the international scene as a major concern for the us and had the courage of his convictions to say so, repeatedly as Obama denied and dismissed, and not only did most of the trump bots just end 4 years of arguing how mitt would have been a fine choice for potus, none of that, and being a decent human being, solid family, do we really want that getting in the way of the anger and rage underlying all of this? Trump would show guts, confidence and wisdom choosing mitt. Do we really want that?

Hijinx

Now sam, let's not facts and reason enter into the equation. Just because ol mitt not only saw Russia reemerging onto the international scene as a major concern for the us and had the courage of his convictions to say so, repeatedly as Obama denied and dismissed, and not only did most of the trump bots just end 4 years of arguing how mitt would have been a fine choice for potus, none of that, and being a decent human being, solid family, do we really want that getting in the way of the anger and rage underlying all of this? Trump would show guts, confidence and wisdom choosing mitt. Do we really want that?

You don't really believe that Larry why put out that BS.;