Hard boiled eggs

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is this hard??

Which is a rhetorical question because it's not hard at all. Put eggs in pot; fill with water; set on stove on high until water comes to a boil; cover pot and remove from heat; wait 10-12 minutes; drain hot water and replace with cold water to cool eggs; peel and eat.

So why can't hotels manage this simple task? Or even if they get their HBEs from somewhere else, why can't *they* manage it? My biggest peeve - like, out of all my peeves this is the one that irritates me most - is that stinky gray-green foulness around improperly boiled egg yolks. Especially since it's so easy to correct and there's no need whatsoever for it to exist.

And that is standard in almost every single hotel that offers breakfast - horribly overcooked hard boiled eggs. It's very rare to find properly cooked HBEs, and I cannot understand why this is the case. It's just bull#### and there's no excuse for it.

SamSpade

So why can't hotels manage this simple task?

Probably two reasons.

1. It just LOOKS gross - it's perfectly edible. So why bother? and
2. What you already know - they don't cool them, so they continue to cook with latent heat. Possibly because they don't want to serve a cold egg, because who knows how long they'll sit there.

glhs837

Power with Control
Because the downside of an overcooked egg is miniscule compared to the downside of an undercooked egg. You bith here, maybe on the company website. Are you going to change hotels? Nah. Undercooked, and some helicopter MaMas little snowflake has a bad tummy for a few days? Oh hell, get that up on FB and it's over. Complete with pics of vids of the wee tyke projectile vomiting in the family's Subaru and MaMas worried face and "OMG, lil Tyler could have DIED he was choking, and the diarrhea hd him dehydrated, and his electrolyte balance was off for DAYS!!!!!!!!"

So yeah, you're getting green yolks.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Probably two reasons.

1. It just LOOKS gross - it's perfectly edible. So why bother? and
2. What you already know - they don't cool them, so they continue to cook with latent heat. Possibly because they don't want to serve a cold egg, because who knows how long they'll sit there.

I don't think I've ever had a warm HBE and the thought of it is disgusting.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because the downside of an overcooked egg is miniscule compared to the downside of an undercooked egg. You bith here, maybe on the company website. Are you going to change hotels? Nah. Undercooked, and some helicopter MaMas little snowflake has a bad tummy for a few days? Oh hell, get that up on FB and it's over. Complete with pics of vids of the wee tyke projectile vomiting in the family's Subaru and MaMas worried face and "OMG, lil Tyler could have DIED he was choking, and the diarrhea hd him dehydrated, and his electrolyte balance was off for DAYS!!!!!!!!"

So yeah, you're getting green yolks.

I'll bet that's exactly what it is.

Well green fart smelling eggs makes me sick. I should sue. :jameo:

PeoplesElbow

I disagree that over cooking HBEs gives the yolk that green/gray color. I was boiling some one time and forgot about them, 45 minutes later I took them off the stove, let them cool in some tepid water and they were the best and easiest to peel eggs that I ever boiled. The yolks were bright yellow from the outside all the way through and they had the hell boiled out of them.

nobody really

I need a nap
I boiled the s hit out of eggs once. literally. they were just egg shells. not HBEs. More like SBOOHBEs. #### boiled out of hard boiled eggs.

and how do you make omelets in plastic bags? interesting.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Ok.... regarding green yolks.... I have never had a green yolk. Always boil for 5, set in the hot water for 10, always come out perfect.

Until last week. Used my same ol' method and I got a green-edged yolk. Just one out of 6. I know it was not over-cooked. So the egg itself may have something to do with it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You should speak nicely nice about that poor man, especially if he's the recipient of the fart smelling eggs you eat.. :killingme:

Please do not misunderstand. I am an egg person. Any style. I'm like Bubba, only with eggs. Benedict, hard boiled, fried over, sunny side up, poached, scrambled, quiche, custard, three minute, omelettes. And I can properly cook a egg every time, no matter how you order it. I would no sooner eat a farty green egg than I would eat a dog turd. It's wrong and only wrong people make them, and even wronger people eat them instead of verbally abusing the person who did that to an incredible edible egg.

And I ALWAYS speak nicely about Monello because he's THE MAN, and I am smart enough to be aware of that.