Bush Saved American Lives

This_person

It would seem Pres.-Elect Trump is inaccurate about something. Many liberals believe we should not have gone into Afghanistan, but it seems that saved us from a second wave of attacks.

CybWPSNXUAELiN2.jpg

I always thought Reagan was wrong for that, and Clinton, etc., etc. Seems I was right, and Pres-Elect Trump not so much.

Sorry, Larry.

tommyjo

I don't see or remember much anti-Afghanistan attack sentiment.

Everyone seems to now agree that we should have never invaded Iraq.

Hijinx

I don't see or remember much anti-Afghanistan attack sentiment.

Everyone seems to now agree that we should have never invaded Iraq.

Your boy saw what happened in Iraq and then stupidly decided to get rid a GHaddafy and then even more stupidly created ISIS to get rid of Assad.
So don't be knocking on Bush.

This_person

Huh??? Was 2008 THAT long ago? Obama himself said A'stan was the 'good' war DURING his campaign.

The reason I said "sorry Larry" is because you've said we should have followed Reagan's and Clinton's lead. I have (and continue to) vociferously disagreed, and KSM seems to say the exact reason why I've said those responses were wrong - he says they took it exactly like I suggested they would have taken it, which lead to al Qaeda's confidence in attacking us.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The reason I said "sorry Larry" is because you've said we should have followed Reagan's and Clinton's lead. I have (and continue to) vociferously disagreed, and KSM seems to say the exact reason why I've said those responses were wrong - he says they took it exactly like I suggested they would have taken it, which lead to al Qaeda's confidence in attacking us.

Did I? If i did, that's not what I meant 'follow his lead'. What I KNOW I've said, any number of times, is that Reagan showed GREAT wisdom and restraint cutting our losses, tucking tail and leaving Beirut.
And I've said Dubbya's mistake was NOT in going to Iraq. It was in losing. Wars of liberation can NEVER be off the table for the US. Losing them MUST be.

As for A'stan, that was the height of my optimism; go in, obliterate the bad guys. LEAVE. We had most of the world behind us, the moral high ground and the time and place and men and material.

And then...Tora Bora.

The White House told Delta to stand down and let the locals, who'd be helping us, finish the job so, politically, it would look like whomever the moron in the WH who decided this wanted it to look. They threw away EVERYTHING we had. The Moral high ground. The righteousness. The opportunity. And bin Laden got away and so did a great moment.

I've been told by several people involved at a couple different layers (no one who was actually there) that the thought was, at the time "We just ####ed up". One even said it in those exact words.

Imagine December of 2001, bin Laden is dead. We're just. Righteous. Standing up to our values. And going home to rebuild.

Instead? We went into Iraq and ####ed up some more. Why? Inept leadership? Weak leadership? He meant to #### up both of them? I think it's a simple as money; going big army in both places means lots more money and medals for powerful people. Going in, doing the job and leaving is like a doctor curing you instead of treating you. Who wants that?

This_person

Did I? If i did, that's not what I meant 'follow his lead'. What I KNOW I've said, any number of times, is that Reagan showed GREAT wisdom and restraint cutting our losses, tucking tail and leaving Beirut.

But, KSM said pretty clearly that Reagan did NOT show wisdom, he showed cowardice. His actions lead to bolder and bolder actions by the terrorists against us. The following presidents and their cowardice continued the emboldening the terrorists.

Reagan's response was wrong. Reagan's response created the continued attacks. Clinton's response created the continued attacks.

Along comes W, scares the #### out of them, and they change their plans for continued attacks.

Then comes BHO, who shows more cowardice than Ron, GHWB, or Slick Willie. And, then, ISIS.

Reagan's response was wrong.

This_person

Can we at least agree that in the Islamic world wisdom = :dead: That a leader is known by whom he kills, first and foremost?

I would word it differently. In the strict fundamentalist Islamic world, strength = leadership = wisdom. What WE might call wisdom would not be called wisdom in that world.

That means doing something that is the opposite of demonstrating strength is not a wise choice, is not wisdom. It sets the stage for tragedy to occur to the ones not demonstrating strength.

Grumpy

Bump..gotta keep this on the new posts, just seeing "Bush" on the title has to be driving Larry crazy(or crazier)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
FWIW, if we're gonna be taking into account what KSM said, we gotta consider his boss visualized exactly what we did do; take our armies to their lands so he could get their hands on us and bleed us out over time as well as getting to turn on ourselves at home which we have also obligingly done. Bin Laden's desires were exactly what you're arguing KSM didn't want.

In any event, clearly, the US is dramatically diminished since 9/11 both morally and as a practical matter.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bump..gotta keep this on the new posts, just seeing "Bush" on the title has to be driving Larry crazy(or crazier)

You'll be disappointed to know that when the good people of South Carolina rejected him out of hand when he tried to support 'ol Jeb my faith in the 'merican people was restored. I'm not the only one who understand just how much damage that man did to the US and I'm not the only one who will never miss him. I'm at peace.

:buddies:

Now, if Trump decides he has a place for him, man, that could change my fueng shui and right now! :lol:

Just for fun, what would he have him do? Sec of Interior, head brush clearer? Presidents Counsel on fitness, head bicyclist in chief? Sec State???? CAIR liaison?

This_person

FWIW, if we're gonna be taking into account what KSM said, we gotta consider his boss visualized exactly what we did do; take our armies to their lands so he could get their hands on us and bleed us out over time as well as getting to turn on ourselves at home which we have also obligingly done. Bin Laden's desires were exactly what you're arguing KSM didn't want.

In any event, clearly, the US is dramatically diminished since 9/11 both morally and as a practical matter.
Yes, that hindsight was reported as exactly 20/20.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That the way we handled some of the past was wrong. Specifically, things like Beirut.

I don't remember Trump commenting on Beirut. I'd submit that a whole bunch of how we handled our past was wrong. But, in the context of your OP, what specifically was Trump wrong about?