Range Rover Safety Feature

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Following a range rover this morning and looks like they need to protect us more by having red LED lights at bottom of bumper that are WAY to bright. It really took your eyes off the brake lights !

John Z

if you will
Following a range rover this morning and looks like they need to protect us more by having red LED lights at bottom of bumper that are WAY to bright. It really took your eyes off the brake lights !

Some European vehicles have factory rear foglight/foglights. They are like a red brake light. I see them a lot, and I assume most drivers aren't aware they have them on. Can indeed be annoying.

glhs837

Power with Control
Pretty sure that's not a stock feature. Tail lamps, like other lights are regulated as to allowed brightness.

John Z

if you will
looked pretty stock in bumper, looked brighter then the brake lights when they were applied. They work in my hanger, going to go look. yup its a sport and these are them bottom lights....

http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/range-rover-sport-off-road-suv/exterior-gallery.html

The red lenses at the far corners of the bumper? I suppose they could have replaced the bulbs with higher intensity units... But some of those rear fogs are pretty bright.

Nice ride that person has, BTW. :smile:

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, those are stock locations for a thing. But the aftermarket quite often steps in and will offer lights for locations that were only reflectors stock. Ah, here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCIFyAA9AhY

Road test videol, look around 3:10 for the brake lights..... look like this

Range Rover Brake lights.jpg

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
nope it was the lights to left and right of black part of bumper, FULL bright all the time. They really did seem overly bright at 0545 ;-(((((

John Z

if you will
Yeah, I believe it. Not sure what GoesLikeHell was stating regarding the brake lights. Frequently the rear fogs are in a different location, like in the RR Sport you encountered.

glhs837

Power with Control
nope it was the lights to left and right of black part of bumper, FULL bright all the time. They really did seem overly bright at 0545 ;-(((((

That was the point of the video, that a stock vehicle does not have lights in that location down by the bumper, just reflectors. So it's not Range Rovers safety idea. But rather the owner of that vehicle who has added those lights. Around 5:45, or a bit later, coming out of the mudpit, the reflector does do that, reflect, but the brakes lights are not on when that happens. Again, pretty sure there are not lights in that location stock, just reflectors.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, I believe it. Not sure what GoesLikeHell was stating regarding the brake lights. Frequently the rear fogs are in a different location, like in the RR Sport you encountered.

1. Lights were stated to be bright red lights that came on when the brakes were applied, only way down on the bumper.

2. Factory back up lights (what you are calling fogs) are white. So what he saw cannot be those, since they are tied to the transmission being placed in reverse. Unless you place the transmission in reverse, those lights cannot be turned on.

3. The Feds regulate what lights you have, and what color and intensity light they may emit. One part of making a foreign vehicle US compliant s making sure it meets US lighting requirements

So, to reiterate, if you see brake lights on a vehicle significantly brighter than others on that same vehicle, odds are pretty good that the owner had them added.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I dont know, i'll find out who the person is and ask them if they added aftermarket lights. During daytime driving those might not be on if they are factory? Then im going to take a hammer to them ;-)))))))))

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pretty sure that's not a stock feature. Tail lamps, like other lights are regulated as to allowed brightness.

Nope, rear facing fog lights..

It's actually a "ticketable" offense to run them in clear weather..

BUT having driven in Europe.. worth having them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That was the point of the video, that a stock vehicle does not have lights in that location down by the bumper, just reflectors. So it's not Range Rovers safety idea. But rather the owner of that vehicle who has added those lights. Around 5:45, or a bit later, coming out of the mudpit, the reflector does do that, reflect, but the brakes lights are not on when that happens. Again, pretty sure there are not lights in that location stock, just reflectors.

My Discovery has the same light(s) but only on one side of the bumper.

Tail lights and turn signal are up high.. fog light is in the bumper.

John Z

if you will
But the lights in question are red like brake lights.

GLH, I do not believe the OP asserted that the rear fogs came on only when the brake lights were illuminating. Only that their brightness was took attention away from the brake lights.

In fact, European rear fogs are red in color, and have the intensity of a brake light. They are in fact legal here in the US. They are activated by another switch position in the headlight/foglight switch array inside the vehicle.

glhs837

Power with Control
GLH, I do not believe the OP asserted that the rear fogs came on only when the brake lights were illuminating. Only that their brightness was took attention away from the brake lights.

In fact, European rear fogs are red in color, and have the intensity of a brake light. They are in fact legal here in the US. They are activated by another switch position in the headlight/foglight switch array inside the vehicle.

Ah, new things every day. I think of fogs as lights to help ME see through the fog. Whereas these are to help others see YOU through the fog.

Land-Rover rear fogs.jpg

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Yup, just like that, guess it was finda foggy this A.M.. So, you turn on foglights and they come on BRIGHT. Mystery Solved i think....