Snowden: Petraeus disclosed more 'highly classified' information than I did

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor who shared classified information about the U.S. government’s surveillance programs with journalists, criticized the U.S. justice system Sunday for how it treats “well-connected” individuals.

Snowden cited the case of retired Gen. David Petraeus, who is being considered by President-elect Donald Trump for the position of secretary of State, as a prime example.

“We have a two-tiered system of justice in the United States, where people who are either well-connected to government or they have access to an incredible amount of resources get very light punishments,” said Snowden in an exclusive interview with Yahoo News published Sunday.

“Perhaps the best-known case in recent history here is Gen. Petraeus — who shared information that was far more highly classified than I ever did with journalists,” he said. "

http://thehill.com/homenews/308693-snowden-petraeus-disclosed-more-highly-classified-information-than-i-did

This_person

He has a lot of conjecture here. How does he know even whether he'll be charged with anything, if what kind of punishment he might receive, if he won't be honest and face the authorities for his actions?

Chris0nllyn

He has a lot of conjecture here. How does he know even whether he'll be charged with anything, if what kind of punishment he might receive, if he won't be honest and face the authorities for his actions?

Probably based on the treatment of other whisteblowers by the Obama administration, regardless of the lip service by them.

This_person

Probably based on the treatment of other whisteblowers by the Obama administration, regardless of the lip service by them.

HIs problem isn't being a whistleblower, though. It's releasing classified information to foreign (including unfriendly) governments. He is comparing the release of that information to other people who have done that, not been a whistleblower.

Chris0nllyn

HIs problem isn't being a whistleblower, though. It's releasing classified information to foreign (including unfriendly) governments. He is comparing the release of that information to other people who have done that, not been a whistleblower.

He didn't release it to government(s). I also don't believe that if he comes back they'll somehow focus on what info was released and how much of it compared to Petraeus and not focus on him being a whistleblower also.

Which is why I said what I did.

Restitution

" Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor who shared classified information about the U.S. government’s surveillance programs with journalists, criticized the U.S. justice system Sunday for how it treats “well-connected” individuals.

Snowden cited the case of retired Gen. David Petraeus, who is being considered by President-elect Donald Trump for the position of secretary of State, as a prime example.

“We have a two-tiered system of justice in the United States, where people who are either well-connected to government or they have access to an incredible amount of resources get very light punishments,” said Snowden in an exclusive interview with Yahoo News published Sunday.

“Perhaps the best-known case in recent history here is Hillary Clinton — who shared information that was far more highly classified than I ever did with any 14 year old who could hack into her illegal home server, he said. "

Went ahead and fixed that for ya' :yay:

PsyOps

Pixelated
“Perhaps the best-known case in recent history here is Gen. Petraeus — who shared information that was far more highly classified than I ever did with journalists,” he said."

This can't even be remotely determined, since no one really knows the full scope of what Snowden stole.

And this is rich:

“And he shared this information not with the public for their benefit, but with his biographer and lover for personal benefit — conversations that had information, detailed information, about military special-access programs, that’s classified above top secret, conversations with the president and so on,”

Where is 'The Hill' getting that any of this information Petraeus was SAP? I've not been able to find anything that supports this.

I'm not going to excuse what Petraeus did - it was wrong and he admitted to it. But comparing how he shared his information vs Snowden is a joke. Snowden stole THOUSANDS of pieces of classified information and took it to our enemies - China and Russia. Petraeus didn't run away from his crimes. Snowden - like the true coward - fled the country.

However, I will agree putting him in the Trump admin is a mistake.

This_person

He didn't release it to government(s). I also don't believe that if he comes back they'll somehow focus on what info was released and how much of it compared to Petraeus and not focus on him being a whistleblower also.

Which is why I said what I did.

When you release it to journalists who then print it, it was released to other governments. When you have it available on you and you relinquish yourself to those governments, you have released it to those governments.

Crimes are not normally compared to others who have committed crimes except in terms of precedence. Given he believes his actions are similar to those of the general, I suspect he will try and use that as precedence.

Who am I kidding? He's never going to face his accusers to try and clear his name, because he so believes he did nothing wrong that he won't come back here.

PsyOps

Pixelated

You call Snowden a whistle blower? It's one thing to call out "wrong-doing" in this country to this country's authorities; it's quite another to steal classified information and take it to another country. It's particular suspicious that he decided, out of all the countries in this world, China and Russia were the appropriate countries to blow his whistle. At this point the guy is a spy as far as I'm concerned.

This_person

It would be Trump's first major mistake to nominate Petraeus.

Only because dishonest people will be able to make it appear like hypocrisy to stupid people, and the stupid people will see it that way.

As for Gen Petraeus, I don't know any good reason why he should NOT be the Sec State, but I like others more.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Only because dishonest people will be able to make it appear like hypocrisy to stupid people, and the stupid people will see it that way.

As for Gen Petraeus, I don't know any good reason why he should NOT be the Sec State, but I like others more.

How honest was it what Petraeus did? He might be qualified for the job in terms of his abilities; but his actions disqualify him, if for nothing else than principle.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Who do you like for SecState? Just curious.. I'm not getting any warm fuzzies about any of his apparent candidates.

I think based on his governorship, his success rescuing the Olympics and all the stuff we hear about him and see and read, Romney would make an excellent choice. Add in the fact that choosing him heals a LOT of raw wounds, ostensibly building, if not outright support, then certainly token or little or no resistance to things Trump wants. I have NO problem, in and of itself with Sec State Romney.

As said a month ago that if Trump REALLY wanted to bring the country together, he should pick Biden as Sec State. I'd prefer him over Mitt. Or, even keeping Kerry isn't out of the question to me.

The more I think about it, the more I think he SHOULD pick Biden or keep Kerry. THAT would be putting nation before party.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I thought Petreus totally failed leading the 'surge'. He played Mr. UN peacekeeper instead of 'kill and destroy the enemy'. That's fine and not his fault if he was asked to be Mr. Rogers but I don't think a solider should accept that sort of mission. Those kids didn't volunteer to be social workers or find IED's with their legs.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I think based on his governorship, his success rescuing the Olympics and all the stuff we hear about him and see and read, Romney would make an excellent choice. Add in the fact that choosing him heals a LOT of raw wounds, ostensibly building, if not outright support, then certainly token or little or no resistance to things Trump wants. I have NO problem, in and of itself with Sec State Romney.

As said a month ago that if Trump REALLY wanted to bring the country together, he should pick Biden as Sec State. I'd prefer him over Mitt. Or, even keeping Kerry isn't out of the question to me.

The more I think about it, the more I think he SHOULD pick Biden or keep Kerry. THAT would be putting nation before party.

What do you think about Jon Huntsman... former Gov of Utah and Ambassador to China?

This_person

How honest was it what Petraeus did? He might be qualified for the job in terms of his abilities; but his actions disqualify him, if for nothing else than principle.

It is feasible it was an honest mistake. Either way, when caught he owned up to it, immediately I understand, and has (and IS) paid for his crime through the process.

I am not sure what his qualifications are beyond that. I simply think that admitted and punished crimes, repentance, should not prohibit one from higher office.

This_person

I thought Petreus totally failed leading the 'surge'. He played Mr. UN peacekeeper instead of 'kill and destroy the enemy'. That's fine and not his fault if he was asked to be Mr. Rogers but I don't think a solider should accept that sort of mission. Those kids didn't volunteer to be social workers or find IED's with their legs.

Sounds like a diplomat, not a soldier. Much like Gen Powell.