Why I Will Not Cast My Electoral Vote for Donald Trump

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Why I Will Not Cast My Electoral Vote for Donald Trump

DALLAS — I am a Republican presidential elector, one of the 538 people asked to choose officially the president of the United States. Since the election, people have asked me to change my vote based on policy disagreements with Donald J. Trump. In some cases, they cite the popular vote difference. I do not think president-elects should be disqualified for policy disagreements. I do not think they should be disqualified because they won the Electoral College instead of the popular vote. However, now I am asked to cast a vote on Dec. 19 for someone who shows daily he is not qualified for the office.

someone need to explain to this douche nozzle what exactly the Presidential Qualifications are ....

black dog

Free America
Any person that holds a public office or position that doesn't do exactly what the constituents that put them in office told / voted them to do should be fired or replaced at the next election.
In a few election cycles the stupidness will come to an end.
Some just don't understand that they work for us.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
People, this is how it is supposed to work. Electors are the last line in protecting the nation from a kook. They do their thing after the election so that, if people lost their minds in the passion of the election or some problem comes to light, the electors can stop it. There's nothing wrong with this and you ought to applaud the guy for his convictions.

black dog

Free America
Whose to say The people have lost their minds and all Electors vote against what the citizens or said State voted for.

somdwatch

People, this is how it is supposed to work. Electors are the last line in protecting the nation from a kook. They do their thing after the election so that, if people lost their minds in the passion of the election or some problem comes to light, the electors can stop it. There's nothing wrong with this and you ought to applaud the guy for his convictions.

Larry, if you read it closely it's an opinion piece. Sorry, as a public servant to the electoral college, he's not entitled to his own opinion. He was appointed to serve the role of the party. At lot of his reasoning is not based in fact, he's been listening to the liberal media.

Rommey

Talk about a flip flopper...

First he says this:
Politico said:
Chris Suprun is a member of the Electoral College from Texas, a state the GOP can reliably count on to deliver votes every four years to the Republican presidential nominee.

But this year, with Donald Trump sitting atop the ticket, Suprun is warning he might not cast his electoral vote for the GOP standard-bearer. Indeed, he won’t rule out throwing his vote to Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton if Trump doesn’t moderate his demeanor.

“I’m not a professional politician. I’ve got no training on this one,” said Suprun. “The nominee is … saying things that in an otherwise typical election year would have you disqualified.”
link

...then he says this...
Politico said:
A Texas elector, Chris Suprun, initially said he’d have trouble backing Trump, even if the Republican prevailed in Texas, as expected. He’s since denied contemplating that he’d oppose Trump in the Electoral College.
link

...now he comes out with an op ed piece...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Larry, if you read it closely it's an opinion piece. Sorry, as a public servant to the electoral college, he's not entitled to his own opinion. He was appointed to serve the role of the party. At lot of his reasoning is not based in fact, he's been listening to the liberal media.

My argument isn't about anyone's opinion. It's about the fact that electors can do as they please. If not, there'd be no point in having them. There may be repercussions but, again, if they couldn't vote otherwise, there'd be no point.

SamSpade

His objections seem lame. Much as I liked Dubya's congenial demeanor in the face of criticism - sometimes he was a freaking doormat.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
His objections seem lame.

Republican Elector Cites ‘SNL,’ ‘Rogue One’ as Reasons He Won’t Vote for Trump

“Finally, Mr. Trump does not understand that the Constitution expressly forbids a president to receive payments or gifts from foreign governments,” Suprun pointed out, saying the incoming president “has played fast and loose with the law for years.”

“The election of the next president is not yet a done deal. Electors of conscience can still do the right thing for the good of the country … I pray my fellow electors will do their job and join with me in discovering who that person should be,” he concluded.

what in GODS Name does this guy think Hillary Clinton has been doing for the last 20 yrs .... following the Rule and or Spirit of the LAW

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Electors are the last line in protecting the nation from a kook.

Um, no. WE the People, not Electors the People. WE. Like, you and me. Not them, US. You may need to be protected from yourself, but I do not. I cast an informed vote and I presume that many Texans did as well. It's not this punk's job to go, "Oh, well, you dummies don't know what you're talking about. By the power of Grayskull, I HAVE THE POWER!" That's bull####.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now that I've read his whole screed, I have a desire to give him a swirly and stuff him in a locker.

"Donald Trump has failed to unite the country!"

What an idiot. Then he goes on to spew every fake news left wing blathering point, which tells me he's not terribly informed and just parrots whatever source his bias has confirmed. The good news is that there are a number of comments from people who are fairly appalled that this guy would negate thousands and thousands of votes because he thinks he knows better than them. That's some arrogant #### right there.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Um, no. WE the People, not Electors the People. WE. Like, you and me. Not them, US. You may need to be protected from yourself, but I do not. I cast an informed vote and I presume that many Texans did as well. It's not this punk's job to go, "Oh, well, you dummies don't know what you're talking about. By the power of Grayskull, I HAVE THE POWER!" That's bull####.

Take it up with the elector system.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Take it up with the elector system.

No, I will take it up with faithless electors who do not perform their duties with regard to the will of the People.

The electoral college system makes perfect sense and it works as intended. It's electors like Mr. Suprun who screw it up.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
No, I don't think I will.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What if he was a gay black illegal immigrant Hillary elector, she had won, and he said he thought trump would be better and that she was a lawless incompetent who was not qualified to be potus?

Just because you'd do something that was contrary to what you were appointed for doesn't mean anyone else would.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just because you'd do something that was contrary to what you were appointed for doesn't mean anyone else would.

Here's the problem. Thus guy is doing exactly what the system was set to do. It's far too simple to verify that so, why are you saying something that's not true?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Here's the problem. Thus guy is doing exactly what the system was set to do. It's far too simple to verify that so, why are you saying something that's not true?

Actually Larry, the electors were selected by "their PARTY" to cast their votes the way "their PARTY" wants them too. Failing to do so can, and should, result in that elector being declared ineligible by "their PARTY" to serve as an elector and be replaced with an elector that will cast the votes in the manner that "their PARTY" wants..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Actually Larry, the electors were selected by "their PARTY" to cast their votes the way "their PARTY" wants them too. Failing to do so can, and should, result in that elector being declared ineligible by "their PARTY" to serve as an elector and be replaced with an elector that will cast the votes in the manner that "their PARTY" wants..

Actually, I wrote that, that there could be repercussions. That's not the point. If they couldn't do this, there'd be no point to electors. Because this is the entire point of electors, to serve as the last fail safe, is the point. We can disagree if he should do this. We can't disagree that he can. And that that ability is the point of electors.

I am assuming you read the link?

awpitt

Main Streeter
No, I will take it up with faithless electors who do not perform their duties with regard to the will of the People.

The electoral college system makes perfect sense and it works as intended. It's electors like Mr. Suprun who screw it up.

That's how the Electoral College works. Not so great now, huh? This guy in TX can vote for whomever he wants. It'll just cost him a fine. If 37 Electors vote for someone besides trump, he'll fall short of the 270 he needs.