Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: SUV not running.... what to do with it

  1. #1
    Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chaptico
    Posts
    3,843

    SUV not running.... what to do with it

    I have an 2000 Expedition that is no longer running. I have no idea what is wrong with it. We are tired of putting money in it to keep it running. I know I could donate it to charity but, with 2 teenage daughters I donate a ton of clothes throughout the year. I cant remember if there's a max to claim as far as donations go but I'm always at it. Anyways, what about those places/people who buy junk vehicles? Can anyone recommend someone? It's sitting in my yard and it needs to go. TIA.

  2. #2
    American Beauty RoseRed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    74,955
    Does anyone know if Brandywine Auto Parts buy Junkers for parts!
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

  3. #3
    If it's in good shape otherwise, good body, no rust, few dings... sell it 'as is'. You'd probably get someone who would be willing to invest a few $ and it sounds like you'd appreciate the cash.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

  4. #4
    Registered User lovinmaryland's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    on cloud nine
    Posts
    16,158
    I had a young client in my office a few weeks back w/ a 2003 Pontiac...sunfire I believe... It had broke down at a store and she had it towed to a shop where they said transmission was kaput! I helped her call a couple of the "we buy cars/take junk cars for scrap" (brandywine auto, the place in mechanicisville, etc..) they would not come pick it up you had to either drive it or tow it there...the highest offer she got was $100. I couldn't believe it. I told her she'd be better off putting it up for sale for parts for $1k and taking the best offer she got.
    "You die and go to heaven, I'll stay here in Bermuda".

  5. #5
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,634
    Yep, Facebook or Craigslist that thing for $1000, and let it go for $800.
    "I aim to misbehave."

  6. #6
    Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chaptico
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinmaryland View Post
    I had a young client in my office a few weeks back w/ a 2003 Pontiac...sunfire I believe... It had broke down at a store and she had it towed to a shop where they said transmission was kaput! I helped her call a couple of the "we buy cars/take junk cars for scrap" (brandywine auto, the place in mechanicisville, etc..) they would not come pick it up you had to either drive it or tow it there...the highest offer she got was $100. I couldn't believe it. I told her she'd be better off putting it up for sale for parts for $1k and taking the best offer she got.
    That's crazy. We had someone come get our VW years back and we were paid I think $250 or so. Cannot for the life of me remember who it was or how we found them. $100 is nuts.

  7. #7
    Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chaptico
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    If it's in good shape otherwise, good body, no rust, few dings... sell it 'as is'. You'd probably get someone who would be willing to invest a few $ and it sounds like you'd appreciate the cash.
    It has some body damage. Someone turned to close to a row of mailboxes . I cannot guarantee anything about the rust. Hubby replaced the break lines (?) because they had rusted. Lower half of engine has been rebuilt and so has the transmission. It ran up until about 6 months or so. We went to use it for a Lowes run and it wouldn't start. It acted like it wanted to but wouldn't "catch". If that makes sense.

  8. #8
    Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chaptico
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Yep, Facebook or Craigslist that thing for $1000, and let it go for $800.

  9. #9
    Registered User DEEKAYPEE8569's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Suthin' Merlin
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by getbent View Post
    I have an 2000 Expedition that is no longer running. I have no idea what is wrong with it. We are tired of putting money in it to keep it running. I know I could donate it to charity but, with 2 teenage daughters I donate a ton of clothes throughout the year. I cant remember if there's a max to claim as far as donations go but I'm always at it. Anyways, what about those places/people who buy junk vehicles? Can anyone recommend someone? It's sitting in my yard and it needs to go. TIA.
    Sell it "As Is" Best Offer or donate it. Write it off.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by getbent View Post
    That's crazy. We had someone come get our VW years back and we were paid I think $250 or so. Cannot for the life of me remember who it was or how we found them. $100 is nuts.
    Scrap metals were way up a few years ago, the scrap value will also change depending upon make and model being scrapped.
    The value is not only in the steel but how much aluminum and what the catalytic converter is worth in scrap.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |