SUV not running.... what to do with it

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I have an 2000 Expedition that is no longer running. I have no idea what is wrong with it. We are tired of putting money in it to keep it running. I know I could donate it to charity but, with 2 teenage daughters I donate a ton of clothes throughout the year. I cant remember if there's a max to claim as far as donations go but I'm always at it. Anyways, what about those places/people who buy junk vehicles? Can anyone recommend someone? It's sitting in my yard and it needs to go. TIA.

If it's in good shape otherwise, good body, no rust, few dings... sell it 'as is'. You'd probably get someone who would be willing to invest a few $ and it sounds like you'd appreciate the cash.

lovinmaryland

I had a young client in my office a few weeks back w/ a 2003 Pontiac...sunfire I believe... It had broke down at a store and she had it towed to a shop where they said transmission was kaput! I helped her call a couple of the "we buy cars/take junk cars for scrap" (brandywine auto, the place in mechanicisville, etc..) they would not come pick it up you had to either drive it or tow it there...the highest offer she got was $100. :eyebrow: :faint: I couldn't believe it. I told her she'd be better off putting it up for sale for parts for $1k and taking the best offer she got.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I had a young client in my office a few weeks back w/ a 2003 Pontiac...sunfire I believe... It had broke down at a store and she had it towed to a shop where they said transmission was kaput! I helped her call a couple of the "we buy cars/take junk cars for scrap" (brandywine auto, the place in mechanicisville, etc..) they would not come pick it up you had to either drive it or tow it there...the highest offer she got was $100. :eyebrow: :faint: I couldn't believe it. I told her she'd be better off putting it up for sale for parts for $1k and taking the best offer she got.

That's crazy. We had someone come get our VW years back and we were paid I think $250 or so. Cannot for the life of me remember who it was or how we found them. $100 is nuts.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
If it's in good shape otherwise, good body, no rust, few dings... sell it 'as is'. You'd probably get someone who would be willing to invest a few $ and it sounds like you'd appreciate the cash.

It has some body damage. Someone turned to close to a row of mailboxes :whistle: . I cannot guarantee anything about the rust. Hubby replaced the break lines (?) because they had rusted. Lower half of engine has been rebuilt and so has the transmission. It ran up until about 6 months or so. We went to use it for a Lowes run and it wouldn't start. It acted like it wanted to but wouldn't "catch". If that makes sense.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have an 2000 Expedition that is no longer running. I have no idea what is wrong with it. We are tired of putting money in it to keep it running. I know I could donate it to charity but, with 2 teenage daughters I donate a ton of clothes throughout the year. I cant remember if there's a max to claim as far as donations go but I'm always at it. Anyways, what about those places/people who buy junk vehicles? Can anyone recommend someone? It's sitting in my yard and it needs to go. TIA.

Sell it "As Is" Best Offer or donate it. Write it off. :shrug:

black dog

Free America
That's crazy. We had someone come get our VW years back and we were paid I think $250 or so. Cannot for the life of me remember who it was or how we found them. $100 is nuts.

Scrap metals were way up a few years ago, the scrap value will also change depending upon make and model being scrapped.
The value is not only in the steel but how much aluminum and what the catalytic converter is worth in scrap.

Clem72

I would just add to make sure you fill out all of the paperwork yourself, and make sure they sign something saying they understand the vehicle is not in running condition, may not pass Maryland inspection, and is being sold as-is.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I would just add to make sure you fill out all of the paperwork yourself, and make sure they sign something saying they understand the vehicle is not in running condition, may not pass Maryland inspection, and is being sold as-is.

Good idea. Thanks

Chris0nllyn

Kars 4 Kids.

Annoying ass commercials, but real easy to deal with. Go online, plug in your info, they send a tow truck and pick it up. Just leave the title in the car. You get the write-off and it's out of your life.

Not sure why kids need cars, but it worked for me. Plus they throw in a few free nights at a hotel. (there's fine print, of course) I didn't take them up on it, but it was offered.

Forkian

Can you post some pictures of this fine vehicle? I might be interested in taking it off of your hands for the right price! But I would like to see how bad the damage is first.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Can you post some pictures of this fine vehicle? I might be interested in taking it off of your hands for the right price! But I would like to see how bad the damage is first.

Sure. I can when I get home this afternoon.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
well up in PG County anyway, signs are all over junk cars $ 100 - $ 250 paid
[prices are down with scrap value being down]

but I got rid of an 83 Jeep I got $ 300 cash

how many miles are on the SUV

DEEKAYPEE8569

aka....."For Sale" "As Is" Even typing up a bill of sale works. Technically it's a written handshake. "I insert name sell one year/make/model (VIN: ) to insert name "AS IS" for $(insert $ amount) on insert current day/date" There.....done.

glhs837

Power with Control
Kars 4 Kids.

Annoying ass commercials, but real easy to deal with. Go online, plug in your info, they send a tow truck and pick it up. Just leave the title in the car. You get the write-off and it's out of your life.

Not sure why kids need cars, but it worked for me. Plus they throw in a few free nights at a hotel. (there's fine print, of course) I didn't take them up on it, but it was offered.

Well, to get to the liquor store, duh.

But jokes aside, I did get rid of a 99 Blazer that's transmission had died, and since I was swearing off GMs going forward, just wanted it gone.