Why Republican health reform ideas are likely to fail

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Obamacare is squarely in the cross hairs of the incoming Trump administration and congressional Republicans: Both the president-elect and Republican congressional leaders have said they plan to repeal and replace the sweeping health care law. What comes next? They’ve assured the public there will be an orderly transition, and that Americans who don’t have insurance through an employer will still have choices of stable, affordable, high-quality coverage.

Republican leaders have suggested a few ideas, including creating high-risk pools for people with pre-existing conditions, allowing interstate health plan competition, expanding the availability of health savings accounts and providing tax subsidies for individuals with low incomes. President-elect Donald Trump also has said he wants to keep Obamacare’s requirement that insurers cover those with pre-existing medical conditions. Most important is what Republicans say won’t be in their plan: a mandate for Americans to purchase health insurance.

This set of policies is highly unlikely to result in stable, affordable, high-quality coverage choices. I should know: As Rhode Island’s health insurance commissioner from 2005 to 2013, I was responsible for trying to implement a system that made many similar promises. What we found, in the end, was that without a requirement to buy, many healthy people opt out of insurance, resulting in an unstable market that requires heavy regulation with limited choices. Republicans are likely to face the same challenges with their favored reforms in the years ahead. "

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2016/12/republican-health-reform-ideas-obamacare-unlikely-work-000252

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
OMG Hypocrite much??

This is why Politico is such a joke. They rahrahed over the disaster that was Obamacare, even after it became clear that it was a disaster, and now they want to pre-criticize anything some flesh eating Hitler of a Republican comes up with??

Good grief.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I like all the Trump pundits.
They all use the words, maybe, probably, likely, could, might, possibly, potentially, etc.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I like all the Trump pundits.
They all use the words, maybe, probably, likely, could, might, possibly, potentially, etc.

Yet they used much more definitive and absolute terms when describing Trump's chances of winning the election.

Go figure.