Highlights Magazine for Children

mAlice

professional daydreamer
A lesbian mom reportedly complained that the magazine Hello didn't feature any same-sex families. Hello's audience is children 0-2, and it's published by Highlights. Highlights had explained that they believe parents should decide when to bring up the topic because it's "still new, and parents are still learning how to approach the subject with their children, even the very little ones." They wanted to allow parents the opportunity to talk to their children about homosexuality as they considered appropriate. But after backlash from the LGBT community, Highlights committed to including same-sex families in future publications.

http://www.onemillionmoms.com/current-campaigns/highlights-magazine-has-caved-to-the-left/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh for crying out loud. :rolleyes: I wish these stupid activists would get a life and stop bitching about everything under the sun. And I really REALLY wish everyone would stop cowtowing to them like they're the freaking mafia or something.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Oh for crying out loud. :rolleyes: I wish these stupid activists would get a life and stop bitching about everything under the sun. And I really REALLY wish everyone would stop cowtowing to them like they're the freaking mafia or something.

I was so disappointed when I heard this. I was going a subscription for Pickle.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Remember when Cheerios came out a few years ago with one with a white mom, black dad, and bi-racial daughter and what a scandal that caused? Now a lot of commercials feature mixed raced couples or bi-racial kids.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Remember when Cheerios came out a few years ago with one with a white mom, black dad, and bi-racial daughter and what a scandal that caused? Now a lot of commercials feature mixed raced couples or bi-racial kids.

are you comparing biracial marriage to being gay?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I would not be subscribing after this ..... gays are what 3% of 315 million people

the tyranny of the minority marches on

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That was media created. When they first started blathering about the commercial, the consensus on much of social media was, "Oh wow!" As in, they hadn't really made note of the interracial mom and dad. And I was one of them. So no, I don't remember a "scandal". Interracial couples and their biracial children haven't been remarkable in at least 30 years.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Still a good magazine, or it was last time I saw one at the doctor's office.

What they could have done is just had a same-sex parenting situation without making a big deal out of it. It's unlikely anyone would have noticed until the media told them to. Gay couples haven't been noteworthy in a good 20 years.

nobody really

I need a nap
this may be off topic, but has anyone seen the transgender guy on the Maybelline mascara commercial..."equality for all lashes!"....I mean, really.....

Chris0nllyn

Where is the last place parents would suspect their kiddos to be exposed to same-sex "families" portrayed as normal?
Parents are seeing more examples of children being indoctrinated to same-sex families as normal, especially in the media.

Give me a break. To children of gay parents, it is normal. Should they not have anything, ever, that shows their situation is normal? Or maybe the other kids should come in to class and scream about how their parents are gay, going to hell, and how great of an episode Alex Jones had yesterday?

You religious nutters crack me up. "Gay people are horrible and should never be seen as mainstream because it's for the kids." But don't worry about the half naked women on billboards selling alcohol, the beer commercials during football games, or the overall divorce rate from so-called "normal" parents.

Hijinx

Give me a break. To children of gay parents, it is normal. Should they not have anything, ever, that shows their situation is normal? Or maybe the other kids should come in to class and scream about how their parents are gay, going to hell, and how great of an episode Alex Jones had yesterday?

You religious nutters crack me up. "Gay people are horrible and should never be seen as mainstream because it's for the kids." But don't worry about the half naked women on billboards selling alcohol, the beer commercials during football games, or the overall divorce rate from so-called "normal" parents.

You don't have to be a religious nut to not be pro gay. Why should anyone be forced to agree that mental illness is normal when it isn';t.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Give me a break. To children of gay parents, it is normal. Should they not have anything, ever, that shows their situation is normal?

I object to the shining a spotlight on children of gay couples, pointing fingers, and screaming, "Hey!! Look at this kid! See how normal he is?? That's one normal kid, right there. Look close - stare even. Let's all stare at the normal kid!" LGBT activists are guilty as sin of doing this to further their stupid agenda. They are not bitching for the sake of children or anyone else - they just want to be activists and raise hell about something.

I don't think Highlights magazine is the appropriate venue for sexuality and gender issues to be played out. Why make a big huge deal about this stuff...to preschoolers?

Hijinx

So you're just a nut then? Got it.

Call me anything you like. It doesn't bother me. I have opinions. You do not have to agree with them. Millions of Americans do not like gay marriage, abortion, inter racial marriage,Obamacare or Hillary Clinton.

Does that make me wrong or just wrong because my opinions and those of millions of other Americans don't agree with you.?

You see Opinions are like asholes, everyone has one,, and not everyone appreciates yours.

So who is the nut? Me? Because I don't agree with you? Or you because you are overwhelmed with Political Correctness and agree with lifestyles some other people do not agree with./ Just because a lot of Americans think for themselves and are not overcome with a pathetic empathy for others who they don't agree with does not make us nuts.

Chris0nllyn

I object to the shining a spotlight on children of gay couples, pointing fingers, and screaming, "Hey!! Look at this kid! See how normal he is?? That's one normal kid, right there. Look close - stare even. Let's all stare at the normal kid!" LGBT activists are guilty as sin of doing this to further their stupid agenda. They are not bitching for the sake of children or anyone else - they just want to be activists and raise hell about something.

I don't think Highlights magazine is the appropriate venue for sexuality and gender issues to be played out. Why make a big huge deal about this stuff...to preschoolers?

The issue is that anytime a child is shown with gay parents it'll be considered "shining a spotlight" on them.

Sure there are militant LGBT activists, but the vast majority of them aren't and anytime this issue is brought up it's assumed some crazy activist is what drove it.

Highlights is a kid magazine and there are children who have gay parents. The kids who "read" the magazine don't give two ####s who's in it.

Chris0nllyn

So we can be OK with gay or interracial commercials and propaganda BUT... god forbid we get to put up a sign that says "Merry Christmas" in public.....amiright?

"Propaganda"? :lol: Give me a break.

No one minds the half naked women eating a Hardies burger. Surely no one is calling that propaganda for the straight people.

I don't care if someone wishes me a merry Christmas. I wished a jew merry Christmas this morning. Guess what he didn't do.....scream and yell about how insensitive I am toward Jews.

You folks on here love to preach this "live and let live" attitude. This lase faire attitude that you don't care. "I don't care what they do behind closed doors". In reality, you do. You care very much because gay people is one of the most discussed topics on this forum (in my experience anyway).

Call me anything you like. It doesn't bother me. I have opinions. You do not have to agree with them. Millions of Americans do not like gay marriage, abortion, inter racial marriage,Obamacare or Hillary Clinton.

Does that make me wrong or just wrong because my opinions and those of millions of other Americans don't agree with you.?

You see Opinions are like asholes, everyone has one,, and not everyone appreciates yours.

So who is the nut? Me? Because I don't agree with you? Or you because you are overwhelmed with Political Correctness and agree with lifestyles some other people do not agree with./ Just because a lot of Americans think for themselves and are not overcome with a pathetic empathy for others who they don't agree with does not make us nuts.

I'm "overwhelmed with political correctness"?

I understand if you want to try and debate me on the topic, but when you say some dumb #### like that, it's clear you are simply trying to dig up some old talking points without taking into account the #### you've seen me post over the years. It's akin to calling someone a liberal if they don't agree with you politically.

It's wrong, and it's stupid.

News flash, a majority of Americans don't give a #### who sleeps with who. Myself included. The hateful thoughts some of you spew from your keyboards while remaining anonymous to the majority on here simply deserve to be called out. You're nuts for caring so much. You're nuts for acting like you give a #### about the kids of other people. You're nuts for acting like someone is shoving gay lifestyle down your throat, and you're nuts for agreeing with this dumbass website the OP, who has a clear history of reading/posting things a bit off the deep end, who peddles borderline conspiracy theories, and posted a story that asks its reader to do the same thing you're railing against the LGBT community for doing.

Raising a big stink to the magazine for showing something they didn't agree with. It just so happens you agree with that said, so no mention of the militant religious community hell bent on making gay people out to be the bad guys while ignoring the child-diddling priests and 50% divorce rate by "normal" parents.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The issue is that anytime a child is shown with gay parents it'll be considered "shining a spotlight" on them.

Showing a child with gay parents is one thing; making that child's gay parents the center of attention is something else. We should be past the Heather Has Two Mommies* stage in our LGBT odyssey.

*Which was published in...ready?...1989. Yes, that would be 27 years ago. Can we move on now, please?

Christy

b*tch rocket

EXACTLY! Bravo! :notworthy:

It really is getting old. I am as pro gay, (pro trans, pro whatever you wanna be), as they come, but I am getting extremely irritated with having pro-whatever agenda constantly force fed to me. You cannot watch a television show, read a magazine, catch a movie..... without being smattered in LGBT.