Labor Pick, Is Critic of Minimum Wage Increases - time for more exploding heads

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump’s Likely Labor Pick, Andrew Puzder, Is Critic of Minimum Wage Increases

President-elect Donald J. Trump is expected to name Andrew F. Puzder, chief executive of the company that operates the fast food outlets Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. and an outspoken critic of the worker protections enacted by the Obama administration, to be secretary of labor, people close to the transition said on Thursday.

Mr. Puzder has spent his career in the private sector and has opposed efforts to expand eligibility for overtime pay, arguing that large minimum wage increases hurt small businesses and lead to job loss among low-skilled workers.

[clip]

“I like beautiful women eating burgers in bikinis. I think it’s very American.”

Last edited:

Clem72

Mr. Puzder has spent his career in the private sector and has opposed efforts to expand eligibility for overtime pay, arguing that large minimum wage increases hurt small businesses and lead to job loss among low-skilled workers.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what the hell does Puzder know about small businesses? His first job out of school was at a huge law firm, and his first experience running a business, any business, was in his current position. He employs a lot of low skill minimum wage workers, so I am sure he has an idea how minimum wage will affect his business, but he knows squat about running a small business...he skipped all of the steps that you would learn growing a business (accounting, taxes, hiring/training employees, product design, sales, ordering.... he has entire departments for all of these).

That would be like assuming President Trump is an expert sailor, since he owns a yacht.

This_person

I don't necessarily disagree, but what the hell does Puzder know about small businesses? His first job out of school was at a huge law firm, and his first experience running a business, any business, was in his current position. He employs a lot of low skill minimum wage workers, so I am sure he has an idea how minimum wage will affect his business, but he knows squat about running a small business...he skipped all of the steps that you would learn growing a business (accounting, taxes, hiring/training employees, product design, sales, ordering.... he has entire departments for all of these).

That would be like assuming President Trump is an expert sailor, since he owns a yacht.

:shrug:

I suspect a guy who works daily with small business owners (franchise owners) knows a thing or two about small business. Seems like it would be a topic every now and again in his current job.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I suspect a guy who works daily with small business owners (franchise owners) knows a thing or two about small business. Seems like it would be a topic every now and again in his current job.

Based on what? How many franchise owners actually work in their stores other than on community photo op day?

Clem72

Works daily with franchise owners? Seriously? I would bet my eyeteeth that he has never had more than a handshake/10-minute BS conversation with any of their independent owners and zero actual business related dealings.

While not fast food related, I owned and operated TWO franchises under Harris Research, Inc. for more than 15 years and never got closer to any of the senior corporate management (other than the VP of franchise sales) than sitting in the same room during the annual convention or master franchise meetings.

This_person

Based on what? How many franchise owners actually work in their stores other than on community photo op day?

The question wasn't whether they work in the store. The question was whether they know how things like changing minimum wage laws would impact their business. I suspect the franchise owners have that, and I suspect the franchise owners interact with the franchise on some routine occasion, so if my assumptions are correct it is therefore another reasonable assumption this man has had some interaction that helps him understand the small-business world.

This_person

Works daily with franchise owners? Seriously? I would bet my eyeteeth that he has never had more than a handshake/10-minute BS conversation with any of their independent owners and zero actual business related dealings.

While not fast food related, I owned and operated TWO franchises under Harris Research, Inc. for more than 15 years and never got closer to any of the senior corporate management (other than the VP of franchise sales) than sitting in the same room during the annual convention or master franchise meetings.
Would you guess that VP communicated the concerns of your small business to his chain of command, and other small business owners?