xbox 360

CRHS89

My 12 year old has never asked for a gaming system before so I know very little about them. He has asked for xbox 360 which I realize is not the new system out, but his friend has one and that is what he has played. I certainly like the price better than the newer versions. And since this is his first time asking for one, I really don't know how much he will play it. I have a few questions. Would buying a used or refurbished one be advisable? Will we still be able to get games? I assume they are not making any new ones for the 360, so I realize that we would be limited in what we could get. I just don't want there to be no options. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

black dog

Free America
Stop in a Game Stop store and see what they tell you, I would tend to believe a Xbox one would be a better investment. I'm not sure if any of the stores that trade, sell still support the Xbox games. Plus most of those machines certainly have years of use by now and you most likely will just be someone's worn out gaming system.
JMHO

Edit.. I just talked to my Son and he tells me that Game Stop still sells 360 games and usually there are used machines in the stores for sale. At least from them you would get some kind of warranty. My son has a Xbox one but he tells me he and his friend still use there 360's more because they all have more games for the 360 to use.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The Xbox One needs updates about once a month. My son plays his 360 more than the One as well.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Stop in a Game Stop store and see what they tell you, I would tend to believe a Xbox one would be a better investment. I'm not sure if any of the stores that trade, sell still support the Xbox games. Plus most of those machines certainly have years of use by now and you most likely will just be someone's worn out gaming system.
JMHO

Edit.. I just talked to my Son and he tells me that Game Stop still sells 360 games and usually there are used machines in the stores for sale. At least from them you would get some kind of warranty. My son has a Xbox one but he tells me he and his friend still use there 360's more because they all have more games for the 360 to use.

May be a silly question but if I don't know something, I ask.. Do gaming systems wear out? I know they get played a lot but do they actually wear out? Really not trying to be a smart a**. Just curious.

black dog

Free America
May be a silly question but if I don't know something, I ask.. Do gaming systems wear out? I know they get played a lot but do they actually wear out? Really not trying to be a smart a**. Just curious.

in essence they are a microprocessor along with a DVD / Blue ray player, eventually they will wear out and start skipping and freezing up, and if the games get scratched in most cases it's trash.
When we got my son his first Xbox and hooked it up Christmas morning my son was playing it and I picked up the Xbox to move it out of the way and the game disk was destroyed. It spins really really fast and with me moving it the disk was scratched so bad it wouldn't work any longer. It was a 50 dollar mistake..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
May be a silly question but if I don't know something, I ask.. Do gaming systems wear out?

it is basically a computer system ... as Black dog said the Blue-Ray quits working eventually
... but Power Supply's fail - other electronics fail - it gets dirty and over heats

Clem72

Older model 360s were notorious for breaking (red ring of death). Might want to stick with the newer slim model.

Also, be wary of games that are primarily played online. The community of players may have dwindled or vanished, or in some cases the servers may not even be online anymore.

lovinmaryland

I would not suggest getting a refurbished one especially the older 360 that had the ring of death problem. I'd go w/ a newer slim model.