Favorite rifles...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Over 25 years and thousands of rounds and still have a blast shooting it.

IMG_0539.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hard for me to pick a favorite..I like different rifles for different kinds of shooting. I like my PSL for long range shooting..a lot. But recently fell in lust with a 24" AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel and it's now my favoriter long distance shooter.

Grendel 2.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For shorter range stuff and hunting in the brush, I like my AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39 and my Alaskan Guide lever gun in .45 Colt.

I had a Remington .22 pump action and Remington Nylon 66 .22 semiauto that I grew up shooting and liked very much. The Remmy pump was particulalrly accurate...my primary squirrel gun as a lad. Lost both in the house fire and have not replaced either yet. No .22 rifles in the closet right now.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

For shorter range stuff and hunting in the brush, I like my AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39 and my Alaskan Guide lever gun in .45 Colt.

I had a Remington .22 pump action and Remington Nylon 66 .22 semiauto that I grew up shooting and liked very much. The Remmy was particulalrly accurate...my primary squirrel gun as a lad. Lost both in the house fire and have not replaced either yet. No .22 rifles in the closet right now.

I enjoy my AR (that feeling of building it yourself is always nice), but I've got an old Sears bolt action .22. It's old enough to not have a serial number, but new enough to have a rifled barrel. Compared to my old Marlin 60, that old Sears gun is a tack driver.

Not to mention .22 being cheap to shoot

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I enjoy my AR (that feeling of building it yourself is always nice), but I've got an old Sears bolt action .22. It's old enough to not have a serial number, but new enough to have a rifled barrel. Compared to my old Marlin 60, that old Sears gun is a tack driver.

Not to mention .22 being cheap to shoot

I've seen a lot of the Remingtons like mine for sale on Gun Broker. I'll probably grab one at some point, if for no other reason than sentimental ones. The Nylon 66 semiauto..meh... I was envied as a lad by my buddies because I owned one (late 60s we're talking about..the Nylon 66 was the rifle all young lads lusted after) but it was nowhere near as accurate as the Remington pump.

My .50 Beowulf ARs are a ton of fun, I have to admit that. But the cost of the ammo is brutal.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I test fired one of my latest 7.62x54r creations today. Sweet...just simply sweet. The guys that developed that round definitely created a nice one.

black dog

Free America
I test fired one of my latest 7.62x54r creations today. Sweet...just simply sweet. The guys that developed that round definitely created a nice one.

One of the problems with 7.65 X 54R is no one but Sierra makes high quality bullets that are readily available in the States and as far as buying over the counter Match grade ammo its either P Privi or S&B and which ever one loads Match ammo for it uses Sierra bullets. Unless there is ammo out there I haven't seen. It's a round that you have to reload for, and if your rifle doesn't shoot well with about the only good bullet available, you are outta luck.
Good quality boxer brass has always been hard to find in 54R,
And if I remember that rifle is really hard on the rim when ejected. It's a great rifle, but it's not gonna win any bench rest, F class or any long range matches.
It's a awesome rifle at killing steel at a few hundred yards, but precision it will never be Sir.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One of the problems with 7.65 X 54R is no one but Sierra makes high quality bullets that are readily available in the States and as far as buying over the counter Match grade ammo its either P Privi or S&B and which ever one loads Match ammo for it uses Sierra bullets. Unless there is ammo out there I haven't seen. It's a round that you have to reload for, and if your rifle doesn't shoot well with about the only good bullet available, you are outta luck.
Good quality boxer brass has always been hard to find in 54R,
And if I remember that rifle is really hard on the rim when ejected. It's a great rifle, but it's not gonna win any bench rest, F class or any long range matches.
It's a awesome rifle at killing steel at a few hundred yards, but precision it will never be Sir.
. Lol. Im aware of all that and more. I currently own 7 rifles in that caliber and have for some time. My custom Mosin does very well with even the cheap surplus ammo and so does my PSL. Out to about 800 yards, which is what the glass on them will cover. If I was competing...I'd be doin that with my 6.5 Grendel.

That aside, Lapua, Winchester and Sellier&Bellot all make good ammo for the 54r. Lapua, in particular..but crikey!...it's $2.87 per round. The best shooting I have right now is Bulgarian surplus, non-corrosive and brass cased, reportedly loaded for use in the more accurate squad marksmen rifles like the PSL or Dragunov. Some of my heavy-barrel rifles do damage to the cases when loading and ejecting...some of the others, not so much. But I have no plans to ever load my own.

But I don't shoot competitively. Too few opportunities locally to shoot farther than even 500 yards. You?

For giggles, I need to take a pic of the rear iron sight on one of the heavy-barrel rifles. They are graduated for adjustment to 1500 meters. LMAO...

Here 'tis: IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
The only surplus ammo in 54R that was reasonably worthy for accuracy was the Russian tins of 1960s surplus featuring a 182grn lead core full copper plated steel jacketed Match bullet. For cheap fun shooting it's a gas to play with.
But most surplus ammo and generic import rifles certainly will not bang steel reliability at 300 yards much less farther.
I shoot open sights quite often myself, here's a pic of a 1,000 yd 300 Win Mag,
It's a Remington 40X in a McMillan stock with Centra Sights.
View attachment 116270

Here's a Browning BPCR rifle in 45-70 carrying Montana Vintage Arms Vernier Buffalo Sights. I shoot ( black powder cartridge rifle ) BPCR steel silhouettes with. You shoot steel animals out to 5 - 600 yards depending on range. And I shoot Long Range Gong shoots out to 1200 yds.
View attachment 116271
View attachment 116272

I understand LR shooting quite well Sir, I have been actively shooting it for well over 40 years now.
It ain't banging a 24" piece of steel at your buddy's back yard, it's a great game. Get some high quality sights on the grendel and head over to Ft Meade or Quantico and do an Across the Course Clinic { high power } or scope it and hit the F Class matches at Bridgeville, De or Quantico.
You will sell those 54R's.. :1bdz :

.edit..

My son shoots alot of 54R, he has taken to collect WW2 rifles from across the pond, he has a few round and square 91/30's one 44 and a few 98's, lately he has been looking at what Enfield to buy first.
I constantly bust his balls about that Rimmed Cartridge also.
We reload what he shoots, years ago I bought a can of pulled silver tip .311 bullets cheap. Plus no corrosive cleanup to worry about.

Last edited: