Inexpensibe printer recommendations

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I am looking for a light duty inexpensive printer. I saw one on walmart.com for $19 but there weren't many reviews on it. People either loved it or hated it. :lol:

I am looking for something $50 or less. Any suggestions? TIA!

Clem72

Need more info.

How often do you plan to use it? Need color? Need to be an all-in-one with scanning or faxing?

In general I tell people if they need color, get a Canon Inkjet Printer (cheapest cartridges, cheap replacement heads).
If you only need black and white, get e Brother Laser Printer (super cheap toner, lasts forever)

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Need more info.

How often do you plan to use it? Need color? Need to be an all-in-one with scanning or faxing?

In general I tell people if they need color, get a Canon Inkjet Printer (cheapest cartridges, cheap replacement heads).
If you only need black and white, get e Brother Laser Printer (super cheap toner, lasts forever)
It will be used to print small documents several times a week. Definitely need color print capability as well as scan/copy ability. Wireless would be nice but not necessary.

I have only owned HP printers so I am partial to them but I am open to other suggestions.

The huge pitfall for "cheap" printers (ink jet) is the recurring cost of ink. The printer may be cheap, but you can easily spend many times the price of the printer, especially if you use it often, like you are suggesting. I've actually found it was cheaper to buy a new printer with ink than to replace just the ink.

More expensive, but a far better deal in the long run is to look at an inexpensive color laser. Toner lasts a long time, more pages for a lower cost. Disadvantage is that an all-in-one laser can get pricey. I'd suggest getting a cheapo ink jet all-in-one just for the scanning, but they generally don't work unless you maintain the ink, defeating the cost savings.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I am looking for a light duty inexpensive printer. I saw one on walmart.com for $19 but there weren't many reviews on it. People either loved it or hated it. :lol:

I am looking for something $50 or less. Any suggestions? TIA!

I think I have one you can take for free.

Only reason I replaced it is I wanted a networked printer.

It's a multi Function Epsom.. Best rated the year it was manufactured. (MAYBE 3 or 4 years old).

It's not wireless but can be networked with a CAT5 to a router... and used as a fax machine with a phone cord.

Last edited:

Clem72

I would suggest staying away from HP. They are expensive, use crazy DRM to make you throw away perfectly good in cartridges (still work, but past "expired" date), and their quality has gone downhill considerably. That is, unless you are buying one of the large office machines, but those are way out of your listed budget.

I would also stay away from EPSON. They print very nice (great for photos) and have lots of features, but their quality control isn't great and I have had more Epson print heads go bad than all of the rest of my printers combined (and they ain't cheap). And I can buy better photos for next to nothing from CVS.

If you must have color, buy yourself an inexpensive Canon.

This Pixma is a safe choice (wireless, scanning, cloud print, dual sided print, etc.) :
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-MG3620...=1481748605&sr=8-5&keywords=cannon+all+in+one

I would suggest staying away from HP. They are expensive, use crazy DRM to make you throw away perfectly good in cartridges (still work, but past "expired" date), and their quality has gone downhill considerably.

Have to agree. The hardware used to be good, not so much anymore, but the software was always terrible. Bloatware to the extreme.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The huge pitfall for "cheap" printers (ink jet) is the recurring cost of ink. The printer may be cheap, but you can easily spend many times the price of the printer, especially if you use it often, like you are suggesting. I've actually found it was cheaper to buy a new printer with ink than to replace just the ink.

More expensive, but a far better deal in the long run is to look at an inexpensive color laser. Toner lasts a long time, more pages for a lower cost. Disadvantage is that an all-in-one laser can get pricey. I'd suggest getting a cheapo ink jet all-in-one just for the scanning, but they generally don't work unless you maintain the ink, defeating the cost savings.

Expensive is not doable right now. I just need something affordable, both for the printer and the ink, and will probably replace it a few months down the road. A color laser will be something I look at when I decide to replace it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I think I have one you can take for free.

Only reason I replaced it is I wanted a networked printer.

It's a multi Function Epsom.. Best rated the year it was manufactured. (MAYBE 3 or 4 years old).

It's not wireless but can be networked with a CAT5 to a router... and used as a fax machine with a phone cord.

Thanks and I will definitely take it! I have no need for fax capability but you never know I might need it once or twice. Wireless would be nice but is not required.

I will send you a PM to see how I can arrange to pick it up.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I would suggest staying away from HP. They are expensive, use crazy DRM to make you throw away perfectly good in cartridges (still work, but past "expired" date), and their quality has gone downhill considerably. That is, unless you are buying one of the large office machines, but those are way out of your listed budget.

I would also stay away from EPSON. They print very nice (great for photos) and have lots of features, but their quality control isn't great and I have had more Epson print heads go bad than all of the rest of my printers combined (and they ain't cheap). And I can buy better photos for next to nothing from CVS.

If you must have color, buy yourself an inexpensive Canon.

This Pixma is a safe choice (wireless, scanning, cloud print, dual sided print, etc.) :
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-MG3620...=1481748605&sr=8-5&keywords=cannon+all+in+one

The last printer I had was an HP All-in-one and the cost of ink was awful as was the PITA of "expired" cartridges. I believe it had 5 color and 1 black cartridge. Major $$$. And the only Epson I ever owned was a dot-matrix so THAT tells you how long ago it was. :lol:

The Pixma was one of the ones I was looking at. Thanks!

PeoplesElbow

Cheap printers usually have "sample" ink cartridges in them that only have enough to print a few dozen pages and they they slap you with a $50 ink cartridge.

I buy cheap Chinese knock off cartridges from here. http://www.supermediastore.com/

I have to agree with the Canon printer recommendation, when I replace mine it will be with a Brother though because I want the capability to print on 11x17 and they have the most inexpensive 11x17 printers.

I buy cheap Chinese knock off cartridges from here. http://www.supermediastore.com/
I tried that, but had more cartridges fail due to clogging or drying out. Spent just as much as a new cartridges.
I have to agree with the Canon printer recommendation, when I replace mine it will be with a Brother though because I want the capability to print on 11x17 and they have the most inexpensive 11x17 printers.
Gave up on inkjet, got a cheap Brother b/w laser. Replaced the toner once in the 5 years I've had it, use it pretty often for a home printer. If I need a photo printed, I go to CVS.

PeoplesElbow

I tried that, but had more cartridges fail due to clogging or drying out. Spent just as much as a new cartridges.

Gave up on inkjet, got a cheap Brother b/w laser. Replaced the toner once in the 5 years I've had it, use it pretty often for a home printer. If I need a photo printed, I go to CVS.

I've had two or three of them fail between two Epson inkjets and a canon ink jet out of maybe 30 that I have bought. Considering they are about $5 compared to $30 it didn't bother me.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'd suggest getting a cheapo ink jet all-in-one just for the scanning, but they generally don't work unless you maintain the ink, defeating the cost savings.

you can get a USB Powered Cano-Scan for less than 80 bucks

Clem72

Cheap printers usually have "sample" ink cartridges in them that only have enough to print a few dozen pages and they they slap you with a $50 ink cartridge.

Brother is all I run in my household now. But while they are a great value, you won't find an all-in-one Brother laser (BW or color) for $50 very often.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I wound up getting a Canon MG2922. It is wireless and does everything I need - color and b&w, scanner, copy.

Ordered it online at Walmart.com as it was half off and only cost $24 plus tax. Only problem was actually picking it up at the store. It was in on the 22nd but wasn't ready for pickup until the 24th. There was NO way I was going there on Christmas Eve! :lol:

Picked it up yesterday and had it set up in 10 minutes. Downloaded their free printing app to my phone so I can print from it wirelessly - very convenient!

I wound up getting a Canon MG2922. It is wireless and does everything I need - color and b&w, scanner, copy.

Ordered it online at Walmart.com as it was half off and only cost $24 plus tax. Only problem was actually picking it up at the store. It was in on the 22nd but wasn't ready for pickup until the 24th. There was NO way I was going there on Christmas Eve! :lol:

Picked it up yesterday and had it set up in 10 minutes. Downloaded their free printing app to my phone so I can print from it wirelessly - very convenient!
Heck! At $24 it's a steal and after just a few print jobs more than pays for itself!