America is held hostage by flyover states

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
America is held hostage by flyover states

They either want their country back or they’re tired of being ignored. They regularly blurt the latter as justification for electing right-wing theocrat/closed minds, austerity minded, cultural fascists to office. These are people that use more government subsidy than any segment of the country, but they hate "handouts" to anyone else. They are the largest consumers of SNAP benefits, Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

The flyover states are the main reason Congress is irreparably broken.

In the presidential election of 1968, Richard Nixon won 301 Electoral College votes, despite only receiving 43 percent of the popular vote. Third-party candidate George Wallace siphoned off 13 percent of the southern Democrats, which split from the Democratic Party altogether in 1972, via Nixon’s southern strategy. Virtually the same dynamic propelled Bill Clinton to office in 1992, albeit through different electoral politics. Clinton’s election was due less to racial/cultural issues, more economic.

Since the inception of the term silent majority almost 50 years ago, and all of its iterations since, this block of voters was hardly a majority and never silent. This group has been exceedingly adept at dominating the narrative in virtually every election cycle. They’re proficient at dog-whistle propaganda, and since the mid-1980s, they’ve created their own media echo-chamber which exponentially multiplies the sound of their own voices, with no interference from outside sources. This was accomplished mainly with coast to coast a.m. radio stations broadcasting 24/7 right-wing indoctrination, to conservative patriot and alt-right conspiracy theory websites of the last 15 years which disseminate tragic half-truths and whole fake news.

Memo to Rural America: The Urban Elites Hate You

Just who is Duane Townsend? The Hill identifies him as a “life-long resident of Detroit, Mich., and an experienced observer of the American social/political landscape.” That explains a lot. Experienced indeed.

On the other hand, I’ve seen the figure that of America’s total 3,797,000 square miles, Hillary Clinton won the majority vote in just 319 of them. Score one for the dispersed peasants fighting against the city folk whose food they cheerfully supply.

- the following were interspersed in between quotes of the article and may make better sense read together ...

The Hill, Opinion: "America Held Hostage By Flyover States"

As @BookofTamara said, "It's now week 5 [post-election] and their commitment to Not Getting It has not weakened one bit."

Takes some balls for a Social Justice Warrior to accuse someone else of being "indignant" or "enraged."

These babies are still shrieking, but they think their opponents are "enraged"?

This guy isn't going to win any points for original thinking.

This post is so devoid of anything original or factual -- it's just pure regurgitation of well-known leftist lore and emotion, specifically, hatred and racism -- that one wonders why any journal would bother publishing it.

Here's my idea: because this turgid, empty pile of hatred and racism represents the view of The Hill's editorial staff, and they want this Primal Scream out there, even if it makes no sense.

Last edited:

Clem72

I wonder how those "handout" figures compare without Social Security figured in? How do they figure out which states get the most benefits, pure dollars? Per Capita? Tax dollars out vs In (this is the one I have seen most). And taxes out vs in doesn't make sense when comparing two areas with vastly different costs of living (unequal tax bases), but equally paid out federal benefits.

And even if it still turns out that flyover states have a greater percentage of people looking for a handout, wouldn't that be a good reason for them to be interested in FIXING that issue, rather than perpetuating it?

glhs837

Power with Control
Personally, Michigan is a flyover state for me. I certainly would never willingly stop there.

Nah, I know it has some great stuff. Even Detroit has cool stuff. But it's certainly not any place to toss stones at people from.