Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Md. to no longer require special machine to aim headlights

Md. to no longer require special machine to aim headlights

Perhaps as a result of our new governor? One less state-imposed, unnecessary burden on the taxpayers:

Maryland Authorized Inspection Station Equipment Change Effective Immediately

December 14, 2016

The Maryland State Police Automotive Safety Enforcement Division has reviewed the current regulation requiring the use of headlight aiming machines to check the aim of vehicle headlights. Due to substantial differences in the readings from machine to machine, and current and evolving automotive technology the use of headlight aiming machines will cease immediately. This is no longer a required inspection tool. Until new regulations are in place, if a vehicle needs headlight alignment, inspection mechanics are to use their experience, training, and knowledge to properly align the vehicle headlights, using manufacturer's procedure.

If any of the Maryland Inspection Mechanics have questions or concerns about this they should contact their assigned Maryland State Police Vehicle Safety Inspector or Trooper.

Yeah team. Nothing some masking tape and the ol MK-1 eyeball cant handle. Want to bet the original requirement was a deal between whomever makes these machines and the statewide and national repair group organizations?
    "I aim to misbehave."

WOW...that leaves a whole lot of gray area...I can that being taken advantage of..

Quote Originally Posted by dave1959 View Post
    WOW...that leaves a whole lot of gray area...I can that being taken advantage of..
    This does not change the likelihood of that in any way. It's not like consumers were less likely to be ripped off because of the machine. Any mechanic could knock out the alignment and then charge you for it even with the machine. It's not like the average person has any damn clue about headlight alignment unless the high beams were illuminating the ditch of the branches overhead.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    This does not change the likelihood of that in any way. It's not like consumers were less likely to be ripped off because of the machine. Any mechanic could knock out the alignment and then charge you for it even with the machine. It's not like the average person has any damn clue about headlight alignment unless the high beams were illuminating the ditch of the branches overhead.
    I like my high beams mis-aligned. That way I can use them more effectively for their primary offensive purpose.

I remember when 'proper alignment" was aiming your lights at a garage door and measuring the spots. This was the procedure in the Chiltons.

But since there is no inspection in St. Mary's, headlights will continue to be misaligned. Not hard to miss when driving at night around here.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    I like my high beams mis-aligned. That way I can use them more effectively for their primary offensive purpose.
    I have actually done this with the motorcycle that has two separate headlights. Right ones a bit offset to the right for more effective deer spotting.

Wifes Jeep has auto high beams, and that's pretty cool. Jut leave them on all the time and the Jeep decides when to turn them off and on. Tried to reprogram them so that anyone with stupid aftermarket blue headlights gets it, but no joy.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I remember when 'proper alignment" was aiming your lights at a garage door and measuring the spots. This was the procedure in the Chiltons.

But since there is no inspection in St. Mary's, headlights will continue to be misaligned. Not hard to miss when driving at night around here.
    Still is. But not sure why you call out St Marys. the only inspection other places have that we do not is emissions, not safety equipment. VA has na annual safety one, but MD statewide only has the every two years emissions and the preregistration safety inspection.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Still is. But not sure why you call out St Marys. the only inspection other places have that we do not is emissions, not safety equipment. VA has na annual safety one, but MD statewide only has the every two years emissions and the preregistration safety inspection.
    Not having a vehicle inspected in over 20 years, no idea what is involved anymore or who does what. I came from NY where a yearly comprehensive inspection covered all safety and lights as well as emissions.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

This does not change the likelihood of that in any way. It's not like consumers were less likely to be ripped off because of the machine.

don't have a lot of inspection stations offer 'inspection' and Head Light Alignment now a days
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.