Md. to no longer require special machine to aim headlights

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Perhaps as a result of our new governor? One less state-imposed, unnecessary burden on the taxpayers:

Maryland Authorized Inspection Station Equipment Change Effective Immediately

December 14, 2016

The Maryland State Police Automotive Safety Enforcement Division has reviewed the current regulation requiring the use of headlight aiming machines to check the aim of vehicle headlights. Due to substantial differences in the readings from machine to machine, and current and evolving automotive technology the use of headlight aiming machines will cease immediately. This is no longer a required inspection tool. Until new regulations are in place, if a vehicle needs headlight alignment, inspection mechanics are to use their experience, training, and knowledge to properly align the vehicle headlights, using manufacturer's procedure.

If any of the Maryland Inspection Mechanics have questions or concerns about this they should contact their assigned Maryland State Police Vehicle Safety Inspector or Trooper.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah team. Nothing some masking tape and the ol MK-1 eyeball cant handle. Want to bet the original requirement was a deal between whomever makes these machines and the statewide and national repair group organizations?

glhs837

Power with Control
WOW...that leaves a whole lot of gray area...I can that being taken advantage of..

This does not change the likelihood of that in any way. It's not like consumers were less likely to be ripped off because of the machine. Any mechanic could knock out the alignment and then charge you for it even with the machine. It's not like the average person has any damn clue about headlight alignment unless the high beams were illuminating the ditch of the branches overhead.

Clem72

This does not change the likelihood of that in any way. It's not like consumers were less likely to be ripped off because of the machine. Any mechanic could knock out the alignment and then charge you for it even with the machine. It's not like the average person has any damn clue about headlight alignment unless the high beams were illuminating the ditch of the branches overhead.

I like my high beams mis-aligned. That way I can use them more effectively for their primary offensive purpose.

I remember when 'proper alignment" was aiming your lights at a garage door and measuring the spots. This was the procedure in the Chiltons.

But since there is no inspection in St. Mary's, headlights will continue to be misaligned. Not hard to miss when driving at night around here.

glhs837

Power with Control
I like my high beams mis-aligned. That way I can use them more effectively for their primary offensive purpose.

I have actually done this with the motorcycle that has two separate headlights. Right ones a bit offset to the right for more effective deer spotting.

Wifes Jeep has auto high beams, and that's pretty cool. Jut leave them on all the time and the Jeep decides when to turn them off and on. Tried to reprogram them so that anyone with stupid aftermarket blue headlights gets it, but no joy.

glhs837

Power with Control
I remember when 'proper alignment" was aiming your lights at a garage door and measuring the spots. This was the procedure in the Chiltons.

But since there is no inspection in St. Mary's, headlights will continue to be misaligned. Not hard to miss when driving at night around here.

Still is. But not sure why you call out St Marys. the only inspection other places have that we do not is emissions, not safety equipment. VA has na annual safety one, but MD statewide only has the every two years emissions and the preregistration safety inspection.

Still is. But not sure why you call out St Marys. the only inspection other places have that we do not is emissions, not safety equipment. VA has na annual safety one, but MD statewide only has the every two years emissions and the preregistration safety inspection.

Not having a vehicle inspected in over 20 years, no idea what is involved anymore or who does what. I came from NY where a yearly comprehensive inspection covered all safety and lights as well as emissions.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This does not change the likelihood of that in any way. It's not like consumers were less likely to be ripped off because of the machine.

don't have a lot of inspection stations offer 'inspection' and Head Light Alignment now a days

black dog

Free America

There's no emissions testing in St Mary's, but the entire State has safety minimums that cars, trucks, motorcycles must adhere to.
All that needs to happen is they get pulled over by LE and get written a safety repair order.
I believe you then have 30 days to correct the issue and have the ticket signed by a licensed inspection station or a StateTrooper, and other LEO's.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There's no emissions testing in St Mary's, but the entire State has safety minimums that cars, trucks, motorcycles must adhere to.
All that needs to happen is they get pulled over by LE and get written a safety repair order.
I believe you then have 30 days to correct the issue and have the ticket signed by a licensed inspection station or a StateTrooper, and other LEO's.
It is 10 days to get it fixed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
IT was almost a joke for the last 40 years that I've had to have vehicles inspected in MD...the one item that ALL were guaranteed to fail was the headlight aim. LMAO....go figure...they finally figured out it was a scam?

Peepaw95

It is rather difficult for a LEO to determine if you have bad breaks, ball joints, shocks or other parts that may cause you to lose control of your vehicle. So head lights and mufflers are about the extent of their safety repair ticket ability.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It is rather difficult for a LEO to determine if you have bad breaks, ball joints, shocks or other parts that may cause you to lose control of your vehicle. So head lights and mufflers are about the extent of their safety repair ticket ability.

Don't forget speedometer.

Clem72

Don't forget cracked windshield or excessive tinting.

Judging from the number of vehicles with illegal levels of front window Tint (I.E. Limo black, can't even see the faintest outline of the driver) they don't check this. Must be every third car.

glhs837

Power with Control
Officers really not going to bother unless they need an excuse to get their head in your window. could write equipment citations all day every day, but to most officers, that's a waste of their time, they want to be taking real criminals off the roads, not just poor people who cant afford new tires. Not saying that's right or wrong, but this is the sentiment I saw expressed at the LWO forum I used to frequent. To them, most of them anyway, traffic enforcement was really just to increase their chances of getting a real bad guy out of circulation.

black dog

Free America

Ahhh no.. brake pads have sensors that squeal when worn out, bad ball joints and U joints make loud clunking and popping noise when being driven.
Worn out shocks and struts will make a car / truck roll around like a boat in choppy water. Along with cracked windshields and missing mirrors and inoperable lights will get you a inspection ticket from many State Troopers.