Noose Hangers: Racists at Dominion Cove Point Construction site

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
They're a little vague on the details, but reading between the lines, sounds like a few of the union boys don't care for the colored folks and been hanging nooses around the facility to intimidate them. Maybe, they brought some oil/gas workers up from the deep south?

I'd be willing to wager a bet that no union guy is going to narc out one of his brothers, even for a $250,000 reward. It's too easy for an accident to occur on a construction site, or maybe your dues payment gets lost and you lose your card and can't work... I suspect noose hangers aren't the nicest kinda people. None-the-less, I keep my fingers crossed that we will soon get to publish the mugshots of the suspects.

-----

The Calvert County Sheriff's Office (CCSO) is committed to sharing as much information as we possibly can without jeopardizing the ongoing investigation into the nooses that have been located at the Dominion Cove Point facility.

This updated release includes actions taken by the CCSO, Kiewit and the North America's Building Trades Union and is supported by Dominion.

Kiewit and the Trades Union continue to work aggressively, with the full support of Dominion, to assist the CCSO in identifying the person(s) that are responsible for these acts. CCSO personnel have been told repeatedly that nothing less than the safest work environment for everyone working on the Cove Point job site is acceptable.

Kiewit has trained all of the workers on the Cove Point site on Kiewit's zero-tolerance policy for any object that has the potential to offend someone. Kiewit also asked all of the workers to fully cooperate with the CCSO investigation and to report any information they may have regarding the nooses.

Kiewit management held meetings with all workers to review the established procedures in reporting and securing areas if inappropriate objects are discovered. The CCSO and construction safety staff increased their visibility on site to provide additional surveillance.

The Building Trades Union has committed to convening meetings on the jobsite with its local union leadership and the craft workers to ask their assistance in finding the responsible individuals and to make sure everyone understands the types of actions and attitudes that are unacceptable.

In addition, the Trades Union has increased the reward to $250,000.00 for any member that provides information leading to the identification of the responsible individuals.

The CCSO asks that anyone with information that may assist the investigation contact Detective DeFelice at 410-535-2800 or defelinb@co.cal.md.us.

Sheriff Mike Evans stated: "Due to the nature of these events in our community we will investigate this as if it were a crime. We do not typically see these types of things in our County and as a community we will stop it." Although no one has come forward to file a complaint it is fair to say that this act is offensive in nature to our entire community.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Except for some of the union boys *are* black.

I'm going to guess that this is some activist hoax, designed to make the public think that the KKK is rampant in Calvert County, of all places in the world.

black dog

Free America
Unions don't like " Colored Folk ". Apparently you have never belonged to a Union.
Reading between the lines generally gets stupid sh!t started when there is no true facts to back up what you " read between the lines "
Twenty plus year Union Elevator guy here.

Midnightrider

I'm going to guess that this is some activist hoax, designed to make the public think that the KKK is rampant in Calvert County, of all places in the world.

how is this alleged activist supposed to be accessing the secure site? All of the nooses were found inside the fenced in area if i remember correctly.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm betting that with such a huge reward being offered...it won't take long to flush out the perpetrator(s).

glhs837

Power with Control
My bet is it's just kids stirring the pot and watching the adults spaz out.

From what I've read, the places they are finding them sort of rule out those meddling kids. Pretty much has to be someone with legal access or some pretty good B&E skills. I vote someone affiliated with the NIMBYs who is working there in a low level job that allows access to a lot of areas. Janitorial, deliveries, that sort of thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Unions don't like " Colored Folk ". Apparently you have never belonged to a Union.
Reading between the lines generally gets stupid sh!t started when there is no true facts to back up what you " read between the lines "
Twenty plus year Union Elevator guy here.

Are you saying that unions don't like "colored folk", or are you refuting that notion?

Chris0nllyn

I'm unsure how these guys can get the rope on the job site, though it could be on site already.

Kiewit runs a tight ship there so it's no surprise they had some sort of sensitivity training.

black dog

Free America
No, I'm certainly not. All the Unions ( skilled and unskilled, new construction along with 100's of different factory's I worked on elevators in ) I worked around for 20+ years had plenty of " Colored Folks " some even had women folk employed also.

black dog

Free America
I'm unsure how these guys can get the rope on the job site, though it could be on site already.

Kiewit runs a tight ship there so it's no surprise they had some sort of sensitivity training.

Getting rope on a construction site ?? You gotta be kidding.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess, you have never worked construction in your life.

glhs837

Power with Control
No, I'm certainly not. All the Unions ( skilled and unskilled, new construction along with 100's of different factory's I worked on elevators in ) I worked around for 20+ years had plenty of " Colored Folks " some even had women folk employed also.

See, I was almost believing you right til the end there. Nobody hires women folks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. :yay:

luvmygdaughters

Very true!! My father was a union painter for 25+ years. Had black and women on his crew.

thurley42

HY;FR

This is exactly what I thought when I saw this....the idea that this was a racist statement never even crossed my mind...maybe I'm just naïve but with all of the fake racist stuff around trump supporters lately, I just figured this was a hippie trying to bring more shade on to the entire operation.

inkah

Exactly what I was thinking. Add media hype to a prank and world gone crazy. Maybe it was friends of the young girls who climbed the tower and wouldn't come down?

Midnightrider

Exactly what I was thinking. Add media hype to a prank and world gone crazy. Maybe it was friends of the young girls who climbed the tower and wouldn't come down?

excpet that the nooses were found inside the controlled and secure area. This was the work of a stupid employee. Their motivation doesn't really matter, but it wasn't some kid or some protestor. It was someone who had acess to the actual site.

those girls that clibed the crane were over at the parking lot/staging are a couple miles away from the actual CPLNG plant.

Erk

I am going with this as my working theory. It often turns out to be the case.