Vegetarian comfort meals

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We need to incorporate more veggies into our diet. Fortunately, we like vegetables. So what are some nommy veggie comfort food meals that will keep me AND my heart happy? Tomorrow we're having vegetable beef soup, with all kinds of great root vegetables. What are some other things we can make (that don't require an oven, because we don't have one)?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Can you roast a whole butternut squash on the grill? Or steam it somehow? After that, it's great mashed! Or if you cut it up and cube it, you could roast those cubes in a pan on the grill. (you can also buy them already cut up)

Bann

PREMO Member
Baked sweet potatoes. Very nommy without much on them, since they are very sweet!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My favorite is a simple saute of diced yellow squash and zucchini, chopped vidalia onion, a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash or fresh herbs, and a little bit of butter, sauted until crisp-tender. So yummy and quick!

NextJen

Raisin cane
If you have a crockpot, I think you can 'bake' potatoes in there. Also in the crockpot - or in large pot on the stove you can do a veggie chili. I have made a veggie chili twice now, not using any particular written down recipe. I Googled some recipes just to get ideas, but mainly I use several different beans (canned) like kidney, garbanzo, black beans, pintos, and this last time I cooked dry lentils and threw them in to help thicken it up. Then it's just canned diced tomatoes, chopped onions, either packaged chili mix or your own concoction of chili powder, garlic, cumin, etc. to your taste. I also threw in some frozen corn. Of course, you could still add meat to all of this if you believe it sacrilege to have 'veggie' chili.

Bann

PREMO Member
If you have a crockpot, I think you can 'bake' potatoes in there. Also in the crockpot - or in large pot on the stove you can do a veggie chili. I have made a veggie chili twice now, not using any particular written down recipe. I Googled some recipes just to get ideas, but mainly I use several different beans (canned) like kidney, garbanzo, black beans, pintos, and this last time I cooked dry lentils and threw them in to help thicken it up. Then it's just canned diced tomatoes, chopped onions, either packaged chili mix or your own concoction of chili powder, garlic, cumin, etc. to your taste. I also threw in some frozen corn. Of course, you could still add meat to all of this if you believe it sacrilege to have 'veggie' chili.

Ah! The Lentil soup recipe she makes (without the sausage) would be awesome! :yay: We love that soup. Increase the carrots and the diced tomatoes..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ah! The Lentil soup recipe she makes (without the sausage) would be awesome! :yay: We love that soup. Increase the carrots and the diced tomatoes..

Ooh, thanks for the reminder! The lentil soup is still crazy good, even without the sausage.

I'm not necessarily talking "vegetarian" (although that's what I put in my thread title :lol:), but comfort meals where veggies and grains are the star, and meat is an afterthought.

Meatless chili does not disturb me, and veggie lasagna is usually pretty good. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for - hearty, tasty, comforty, hot meals.

lovinmaryland

I made this and separated it into batches one for the fridge and two for the freezer for my girlfriend who just had a baby. It was very good. I'm sure you could half the recipe since its just you two.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/veggie-lasagna-rollups.html

I've done this several times as a side dish but you could easily pair it w/ a salad as the entrée.
https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/vegetable-tian

Also I like to toss veggies (asparagus, zucchini, squash, eggplant, red onion, etc..) in olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Then grill them til their nicely chared. Serve warm or at room temp w/ warm pita bread and some feta cheese. yum!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also I like to toss veggies (asparagus, zucchini, squash, eggplant, red onion, etc..) in olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Then grill them til their nicely chared. Serve warm or at room temp w/ warm pita bread and some feta cheese. yum!

This one looks good - grilled veggie wraps. :yay: I can't bake because we have no oven, so the others won't work.

NextJen

Raisin cane
This one looks good - grilled veggie wraps. :yay: I can't bake because we have no oven, so the others won't work.

You probably already have one of these baskets, but, I will do the assorted veggies (green and yellow squash, red onions, fresh whole mushrooms) with a little olive oil on them on the grill in this, as lovinmaryland says, until nicely charred.

veggie basket.jpg

lovinmaryland

http://stonefire.com/products/original-mini if you can find these in the mini size theyre perfect! I also brush them w/ a little olive oil I've infused w/ garlic and red pepper flake then top w/ any leftover grilled veggies some cherry tomatoes drizzle a little more olive oil over top then sprinkle a little cheese throw on the grill or griddle for mini pizzas.

I'm really surprised you don't have an oven in the camper.

How about a fold-up camping oven that sits on top of a bbq grill? Even WallyMart has those.

Does Monello have a crab cage stowed in there somewhere? Wrap it in foil and stick a thermometer in it.

lovinmaryland

I'm really surprised you don't have an oven in the camper.

How about a fold-up camping oven that sits on top of a bbq grill? Even WallyMart has those.

Does Monello have a crab cage stowed in there somewhere? Wrap it in foil and stick a thermometer in it.

That or a toaster oven. We have one here at the office and I bake stuff in it all the time!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We have a toaster oven, but it's more appropriate to being a toaster and not an oven. Everything we've tried to "bake" in it gets ruined because it doesn't get hot enough. For little things, okay, but for real baking it's too dumb. The crockpot or grill is a much better option.

We have a toaster oven, but it's more appropriate to being a toaster and not an oven. Everything we've tried to "bake" in it gets ruined because it doesn't get hot enough. For little things, okay, but for real baking it's too dumb. The crockpot or grill is a much better option.

Maybe trade up? Like Lovin', I use my toaster oven all the time in lieu of my regular oven. I bake deserts in it, make quiche, baked chicken, casseroles.......