Spreading Salt on Dry Roads Yesterday....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Is this a new thing? Is the SHA now just randomly picking days to go out and spread salt everywhere, regardless of weather conditions or forecast?

What a crock of shiat.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Is this a new thing? Is the SHA now just randomly picking days to go out and spread salt everywhere, regardless of weather conditions or forecast?

What a crock of shiat.

it was supposed to be icy / snow flurries

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Err..what? Perhaps you can enlighten me as to the point of spreading salt on perfectly dry roads with clear skies in the forecast. Expensive operation that it is, too...

I questioned that last night too when I saw the salting. There was nothing in the forecast until Sat, but that's now changed to a rain event with temps in the 50s.

Maybe they were forecasting icy conditions for Sat but didn't want to pay weekend/overtime hours, so took a chance and put it down way early.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Err..what? Perhaps you can enlighten me as to the point of spreading salt on perfectly dry roads with clear skies in the forecast. Expensive operation that it is, too...

You have to realize that these are the same people who won't cut a holly tree down because they think it is the MD state tree, right?

terbear1225

I thought there was the potential for precipitation in last night's forecast? maybe I'm remembering that wrong though.

dave1959

Was it rock salt or liquid brine ?? Because they always put down brine a day or two ahead of a storm.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You have to realize that these are the same people who won't cut a holly tree down because they think it is the MD state tree, right?

LOL..speaking of that nonsense; the other day some of our folks cut a bunch of small pines that volunteered under a stretch of power line in Tall Timbers. For brushing some duck blinds. But get this..the owner of the property cannot legally transplant the saplings without a permit...so those same saplings are routinely mowed down by a line maintenance crew every couple of years.

tipsymcgee

One of the BIGGEST wastes of money ever. I don't blame the contractors, but paying big money PER HOUR for trucks to sit in parking lots and wait for it to flurry is ridiculous. I know the call comes from "up the road" of higher up SHA officials, but some elected official should step in at some point.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One of the BIGGEST wastes of money ever. I don't blame the contractors, but paying big money PER HOUR for trucks to sit in parking lots and wait for it to flurry is ridiculous. I know the call comes from "up the road" of higher up SHA officials, but some elected official should step in at some point.

Can you say "Christmas Bonus"?

Storm?...the rain coming this very warm (50s and 60s) weekend? That storm? LOL.
Yeah, but it will start out as freezing rain and sleet tonight while the road temps are still below freezing. That is why they put the brine out. Makes sense to me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, but it will start out as freezing rain and sleet tonight while the road temps are still below freezing. That is why they put the brine out. Makes sense to me.

I see a very slight chance of freezing temps and rains coinciding between 3 and 5 am tomorrow...a VERY slight chance..after which the temperature rapidly ramps up in to the 40s and beyond....

Chris0nllyn

I see a very slight chance of freezing temps and rains coinciding between 3 and 5 am tomorrow...a VERY slight chance..after which the temperature rapidly ramps up in to the 40s and beyond....

At least the drive to my goose field will be nice. :lol:

I was hoping the cold would stick around some more and we'd get some snow.

The brine has to go on the road when it is dry out. That is why they put it out ahead of time. They have to go on the forecast presented allowing for the time to put it out so it can set up. I pulled this from forecast.weather.gov just now:Freezing rain and sleet likely between 1am and 4am and then temps would rise above freezing. Considering it is the holiday season and a Friday night I'm sure that there is a level of caution for expected traffic in the late hours that were taken into consideration.