Liberals to Poor Third World Children: Drop Dead

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Liberals to Poor Third World Children: Drop Dead

Nature magazine has a terrific feature in its current issue about the great Swedish demographer Hans Rosling, who we have discussed here on Power Line in the past.

Late in the long piece appears this astounding sentence:

Melinda Gates says that after a drink or two, people often tell her that they think the Gates Foundation may be contributing to overpopulation and environmental collapse by saving children’s lives with interventions such as vaccines.

Read that sentence again slowly. And let it sink in.

Clem72

Melinda Gates says that after a drink or two, people often tell her that they think the Gates Foundation may be contributing to overpopulation and environmental collapse by saving children’s lives with interventions such as vaccines.

Read that sentence again slowly. And let it sink in.

What's the issue. If the region is used to families having numerous children because they are likely to die in early childhood due to disease, and resources are already critically stretched; then you fix the problem of dying children you are now left with too much population to support which in turn may mean over grazing/over hunting.

But it should balance out eventually, as people die of starvation they will (hopefully) resort to having less children, as long as sally struthers isn't there, and then the plants and animals should return.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
There has been a push since the 1980s and world starvation salvation was en vogue. Back in the feel good days of Live Aid we all wanted to save the world. Problem is this orb can only support so many people. Like a 1 gallon container, no matter how hard you try, it will only hold a gallon. Any excess will be wasted.

Lets not forget that Zimbabwe(Rhodesia) was considered the bread basket of southern Africa until president Mugabe took the farms away from the capable owners and gave them to his political cronies. The problem isn't that the land can't produce enough food but the people in charge of the land aren't qualified to run a lemon ade stand.

[FONT=&quot]The tragedy of Mugabe's approach is that it has harmed those whom a well-ordered, selective redistribution program could and should have helped. In fact, the beneficiaries of the land seizures are, with few exceptions, ruling-party officials and friends of the President's. Although Mugabe's people seem to view the possession of farms as a sign of status (the Minister of Home Affairs has five; the Minister of Information has three; Mugabe's wife, Grace, and scores of influential party members and their relatives have two each), these elites don't have the experience, the equipment, or, apparently, the desire to run them. About 130,000 formerly landless peasants helped the ruling elites to take over the farms, but now that the dirty work is done, many of them are themselves being expelled.[/FONT]

Here are some interesting quotes on that subject:
Top globalist Sir David Attenborough, who last year described humans as a ‘plague on Earth’, has now gone on record in calling for nations of the world to stop sending food aid to starving nations in order to reduce the population of the world.

There was a terrible famine, indeed, but what we were not told was there was surplus food elsewhere in the country.The problems were largely man-made, the legacy of civil war and brutal policies pursued by a ruthless Marxist government.

The programmes of forced resettlement and agricultural collectivisation were similar to those pursued by Stalin in Ukraine in the Thirties and the result was the same — death, destruction and mass hunger.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...on-UKs-overseas-aid-budget.html#ixzz4TIGI1IOU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It's a very emotional call. The scientist in me agrees completely with withholding support. The humanitarian in me disagrees.

But it should balance out eventually, as people die of starvation they will (hopefully) resort to having less children, as long as sally struthers isn't there, and then the plants and animals should return.
In theory, but the big problem with that is being 3rd world, they don't understand birth control or restraint. They will continue to procreate beyond their means.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's a very emotional call. The scientist in me agrees completely with withholding support. The humanitarian in me disagrees.

But the humane thing to do would be let them reduce their population naturally rather than help them create more starving children.

I think a lot of these "humanitarian" efforts are just ego and arrogance. "Look at me saving the planet! Saving the children! Aren't I amazing??" The author of the story above is no different - "see me being all compassionate while the liberals are trying to kill children?"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
as Monello pointed out .... it is generally NOT what or how much can be grown .... but who is in charge
50,000 Rwandans were slaughtered [by the minority in power] because they were the 'other' tribe

quit wasting money and let nature takes its course has merit ....
- the whole starving children has more to do with breeding at a faster rate then death rate
- Europe has the same problems in the middle ages - they eventually got Civilized
- for all the advances in technology it all still boils down to the gov. in charge ... enlightened rulers - food can be plentiful and people can prosper
- a dictator who takes everything for 'his' people or tribe .... starvation is the results among the have less fortunate

so unless you want to take over the whole of Africa ...

SamSpade

But the humane thing to do would be let them reduce their population naturally rather than help them create more starving children.

I think a lot of these "humanitarian" efforts are just ego and arrogance. "Look at me saving the planet! Saving the children! Aren't I amazing??" The author of the story above is no different - "see me being all compassionate while the liberals are trying to kill children?"

When we were in Ethiopia, they told us what we later learned to be true - the people were starving, because the Communist government was starving them.
The starvation ended when the Communists were booted. It's still a poor nation, but they weren't dying specifically because of terrible drought. Ethiopian civilization is older than most of the world's civilization. They've managed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When we were in Ethiopia, they told us what we later learned to be true - the people were starving, because the Communist government was starving them.
The starvation ended when the Communists were booted. It's still a poor nation, but they weren't dying specifically because of terrible drought. Ethiopian civilization is older than most of the world's civilization. They've managed.

But nobody wants to boot their Communists, they just want to send food and medical packages to the warlords for "distribution". If the UN, or Bill and Melinda Gates for that matter, wanted to help these people they certainly could. But they don't want to.

SamSpade

But nobody wants to boot their Communists, they just want to send food and medical packages to the warlords for "distribution". If the UN, or Bill and Melinda Gates for that matter, wanted to help these people they certainly could. But they don't want to.

Actually, I just read an article that states that most of the famines in the modern era occur in authoritarian states - because they don't give a rat's ass about setting aside resources for such things. So that while Ethiopians were starving in the 70's, Hallie Selassie was spending 35 million for his birthday.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, I just read an article that states that most of the famines in the modern era occur in authoritarian states - because they don't give a rat's ass about setting aside resources for such things. So that while Ethiopians were starving in the 70's, Hallie Selassie was spending 35 million for his birthday.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? That's a real question: are these states suffering famine because of their authoritarian government, or did the authoritarian government rise out of the famine?

No, really, I'm asking you because I don't know and am too lazy to run it down.

SamSpade

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? That's a real question: are these states suffering famine because of their authoritarian government, or did the authoritarian government rise out of the famine?

No, really, I'm asking you because I don't know and am too lazy to run it down.

My meager memory - because I too am too lazy to go looking it up (actually more like, kind of busy here) is that the two aren't necessarily related. Despots usually seize power rather than have it granted or ceded to them.

People don't VOTE tyrants into power usually because if they did, they still possessed the power to remove them.