Tis the season

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My good friend's little granddaughter died yesterday - she was only a couple of months old, they think it was SIDS but don't know for sure yet.

Babies, #1, and at Christmas, #2.

What is it about Christmas that makes people die? People who dread the holidays for whatever reason, this is what makes me dread them: because it seems like that's when everyone dies.

Anyway, say some prayers or beam some strength to my friend's family because this is a terribly difficult time, to say the least.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'm so very sorry to hear about your friends granddaughter. Sending prayers for comfort and strength for them to get through this difficult time.

On a personal note, both of my parents passed in December. My Dad on December 7th back in 2006, and my Mom on December 14th back in 2011. I don't necessarily associate their deaths with the Holidays. They had both suffered through some serious illnesses and for each of them, it was just their time. I do get melancholy when I think about their deaths, and of course that does come around each year at this time....but I still love the Holidays and the sense of love and good-will toward our fellow man. If anything, it makes me appreciate those around me more that are still here for me to love.

God bless and Merry Christmas!

luvmygdaughters

So sorry to hear of your friends granddaughter passing. I cant imagine what they must be going through. Thoughts and prayers for them. Its never easy losing someone you love, but especially if its a child and at this time of year.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Christmas is a season of massive increase in tension and strain and stress. That kills people.

####ing kohls is open 24 hours for the rest of the season. We're a suicidal culture.

belvak

Happy Camper
Sorry for your friend's loss. My sister died on December 23, 1980. It was a very bad Christmas. My Mom just couldn't get back into the whole Christmas thing for several years; until my son and daughter came along. That's when she got some of her spirit back. I can't imaging losing a child, or a grandchild (now that I have them), especially at Christmas. My sympathy and condolences to your friend and her family. :huggy:

My good friend's little granddaughter died yesterday - she was only a couple of months old, they think it was SIDS but don't know for sure yet.

What is it about Christmas that makes people die? People who dread the holidays for whatever reason, this is what makes me dread them: because it seems like that's when everyone dies.

Anyway, say some prayers or beam some strength to my friend's family because this is a terribly difficult time, to say the least.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My grandmother died in January (the one who wanted to live long enough to cancel out my vote for George Bush :lol:). After she informed me that she was done but intended to live until election day, I reminded her that Christmas was no good, either. She died on January 3.

lovinmaryland

My grandmother died in January (the one who wanted to live long enough to cancel out my vote for George Bush :lol:). After she informed me that she was done but intended to live until election day, I reminded her that Christmas was no good, either. She died on January 3.

Sorry to hear about your friends grandbaby, that is so terrible.

My grandmother passed away in Jan. also after a long bout of lung cancer. Everyone thinks she hung on for that one last holiday w/ the family.

Losing someone you love (whether death, divorce, etc..) is hard at any point but I'd think more so around a time of year/holiday that you love.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:bawl:

Prayers and good thoughts to your friend and their family. So sad anytime, especially now.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'm so sorry, RareBreed. :huggy:

After I posted here yesterday, I found out a co-worker's husband's very aggressive cancer has progressed to the point that they made the decision to stop treatments and have Hospice come in and help with his care. It's so sad. They have a small daughter.

I don't know her that well, she is a new-ish employee, and was hit with this soon after she started. It was so very fast. I feel like I'm re-living my own situation with my sister when I first started my job there and she was diagnosed with a stage IV cancer. She made it 6 months through to April, and I did have a last Christmas with her, thankfully. (This has been like 4 months, maybe)

I had no family except my boys here when I was dealing with my grief and I know that the support of my friends was so important to me at that time. (Hello! AEN nights, Vrai!!) My immediate supervisor at work was also very supportive, and that helped with my stress level overall - but thankfully, when I needed the leave, I actually HAD some paid time off I could use.

Often, we feel so helpless when people we know have a gravely or terminally ill family member OR lose a family member. Especially at this time of year. I'm a do-er - I want to help and do something. Yesterday, I had already given a co-worker some money to help out with meal preps they are doing, since I am going out of town on Friday and have no extra time to do this myself. Last night, I also went and donated to their online giving fund. It was a small thing I could do - and maybe it will help them out with the incredible and overwhelming costs they've incurred.

I think reaching out to the people in need - in whatever way is comfortable to you - is a great way to help feel like you're making a difference.

awpitt

Main Streeter

I'm very sorry to hear this, Vrai. So sad. My 14mo old grandson died leading into Thanksgiving in 2003. It was early in the month so I never really associated his passing with Thanksgiving but I guess Thanksgiving doesn't have the same "status" as Christmas. It's tough to lose a little one no matter when it happens. They're supposed to survive us, not the other way around.

My brother-in-laws brother passed away December 22, 27 years ago, my Grandfather passed the evening of Christmas, 25 December 1985, my mother passed on 24 December in 2003, my brother passed December 21 last year, and I just got word this morning that my Aunt passed away early this morning. Needless to say, December is a fairly rough time for me. but I try to focus not so much on their deaths but more on the good times we had. It helps.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Sad at any time of the year - the average daily death rate worldwide is about 152,000 or so every day of the week. A pretty static number. It just seems more pronounced to others this time of the year.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My Uncle Eddie passed away just before Thanksgiving and my father-in-law's funeral was last week.
They both had a good run at life (Eddie was almost 80 and George almost 85).

Babies passing on hit hard, though, even when you don't know the family.
Getting cut down before you really had any chance at life...