Worst restaurants?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where are the top three worst restaurants you've ever been to?

Mine are:

Courtney's in Ridge. Filthy freaking dirty, with this horrible old man acting as "server". The "salad bar" was a festering buffet of things that shouldn't have been bubbling and the bathrooms were simply scary. The beer was cold, and the fried seafood was delicious, but I figured I would pay dearly later for eating it and I was right.

Granny's Restaurant in Cody, WY. We didn't even eat. This kid with a horribly unfortunate skin condition seated us. I wandered over to look at the salad bar, and it was a wreck - dirty, scabby, bubbling mayo based offerings, clearly rotting vegetables. There were dirty tables all over - like, piling over with dirty plates and crap - and the wait people were just standing around chatting with each other. We got seated and as my misgivings were reaching their height, a server came over to our table. He had the same unfortunate skin condition as the host, but he threw in greasy hair and body odor FTW. That's it, we're outta here.

#3, I'll have to think about. We've been to a few places that were substandard for various reasons, but the two above were ICK standouts. Maybe the Irma in Cody, with its repurposed buffet food and fly infestation problem, not to mention the surly inattentive waitstaff. That was pretty bad.

Kinnakeet

Was at a place in Altoona Pa years ago just opened so we took my Grandmother who has never ate anywhere except in her kitchen. I got chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans when it came I was in shock as it looked just like a meal from a frozen dinner and the first bite confirmed it un freaking real Granny had soup I guess she liked it as she never said a word,My Mom on the other hand loves boiled hot dogs imagine the suprise she got when her so called boiled hot dog came and it looked like one from the hot dog warmer at white plains golf it was all shrivaled up as Im laughing my ass off my Mom begins to give the waiter a piece of her mind so then I deceided to put my 2 cents in and the meal was free. a year later we drove past the place and much to my surprise it was closed down..lol.
That was the worst place ever for me.:lmao:

Spook

Cocoa's

Was at a place in Altoona Pa years ago just opened so we took my Grandmother who has never ate anywhere except in her kitchen. I got chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans when it came I was in shock as it looked just like a meal from a frozen dinner and the first bite confirmed it un freaking real Granny had soup I guess she liked it as she never said a word,My Mom on the other hand loves boiled hot dogs imagine the suprise she got when her so called boiled hot dog came and it looked like one from the hot dog warmer at white plains golf it was all shrivaled up as Im laughing my ass off my Mom begins to give the waiter a piece of her mind so then I deceided to put my 2 cents in and the meal was free. a year later we drove past the place and much to my surprise it was closed down..lol.
That was the worst place ever for me.:lmao:

Nasty food. Nasty staff.

Grumpy

Ray's Pier, Benedict, MD. Far and away the worst place I've eaten. Steamed crabs, fine; but don't order any thing else.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The worst restaurant food I ever had was from various restaurants in the southern UK. It seemed there was nothing they couldn't make bland, on a good day, or downright inedible the rest of the time. We ended up eating Chinese a lot...or Italian.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I can't think of any of the bad restaurants I have been to that are still in business. For good reason obviously. :lol:

Jake and Al's, Lenny's, The Captain's Table, DB McMillan's. They were good in the day but towards the end were horrible.

Forkian

I have no idea why anyone would choose to eat at Boomerangs in Solomons, when there are so many better choices just over the bridge in St. Mary's. I have never had anything there that I would say was a decent tasting meal.

China King at MD 2/4 split in Sunderland has got to be the dirtiest restaurant that I have ever seen. Can't believe the health dept hasn't shut that place down yet.

Last edited:

Clem72

Will probably get blasted for this, but in my personal opinion I have not had a good experience at the front porch. I have gone maybe 6 or 7 times in the last 3 years or so and there is always something amiss. Extraordinary long wait between server visits to the table (20-30 minutes is a long time to wait for a drink refill or to ask for a check). A cheese plate that was good on our first couple of visits that evolved to something food lion would be embarrassed to sell. Medium steaks delivered blood rare, and medium hamburgers burnt to a crisp.

Clem72

China King at MD 2/4 split in Sunderland has got to be the dirtiest restaurant that I have ever seen. Can't believe the health dept hasn't shut that place down yet.

Used to frequent a Mr. Wu's in south London that was incredibly dirty. But it was cheap, all you could eat, and tasted decent (all more important to me than the health implications, at the time). At least a dozen of my coworkers/friends got sick from eating there over the months, but I never did. Course my secret was to bring in my own bottled water.

luvmygdaughters

I have no idea why anyone would choose to eat at Boomerangs in Solomons, when there are so many better choices just over the bridge in St. Mary's. I have never had anything there that I would say was a decent tasting meal.

Really?? We eat over there a few times a year. Always get the ribs, which are delicious, fall off the bone tender. Havent really tried anything else off their menu.

luvmygdaughters

I guess we've been fortunate. Have had a few, not so great meals, but nothing that would put it on my never go to again list. Wait, I take that back. It been a few years ago, my daughter and I went to Di Giovanni's in Solomons for dinner. Now let preface by saying a group of us went there the previous year for a friends birthday and it was absolutely divine!!!! When my daughter and I went, approximately 6 months later, it was lousy!!!! I could've opened a can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli and had a better meal. I was so freaking disappointed!!!!

BernieP

Resident PIA
I love their ribs!

I prefer the ribs at mission BBQ.
Never been impressed with Boomerangs either, the sides lacked flavor, freshness.
Nothing worse than a side of fries that are limp, dry and almost cold to take away from a meal.
Add in slaw that's limp and watered down... Ribs were fall off the bone, but somewhat dry as well.

somdwatch

Where are the top three worst restaurants you've ever been to?

Mine are:

Courtney's in Ridge. Filthy freaking dirty, with this horrible old man acting as "server". The "salad bar" was a festering buffet of things that shouldn't have been bubbling and the bathrooms were simply scary. The beer was cold, and the fried seafood was delicious, but I figured I would pay dearly later for eating it and I was right.

Granny's Restaurant in Cody, WY. We didn't even eat. This kid with a horribly unfortunate skin condition seated us. I wandered over to look at the salad bar, and it was a wreck - dirty, scabby, bubbling mayo based offerings, clearly rotting vegetables. There were dirty tables all over - like, piling over with dirty plates and crap - and the wait people were just standing around chatting with each other. We got seated and as my misgivings were reaching their height, a server came over to our table. He had the same unfortunate skin condition as the host, but he threw in greasy hair and body odor FTW. That's it, we're outta here.

#3, I'll have to think about. We've been to a few places that were substandard for various reasons, but the two above were ICK standouts. Maybe the Irma in Cody, with its repurposed buffet food and fly infestation problem, not to mention the surly inattentive waitstaff. That was pretty bad.

Courtney's isn't that bad. Obviously, you weren't warned before going. A very unique place to eat. Ate there many times without ever paying for it afterwards. Just be aware Tom is a man of very few words but respects all his customers. I'll continue to eat there. VRAI, did you know, he's out catching the food at 0500? He's a waterman, not a server!

Goldenhawk

Not open any longer, but mid 1990s there was very briefly a place in St Mary's Square (in the once-upon-a-time Roy Rogers building, now a custom embroidery shop) called something like Cuz's Country Kitchen. Apparently opened by the former manager of the former Golden Corral that closed in the early 90s. I walked in and was greeted by calls of "Hello cuz!" The "soul food" available was straight out of yo mamma's kitchen, basically fried chicken, green beans, kale, hush puppies, etc. The food I got was uniformly over-peppered, greasy, and overcooked. Worst, it was all served on super-thin styrofoam plates with cheap plastic forks and knives.

Low-budget operation from start-to-finish, and clearly intended to cater to a different crowd than I inhabit. Naturally I never went back. It was gone in just a few months, and I was NOT surprised.

My least favorite still-open place is Outback in Wildewood - I explicitly swore it off 10 years ago and never went back. Lousy service, mediocre food, and ridiculous wait times. The menu just isn't worth trying it again, even after all these years.

My other least favorite still-open place is Ruby Tuesday in First Colony. Got sick after the last time I went, as did two others in my party, and while there we were discussing the sticky floors and filthy bathrooms and odd smells. Coincidentally, that same weekend a former employee posted some stuff on Facebook detailing some nasty stuff in the kitchen, and it generated hundreds of similar stories. Too many other decent places to ever go there again.

ltown81

Boomerangs has the best ribs in the area IMO. Have not really had a bad experience there. Since the remodel it is pretty nice inside.

ltown81

My list includes-

Cheeseburger In Paradise- Everything in the restaurant is sticky and dirty every time I go in. Food is so-so.
Anything in the old Perkins in Leonardtown
Longhorn is pretty nasty

BernieP

Resident PIA
My list includes-

Cheeseburger In Paradise- Everything in the restaurant is sticky and dirty every time I go in. Food is so-so.
Anything in the old Perkins in Leonardtown
Longhorn is pretty nasty

those old Perkins buildings must be cursed

Don't take the Longhorn here as a representation of the chain.
Just our good fortune to have the manager of the year last place finisher here.