Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Student Loans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Who said anything about penalizing those who did it correctly?

If you don't hold everyone accountable then those that get a pass benefit while those that paid their loans are disadvantaged.

I had a neighbor that went into foreclosure. We moved in around the same time. Fast forward a few decades. My mortgage is retired. Neighbor owes twice what he paid for the home originally. He was using the home as a piggy bank and kept taking out new financing and pocketing the cash. 2007 rolls around and he gives the keys back to the bank. Dude walks away with a 6 figure loan forgiven. The bank isn't getting that money back.
    Even if Donald Trump wins all the toss up states, he would still lose - R. Madcow 11/16

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    Be kind to the unhappy progressives and Democrats in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post

If you don't hold everyone accountable then those that get a pass benefit while those that paid their loans are disadvantaged.

I had a neighbor that went into foreclosure. We moved in around the same time. Fast forward a few decades. My mortgage is retired. Neighbor owes twice what he paid for the home originally. He was using the home as a piggy bank and kept taking out new financing and pocketing the cash. 2007 rolls around and he gives the keys back to the bank. Dude walks away with a 6 figure loan forgiven. The bank isn't getting that money back.
    So? How did this disadvantage you, in any way?

In the mean time, he's put how much money into the economy? And you've put how much into it?

How did this harm you, in any way? Hell, guys like him are where the money comes from for people like your kid to take advantage of a good gummint program. It sure doesn't come from tight wads and spend thrifts.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Blog Entries
    And that's awesome and great for him and we've had this discussion; if everyone were that wise, took good advice, followed that path, it would not, could not work. You don't make policy for the winners, for the smartest. You make it for the masses. The winners, the smart folks do well off the largess and waste of the masses.
    But it's a viable option for many. Ask around of those who are buried under a mountain of student load debt if they could do it over again would choose this path.
    Even if Donald Trump wins all the toss up states, he would still lose - R. Madcow 11/16

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    Be kind to the unhappy progressives and Democrats in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Anytime the government throws easy money at something, the prices go up.
    Think easy mortgages...housing prices skyrocketed
    Think low interest rates....stock market bubble
    Think easy student loans....tuition goes up.....

Oh, I know why colleges jacked up the cost. I suppose I should have phrased it better. "Where in the costs of a college education can fat be trimmed?".
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    But it's a viable option for many. Ask around of those who are buried under a mountain of student load debt if they could do it over again would choose this path.
    Then, lets make a deal; let those kids have a choice, a do-over. In exchange for writing off their debt and having a worthless degree, they get to go do Nat Guard or something of the kind.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Oh, I know why colleges jacked up the cost. I suppose I should have phrased it better. "Where in the costs of a college education can fat be trimmed?".
    Everywhere.

And nowhere.

First of all, 'trimming a little fat' is meaningless in the grand scheme, agreed? Any trimming large enough to make a difference would necessarily then harm those living off the fat and then what to do with THEM?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Everywhere.

And nowhere.

First of all, 'trimming a little fat' is meaningless in the grand scheme, agreed? Any trimming large enough to make a difference would necessarily then harm those living off the fat and then what to do with THEM?

No, not everywhere. Look at educator salaries vs inflation. Then look at tuition costs vs inflation. So, not everywhere. And what do you do with the army of laid off meaningless hanger-ons that infest schools? Simple, same thing you did with buggy whip salesmen. Let them find something else to do. I don't know, scrape poo off of the statues, edge the walkways, carry pollen from plant to plant. anything, which would be infinitely more productive to society than contributing to the bloat that makes an education so much more expensive than it needs to be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/op...much.html?_r=0
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Let them find something else to do. I don't know, scrape poo off of the statues, edge the walkways, carry pollen from plant to plant. anything, ....
    Take the illegal's jobs, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Take the illegal's jobs, eh?

And a gold star for Grumpy, good one. :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

So? How did this disadvantage you, in any way?

In the mean time, he's put how much money into the economy? And you've put how much into it?

How did this harm you, in any way? Hell, guys like him are where the money comes from for people like your kid to take advantage of a good gummint program. It sure doesn't come from tight wads and spend thrifts.
    Well, it probably didn't help his property values.

Members who have read this thread: 89