Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Student Loans

Student Loans

Over the Christmas weekend, with my children's guests, there was a lot of discussion about students loans.
    The need for them.
    The burden they are.
    How there is a need for forgiveness in certain circumstances, etc.

Yall's thoughts and comments......
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

End them.

too many college graduated morons in the country now.

they don't need an art history, women studies, environmental studies or French literature degree at work at McDonald's.

Especially since rarely are they even qualified for fast food work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Over the Christmas weekend, with my children's guests, there was a lot of discussion about students loans.
    The need for them.
    The burden they are.

"Loans" aren't the problem. The problem is the expectation of parents and their spoiled rotten, expect everything handed to them children.

Loan programs are absolutely needed. To say otherwise is just stupid.

The loan is not the burden. Dumb decisions are. There is no reason to spend $30-40,000 (plus room and board) on the first two years. The smart kids with financially smart parents spend the first two years at a community college. They spend on a semester what the dumb kids and their financially stupid parents spend on one class. The stupid parents spent the first 18 years of the child's existence carting them all over creation playing sports...but they don't save a plug nickel for the kid's education. No...the loan programs aren't the problem...the mentality of the parents and the mentality they impart on their kids is the problem.

Screw forgiveness. They signed the papers...pay the freaking bill. Modify the loan, stretch out the payment cycle. Forgiveness would only occur under extreme circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo View Post
    "Loans" aren't the problem. The problem is the expectation of parents and their spoiled rotten, expect everything handed to them children.

The loan is not the burden. Dumb decisions are. There is no reason to spend $30-40,000 (plus room and board) on the first two years. The smart kids with financially smart parents spend the first two years at a community college. They spend on a semester what the dumb kids and their financially stupid parents spend on one class. The stupid parents spent the first 18 years of the child's existence carting them all over creation playing sports...but they don't save a plug nickel for the kid's education. No...the loan programs aren't the problem...the mentality of the parents and the mentality they impart on their kids is the problem.

Screw forgiveness. They signed the papers...pay the freaking bill. Modify the loan, stretch out the payment cycle. Forgiveness would only occur under extreme circumstances.
    A rare sighting of a TJ post not on attack. Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    A rare sighting of a TJ post not on attack. Good points.

Scary! Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjo View Post

I have to agree with ALL of this.

The problem is 2 fold. First is that schools are allowed to charge outrageous sums for education with little to no oversight. I believe that any institution that accepts federal funds for education should be subject to auditing to determine if tuitions are inappropriate. Second.... parents need to educate their snowflakes about job field selection. Are you really going to leverage a $100K loan for an Art Major or Women's Science degree?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

Y'all are correct that a degree in the humanities (or in any field) is not necessary for most trades or services, but unfortunately it is often required now simply because so many already have one. As a prime example, most of the hospitals in the area are moving towards requiring their nursing staff to have a BA or higher. Doesn't matter that you only need an associates (and to pass the test) to be an RN in Maryland. And of course Maryland is moving to have Nurse Practitioners get a PHD. What the hell; Doctor Nurse (or is it Nurse Doctor).

But in my opinion you can't un-ring this bell. Damage is done, and an undergrad degree is the new high school diploma. So if we are going to continue to treat undergrad education as almost a mandatory 13-16th grade, then might as well offer it the same way we do k-12 (at a state school anyways). If you choose to go above and beyond and make it into an Ivy League, then you can pay for that yourself (just like private school costs more than public).

It will suck for it to come out of my taxes, but it also sucks to saddle young people with a basically non-optional debt.

Also, I am not opposed to tying in a mandatory couple of years of military (17th/18th grade if you will). Plus this would put the youngest military age in line with drinking/other privileges (21).

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    But in my opinion you can't un-ring this bell. Damage is done, and an undergrad degree is the new high school diploma. So if we are going to continue to treat undergrad education as almost a mandatory 13-16th grade, then might as well offer it the same way we do k-12 (at a state school anyways). If you choose to go above and beyond and make it into an Ivy League, then you can pay for that yourself (just like private school costs more than public).

It will suck for it to come out of my taxes, but it also sucks to saddle young people with a basically non-optional debt.

Also, I am not opposed to tying in a mandatory couple of years of military (17th/18th grade if you will). Plus this would put the youngest military age in line with drinking/other privileges (21).
    to both of the above.

And I'd like to add that the government and schools are all trying really, really hard to push everyone into an engineer degree... and I fully expect, much like they did back in the 80s/90s pushing folks into computer programming degrees, that those currently making bank as engineers and those about to become engineers will eventually face the same saturation that us programmers have hit where you will no longer be paid fairly for the time, effort and expense you've put into your field because engineers will eventually be a "dime a dozen".
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    The need for them.
    The burden they are.

Im still paying on mine from 2003, my parents gave me zero help, its a burden, especially if you make over 75k you cant claim a dollar on your income taxes, which is bogus.....

Im not in a public position to have the forgiveness... Sure wish I did..
    2015-10-20: Email bounced...

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Y'all are correct that a degree in the humanities (or in any field) is not necessary for most trades or services, but unfortunately it is often required now simply because so many already have one. As a prime example, most of the hospitals in the area are moving towards requiring their nursing staff to have a BA or higher. Doesn't matter that you only need an associates (and to pass the test) to be an RN in Maryland. And of course Maryland is moving to have Nurse Practitioners get a PHD. What the hell; Doctor Nurse (or is it Nurse Doctor).

Thats interesting, Didnt hear about the CRNP, exactly agree with your point... WTF is the point then... ugggh
    2015-10-20: Email bounced...

Members who have read this thread: 89