The OA

This_person

Did anyone watch this? My wife and I binged it over the course of a couple of days, and I HATED how it ended. Combine the swiss-cheese plot (very full of holes) and the Hitchcockian ending, and I feel like I've wasted several hours of my life.

glhs837

Power with Control
Daughter got the wife and I to watch. About the ending, keep in mind this is a series, and so there is usually a cliffhanger of some kind. I'll give season two a shot when it comes out. And I expect that even if it doesn't pan out, you will see a lot of these actors again. Although the FBI counselor guy who was the main guy in "The Night Of" drives me bats$%t. MAKE A DAMN DECLARATIVE SENTENCE, MAN!!!!!!!!

But I'll be ready to bail, I loved Sleepy Hollow, but once they killed off Abbey, I left and have not looked back.

Clem72

Did they say there would be a season 2? I know Netflix likes to order more than one season at a time, but not always.

I didn't know what the show was about going into it. I was generally okay with the pacing and plot, and even the interpretive dance magic didn't ruin it for me. But that ending was crap. Either we are to believe she was a cult leader and fed everyone a line of BS for the entire story, or all of their lives (including the doctor and the sheriff's wife) were pre-determined just to provide a momentary distraction allowing a school shooting to be cut short. Ham fisted at best.

glhs837

Power with Control
Did they say there would be a season 2? I know Netflix likes to order more than one season at a time, but not always.

I didn't know what the show was about going into it. I was generally okay with the pacing and plot, and even the interpretive dance magic didn't ruin it for me. But that ending was crap. Either we are to believe she was a cult leader and fed everyone a line of BS for the entire story, or all of their lives (including the doctor and the sheriff's wife) were pre-determined just to provide a momentary distraction allowing a school shooting to be cut short. Ham fisted at best.

See, I think there was something happening at the end that the shooting cut short. And I would expect that Season 2 will answer what that was. And I think the book/cult/made up story thing was meant as a way to separate them so that the coming back together would have more meaning. And nobody was sure about Stranger things having a second season until after it was over so there's that. Which, BTW, is how I've described this, as a sort of Stranger Things meets the Breakfast Club.

This_person

See, I think there was something happening at the end that the shooting cut short. And I would expect that Season 2 will answer what that was. And I think the book/cult/made up story thing was meant as a way to separate them so that the coming back together would have more meaning. And nobody was sure about Stranger things having a second season until after it was over so there's that. Which, BTW, is how I've described this, as a sort of Stranger Things meets the Breakfast Club.

I don't know. I didn't let the dance thing bother me - they had to have something, y'know? But, how did she give herself the scars in those locations? If she wasn't abducted, why the malnutrition and such? If she was some cult-like leader, what did she gain from those people? For what was she arrested that she was wearing the ankle bracelet thing, and what happened to that in the short order it took for the teacher to get fired? What was the whole point of Rachel? Why did they need to leave their front doors open? Why did they have to meet at midnight, and then suddenly they could meet in the afternoon? How did the $2000 check turn into a $50,000 check?

Is the invisible river just life, and she had to die to get into it? Or, is she still alive?

Too, too, too many holes.

glhs837

Power with Control
A) Scars, no idea how they all could do that to their backs, unless one of the others was directing them? Yeah, that one baffled us also.
B) I believe she was abducted, the books were her just pulling in stuff by the names she already had. We have no evidence that she was no abducted.
C) Bracelet was in leiu of being institutionalized after some action. Was it the scene where she had the knife when the parents found them in the house?
D) I don't think it disappeared so much as she just took off with it, maybe she is what drew the cops to the school?
E) Doors, no idea.
F) The $2000 was money she had to authorize the lawyer to pay off the rehab clinic he died in, I think. That was the last thing left to settle the estate , after which she would receive the balance of the life insurance policy, that was the 50K, what was left of his insurance policy after the estate was settled.

I agree, it's pretty muddy, some of it, but I still enjoyed it.

This_person

A) Scars, no idea how they all could do that to their backs, unless one of the others was directing them? Yeah, that one baffled us also.
B) I believe she was abducted, the books were her just pulling in stuff by the names she already had. We have no evidence that she was no abducted.
C) Bracelet was in leiu of being institutionalized after some action. Was it the scene where she had the knife when the parents found them in the house?
D) I don't think it disappeared so much as she just took off with it, maybe she is what drew the cops to the school?
E) Doors, no idea.
F) The $2000 was money she had to authorize the lawyer to pay off the rehab clinic he died in, I think. That was the last thing left to settle the estate , after which she would receive the balance of the life insurance policy, that was the 50K, what was left of his insurance policy after the estate was settled.

I agree, it's pretty muddy, some of it, but I still enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it, too. I just HATE that I enjoyed it :lol: