Echo

PsyOps

Pixelated
I got one for Christmas. Pretty neat little gadget. But now folks are feeding all this stuff about how it's constantly recording what's being said in the room and streaming it to Amazon (or who knows where) even when you don't activate it. I'm reading an article about a murder case where the suspect had an echo in which potential information recorded by the echo could become evidence. The echo is constantly 'listening' for the key word "Alexa".

So the question is... since the Echo is constantly 'listening', does that audio go no further than the device, or is it constantly streaming it to Amazon or other places? Not knowing enough about the thing, I'm inclined to unplug it until I decide to use it, or know more about it.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
Holy crap, I got one in my bedroom.

Does this mean the N[1]A knows what I sound like when I'm white-eyed and shuddering?

[1] S

Remember all of those mysterious buildings and barges of data servers everyone was questioning a year or so back? It's probably safe to say your household conversations will be housed at one of those locations. Start paying attention to how your Amazon account interacts with you... if you start talking about 3 foot high shelving and the next time you log on to your media... will your suddenly start to see shelving ads? Hmmmm? Will you really be surprised if you do? Hmmmm?

If it makes you feel any better... The WashPo has a very detailed article about how useful and secure the Echo is... just look past the part where Benzo owns the WashPo and you'll rest easy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't really understand the purpose of Echo anyway. Here is what Lifehacker says are the seven best things you can do with Echo:
http://lifehacker.com/the-seven-best-things-you-can-do-with-an-amazon-echo-1766989219

I have a Kindle Fire that is never far from my hands that does most of that already with very minimal effort. AND I can read books on it. AND I can surf the internet. AND I can play games.

Help me understand what's so cool about Echo? Or Alexa, for that matter.

PeoplesElbow

With what I know about electronic communication there is no way in hell I would own on of these. I keep tape over my laptops camera and store my cell phone in a drawer at night too.

PsyOps

Pixelated
With what I know about electronic communication there is no way in hell I would own on of these. I keep tape over my laptops camera and store my cell phone in a drawer at night too.

I do the same thing. I suppose if I'm worried about Echo, I should be worried about my cell phone knowing someone who hack into it and enable just about anything on it.

PeoplesElbow

Paranoid much........

Yes, you would not believe how easily those devices can be compromised. You can never truely guard against a real professional that wants in, but the majority of those looking to get in are only looking for easy targets.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Paranoid much........

Smile! Hackers Can Silently Access Your Webcam Right Through The Browser

You know those people who put tape over their laptop’s webcam to keep digital peeping toms at bay? They’re not crazy.

A new proof of concept is making the rounds today that demonstrates how a hacker can snap pics off your webcam, right through the browser, with no consent required.

Well, technically, you are giving consent. You just wouldn’t know it.

And this should wake everyone up who has kids:

Webcam hackers can spy on you in secret

Could predators be spying on you and your kids through your computer's webcam? Authorities say criminals are now able to hack in and watch your every move -- without you ever knowing it.

We all do it: We use our computer, then we get distracted with something and just walk away. You forget the computer is still on. and the criminals are counting on it. Now they can access your webcam remotely, watching your most intimate moments from the kitchen to the privacy of your own bedroom. The worst part is, you'd never even know.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Department of Homeland Security theme song;

[video=youtube;b1B_pZC8aWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1B_pZC8aWU[/video]

The ability to watch cams has also been shown on smartphones. CBS did a segment on it a while back.