Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Deck

New Deck

Going to replace my deck this coming spring. Can't decide on Trex or real wood, either way I don't want fasteners showing so will use a jig that allows you to put in fasteners in the sides if I'm using wood. Any suggestions?
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMYXC7TmhDw

I have one of these,used it for the 8X8 deck I built this last summer using 8 foot composite boards. In that length they do not have the groove for the clips. Was a joy to use, looks great. Wish I had the new cordless drill/impact driver combo I just got for Xmas, with those it would be even faster. .
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Going to replace my deck this coming spring. Can't decide on Trex or real wood, either way I don't want fasteners showing so will use a jig that allows you to put in fasteners in the sides if I'm using wood. Any suggestions?
    I used real wood...after 10 years, lots of painting and maintenance, should of gone Trex or equivalent....
    Wood looks good, not worth it long term...
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Not a big fan of Trex and other man-made decking. Seen too many decks and furniture full of checks and cracks and fade from the direct sun. If it needs to be fixed or replaced, cheaper and easier to work with wood.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMYXC7TmhDw

I have one of these,used it for the 8X8 deck I built this last summer using 8 foot composite boards. In that length they do not have the groove for the clips. Was a joy to use, looks great. Wish I had the new cordless drill/impact driver combo I just got for Xmas, with those it would be even faster. .
    That was the one I was planning on using. I would want 12 ft boards, I have a 12x16 deck.

Blog Entries
    If we're voting, put me down for Trex. Real wood is a raging PITA to take care of.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Just remember that trex and the like get super hot in the sun. So if you and the family like to be barefoot on the deck........

One of the nicest decks I have ever seen was at Kenny Sullivans ( Sullivans Auto Body ) old home in the Twin Shield's GC neighborhood in Calvert. It was a multi level raised deck with poured concrete ( pea gravel) finish and aluminum? railings.
    Pretty much maintenance free and looked very nice.
    Cool in the summer and nice on the bear toes.
    A few I beams, some concrete decking with angle iron around the edges. Simple and it looked great.

EDIT..
    I forgot the most important fact, his decks & Driveway had a pea gravel finish. it was very attractive and almost maintenance free.
    Last edited by black dog; 01-01-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Blog Entries
    Trex. I could not justify the extra cost of tree on my last house so I didn't do it. The third time I was out pressure washing off the flakes and spraying deck stain I swore never again wood.

They call me ... Sarcasmo kom526's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We have a composite deck with hidden fasteners and we love it. I will say that the gaps between the boards are pretty tight and will accumulate dirt and debris in them. If you have pine trees near the deck it will be a battle. The dirt, grime and debris builds up and ants like to colonize the now dirty grooves. So, if you go the hidden fastener route, be diligent about keeping the board gaps clear of debris.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Somewhere, a teacher is crying with their red marker after reading your dribble.

Members who have read this thread: 23