New Deck

PeoplesElbow

Going to replace my deck this coming spring. Can't decide on Trex or real wood, either way I don't want fasteners showing so will use a jig that allows you to put in fasteners in the sides if I'm using wood. Any suggestions?

glhs837

Power with Control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMYXC7TmhDw

I have one of these,used it for the 8X8 deck I built this last summer using 8 foot composite boards. In that length they do not have the groove for the clips. Was a joy to use, looks great. Wish I had the new cordless drill/impact driver combo I just got for Xmas, with those it would be even faster. .

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Going to replace my deck this coming spring. Can't decide on Trex or real wood, either way I don't want fasteners showing so will use a jig that allows you to put in fasteners in the sides if I'm using wood. Any suggestions?

I used real wood...after 10 years, lots of painting and maintenance, should of gone Trex or equivalent....
Wood looks good, not worth it long term...

Not a big fan of Trex and other man-made decking. Seen too many decks and furniture full of checks and cracks and fade from the direct sun. If it needs to be fixed or replaced, cheaper and easier to work with wood.

PeoplesElbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMYXC7TmhDw

I have one of these,used it for the 8X8 deck I built this last summer using 8 foot composite boards. In that length they do not have the groove for the clips. Was a joy to use, looks great. Wish I had the new cordless drill/impact driver combo I just got for Xmas, with those it would be even faster. .

That was the one I was planning on using. I would want 12 ft boards, I have a 12x16 deck.

General Lee

Just remember that trex and the like get super hot in the sun. So if you and the family like to be barefoot on the deck........

black dog

Free America
One of the nicest decks I have ever seen was at Kenny Sullivans ( Sullivans Auto Body ) old home in the Twin Shield's GC neighborhood in Calvert. It was a multi level raised deck with poured concrete ( pea gravel) finish and aluminum? railings.
Pretty much maintenance free and looked very nice.
Cool in the summer and nice on the bear toes.
A few I beams, some concrete decking with angle iron around the edges. Simple and it looked great.

EDIT..
I forgot the most important fact, his decks & Driveway had a pea gravel finish. it was very attractive and almost maintenance free.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
Trex. I could not justify the extra cost of tree on my last house so I didn't do it. The third time I was out pressure washing off the flakes and spraying deck stain I swore never again wood.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We have a composite deck with hidden fasteners and we love it. I will say that the gaps between the boards are pretty tight and will accumulate dirt and debris in them. If you have pine trees near the deck it will be a battle. The dirt, grime and debris builds up and ants like to colonize the now dirty grooves. So, if you go the hidden fastener route, be diligent about keeping the board gaps clear of debris.

glhs837

Power with Control
That was the one I was planning on using. I would want 12 ft boards, I have a 12x16 deck.

The 12s do have the gooves for the clip method, which is what my neighbor had done fo her deck.And when I do the front porch, which is on 8x36 foot section along with two side sections about 8x 6 each, I'm using a mix of 8 12s and 16s.

PeoplesElbow

Not a big fan of Trex and other man-made decking. Seen too many decks and furniture full of checks and cracks and fade from the direct sun. If it needs to be fixed or replaced, cheaper and easier to work with wood.

I did not know the composite material would crack and check. Don't have to worry much about the sun as I am in the trees, so the heat also shouldn't be an issue.

I think I priced a composite board is 4x the cost of the premium wood board.

I did not know the composite material would crack and check.

At one time I was contemplating a new deck, so I watched the install on the Solomons pier walk. Maybe they used inferior product, maybe it was installed poorly. The sitting benches checked cracked and split requiring board replacement in just a few years. A huge section of the walkway was replaced. Don't remember how long it was down, and given the foot traffic and sun, maybe it was 'normal' life expectancy, but it always stuck in my mind.

glhs837

Power with Control
I did not know the composite material would crack and check. Don't have to worry much about the sun as I am in the trees, so the heat also shouldn't be an issue.

I think I priced a composite board is 4x the cost of the premium wood board.

Dont forget to add the continuing cost for the wood though. Your time and effort is worth something. And quality materials for staining,waterproofing, those cost too. Ithink the cracking and checking was more of an issue with first gen composites.One last thing is resale. Potential purchasers, lower perceived maintenance effort is pretty huge.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The poor quality of the current generation wood deck lumber is why I'll never use wood again. It is "treated" in name only compared to the previous stuff and barely lasts 4-5 years without constant attention with post treatment preservatives. Warps, curls, splits...

I'm replacing failed 5 yo deck planks on my pier; a pier that still has some deck planks that are well over 40 years old.

glhs837

Power with Control
The poor quality of the current generation wood deck lumber is why I'll never use wood again. It is "treated" in name only compared to the previous stuff and barely lasts 4-5 years without constant attention with post treatment preservatives. Warps, curls, splits...

I'm replacing failed 5 yo deck planks on my pier; a pier that still has some deck planks that are well over 40 years old.

Yep, like chrome plating, this is another field where the regulations have made it simpler to just offer an inferior product rather than find a way to offer equivalent performance,

Lilypad

Have you considered aluminum? Depends on what you want to spend...it is costly. My neighbor had an aluminum deck (Versadeck) installed last year, so many benefits to that material over all others.

glhs837

Power with Control
Have you considered aluminum? Depends on what you want to spend...it is costly. My neighbor had an aluminum deck (Versadeck) installed last year, so many benefits to that material over all others.

Price is petty crazy on that. I did look at it, but it was way outside my price range.

PeoplesElbow

I have also considered something with natural rot resistance like redwood or ipe.