Bourdain...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
https://www.yahoo.com/news/anthony-...tter-contempt-of-working-class-151215285.html

“The utter contempt with which privileged Eastern liberals such as myself discuss red-state, gun-country, working-class America as ridiculous and morons and rubes is largely responsible for the upswell of rage and contempt and desire to pull down the temple that we’re seeing now,” Bourdain said in an interview with Reason magazine.

“I’ve spent a lot of time in gun-country, God-fearing America,” Bourdain continued. “There are a hell of a lot of nice people out there, who are doing what everyone else in this world is trying to do: the best they can to get by and take care of themselves and the people they love. When we deny them their basic humanity and legitimacy of their views, however different they may be than ours, when we mock them at every turn and treat them with contempt, we do no one any good.”

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's the tj approach to tact and diplomacy - mock people, show contempt for them and somehow, they will be ashamed of themselves, have an epiphany and realize that your side is the right one. A technique with an extremely long and nearly perfect record of never working.

?

I was hoping people who hate him and the left would catch the self critical things he was saying about himself and the left as well as the positive things he said about the right and the common things we all share.

Hijinx

?

I was hoping people who hate him and the left would catch the self critical things he was saying about himself and the left as well as the positive things he said about the right and the common things we all share.

Hard to accept these things when this fool should be cooking
How to make Hollandaise sauce does not qualify him as a great philosopher or political genius..
He is full of Bullsh1t being self critical . It's a ploy to cover his ignorance.

He added, “We should be breaking bread with each other and finding common ground whenever possible.”

This is the same guy who said he wouldn't eat at a Trump restaurant isn't it.? Maybe instead of spreading horse crap he should practice what he preaches.

SamSpade

?

He's not the first leftie I've read since the election who's said, basically, if you keep calling them rubes and hicks and morons, sooner or later they're going to vote against you. Even KRUGMAN wrote an article that sort of said this (VERY THINLY veiled contempt).

This guy went a little further because his life experiences actually force him out of his ivory tower and MUST rub shoulders with the deplorables and admits, please, they're not deplorable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
?

A POS is still a POS. I'm not going to suddenly admire him just because he has temporarily pulled his head out of his ass, which is probably not the case anyway because Bourdain always - always - plays to his audience. There is no Anthony Bourdain other than what his audience wants him to be. No Anthony except what will put a buck in his pocket.

Sure, he says this to Reason mag, but that's not what he says to New Yorker or Vanity Fair, or even when left to his own devices. He spews so much hatred and ignorance, the bull#### he's trying to peddle to Reason readers isn't going to make me go, "Wow, that Anthony Bourdain is a stand up guy."

I have not forgotten the way he went after Paula Deen and the ####ty things he said about her, the way he kicked her when she was down. I have also not forgotten the ugly things he said about chefs who dared to work at Trump restaurants. He can go #### himself. Drug addicted POS.

tommyjo

It's the tj approach to tact and diplomacy - mock people, show contempt for them and somehow, they will be ashamed of themselves, have an epiphany and realize that your side is the right one. A technique with an extremely long and nearly perfect record of never working.

Not one bit different than every other poster on here sweetheart. Don't go acting all high and mighty.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:banghead:

The goal isn't to fall in love with Bourdain. I'm not saying 'here is your new god'. The goal is to take note of and build on what he said. Then, when you are engaging in a conversation or debate with some puritan on the left, you have something to add to the conversation. That doesn't require forgiveness for past transgressions. It does point to a shared value.

I've been touting Maher as not only a person on the left with courage concerning Islam but as a leader on the issue from ANY party.

Or cling to your insist on all our differences and hope for better results. Or not. Jesus, people.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:banghead:

The goal isn't to fall in love with Bourdain. I'm not saying 'here is your new god'. The goal is to take note of and build on what he said. Then, when you are engaging in a conversation or debate with some puritan on the left, you have something to add to the conversation. That doesn't require forgiveness for past transgressions. It does point to a shared value.

I've been touting Maher as not only a person on the left with courage concerning Islam but as a leader on the issue from ANY party.

Or cling to your insist on all our differences and hope for better results. Or not. Jesus, people.

If you think Bill Maher is a leader, I don't even know what to say about that.

Anthony Bourdain isn't a leader, either, nor is he the expert on anything except how to mainline heroin, therefore it's unlikely I will use him as a source in any debate. When one is reduced to quoting some celebrity to make their case, they have already lost.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you are in a debate with someone and throw out, "Well, Anthony Bourdain says..." your opponent can respond with, "Well Kim Kardashian says...." and be just as valid.

SamSpade

If you are in a debate with someone and throw out, "Well, Anthony Bourdain says..." your opponent can respond with, "Well Kim Kardashian says...." and be just as valid.

I was just reading a review on "Hard Choices" where someone who SUPPORTS Hillary was disappointed by how trite her material was - that at one point, she quotes Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own where he say "It's supposed to be hard -- the hard is what makes it great".

Quoting *movies*. Might as well quote Forrest Gump.

SamSpade

Not one bit different than every other poster on here sweetheart. Don't go acting all high and mighty.

I don't go about relentlessly insulting others on here with the hope that SOMEHOW, they will change their mind after being assaulted so much.
The human mind doesn't work that way.

You do. In fact, it's your only method. It sucks. Sorry. Most succinct description - it sucks.

No one EVER in history reaches a point in an argument where they suddenly say WOW - I see you were right all along - how could I have thought that?
And yet people argue as if it works that way.

I've promoted for *YEARS* the subtle sneaky way of changing people's minds by letting them believe they came across the change themselves.
A sort of Machiavellian approach. The natural reaction of EVERYONE when you try to take their ball is for them to hold it more tightly.
The trick is to let them save face and take YOUR ball instead. You acknowledge their point of view, but let them save face and incrementally move to your side.
Then you win an ally. Assault them and belittle them, and you will NEVER win them over. You'll find yourself over time talking to an empty room.

Which is where the left finds itself now. They think they're right - but they have no persuasive abilities whatsoever.
When it fails, they just tell people they're too stupid to listen. So they end up talking to themselves.

SamSpade

Ok.

"Voting for President is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you're gonna to get."

I always hated that quote - if you've ever bought a box of Whitman samplers - it has a guide inside the top cover.
You CAN find out - you just don't.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
One need not be a fan of Bourdain's, or Maher's, or like them or stop hating them for one second to recognize and make use of the obvious; one some issues, they are not only right but on YOUR side and of help.

Now, I make the assumption all of us would prefer Western civilization not lose to Islam. So, if you're not in favor of that, fair enough. However, assuming you prefer we win, in the effort to do that you need allies. On this particular issue, Bill Maher is of great help BECAUSE he's on the left, by and large, and the left, by and large, is not seen as pro West when it comes to Islam. That makes his words a little heftier and it makes his a leader on the issue because it's not free and easy for him. It costs him discomfort, economic loss and whatever amount of social pressure against him it costs him BECAUSE he's pushing back against the dogma of 'his side' You don't have to like him for it or love him or marry him or forgive him his stands on any other issue. One this ONE, if you are for the proposal, 'Better Western civilization wins over Islam' he is a friend and an ally.

Likewise Bourdain. You don't have to change a thing about your disdain about him or love him (unless you claim to be a Christian) or marry him to give credit and make use of his criticism of the left one this ONE point; how wrong the left is and has been on it's treatment and view of 'flyover' America. He GETS why Trump won. That doesn't mean he has to become a Trump fan or supporter or love him or marry him. He is correct in his view as to why Hillary lost. And, like Maher, it's because he has articulated a reasoned and correct view. Further, it costs him something to say this.

I am totally unaware of any articulated position by Kim Kardashian that remotely resembles this. Did she say Islam is anti Western liberalism? Did she say Democrats disdain for regular American's is a fault and a mistake and why Hillary won? Anything like that? That maybe mans use of oil may well not be the prime driver of climate change? Did she say a strong military is important to help secure liberty and freedom? Come out for tax cuts? In support of cops? No? Then why is she relevant to this discussion? IF you get the point, she is not. IF you get the point, it costs you NOTHING to say "Yup, on this issue Maher is right. On THIS issue Bourdain is right" and, AND, it HELPS your cause IF you agree with them.

Now, there are any number of issues just like this where a lefty will cut their nose off to spite their face rather than give ANY credit to a right winger they despise. So, I get it and it's not new or interesting or thoughtful. Base rejection of the OTHER even when they're right and on your side is not intelligence. It's an impediment, perhaps THE impediment to world peace, freedom and liberty. It seems to be a NEED. It should embarrass you, especially when you think you are reasonably smart. Even more so when you are SURE you're MORE smart than most.

So, for 2017, keep in mind; it's dumb and a bad thing to be anti-intelligent thought. It's dumb and bad to reject someone who is on your side on an important issue based on them not being on your side on others. You CAN take their help and agreement to help your argument AND keep agreement on other issues. it makes you and your point stronger. Reflexive rejection, trying to compare it to something, like KK, that only shows you either don't see your own ignorance or, worse, don't care, is bad and dumb.

If you'd like to see the West do better against Islam, Bill Maher, because he's associated with a political side that doesn't tend to say that let alone agree, is ON YOUR SIDE. You can take that and use it without giving up disagreement on other issues.
If you'd like to see Middle America, common folk, fly over America have more say and power in the US, Anthony Bourdain is with you. You can take that and use that without giving up disagreement on other areas.
To date, Kim Kardashain has no known positions that are of a kind with this line of reasoning.

Or, keep being reflexive and reactionary in your thinking. You're free to stay dumb on this sort of thing. So is the left. So are we all.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I always hated that quote - if you've ever bought a box of Whitman samplers - it has a guide inside the top cover.
You CAN find out - you just don't.

:lol: I'm trying to find the history of that, when they started actually doing the guide.