imaref

Metrocast increased their cable internet data caps Jan 1st:

MetroCast Access 50GB
MetroCast High Speed Express 250GB
MetroCast High Speed Turbo 600GB
MetroCast High Speed Ultra 1TB

Christy

b*tch rocket
What does this mean? Do they charge you if you go over, or do they slow your data speed down to a crawl? Either way, this does not make me happy. :mad:

imaref

I've read online (DSL reports) that Metrocast uses the data caps as a "line in the sand" for those that outrageously go over the caps, and that they ignore users who go slightly over. You might not have been aware, but there have been caps in place for some time. For example, the old cap on the highest service level was 350GB per month, while the new cap for that same service level is 1TB.

Since the caps are pretty generous now, I wouldn't be surprised to see them give out warnings for those that go way over, but haven't read anything yet about charging for going over. If you have a large household where everyone is streaming video every day, 1TB might no be enough for your needs but for most people, 1 TB should be fine. 1TB is about 33GB of data per day.

For a 2 hour Netflix movie stream of 3-4GB, you could watch 8-9 movies per day, 7 days a week, and still not go over the new cap. But larger households with multiple users may have more difficulty staying under 1TB.

Warron

I had 425gb in October and 460gb in November and I never noticed any slowdown from being capped. I definitely never received any type of warning or extra charge. And I hit these amounts easily while working 40 hours a week just because I mostly stream shows rather than watch regular tv anymore. Maybe a couple big game downloads thrown in as well. I could see reaching 1TB if I did not work 5 days a week.

Christy

b*tch rocket
So how do you figure out how much data you are using? I know for sure that we use a LOT. Everything is streaming in our house. Television, music.....

imaref

You can sign into the Metrocast Portal online and look at your account's bandwidth monitor. Alternately, depending on which wireless router you use, when you log into the router you can set up the traffic monitor which will warn you when you're getting close to the limit. On my router you can set the data cap, but mine wouldn't take the 1TB--too many digits. I had to set it at 999999.

Warron

So how do you figure out how much data you are using? I know for sure that we use a LOT. Everything is streaming in our house. Television, music.....

Make an account at "http://portal.metrocast.net/".

Then go to "http://portal.metrocast.net/usagemeter/". It shows the last 3 months.

The account is not the same as the email or bill pay one, for some reason you need a third account.