Computer on a Stick

SamSpade

How useful are these things?

As far as I can tell, they're useful IF you need an actual computer but either don't have space for a laptop or -
as they don't seem to need a battery, you have a mobile computer that doesn't need charging.

What would I most likely use them for - plugging into a TV, and voila! instant computer? Why is that useful?

Just curious - they're awful cheap.

PeoplesElbow

All of the ones I have seen have Intel Atom processors, remember Netbooks? This is the level of computer that these are, there are even some phones that use the Intel Atom processor. I think Chromebooks also use Atom processors.

They can be useful but you don't get a whole lot of processing power in that stick. They are perfect for running a game emulator on your TV, streaming TV etc

SamSpade

All of the ones I have seen have Intel Atom processors, remember Netbooks? This is the level of computer that these are, there are even some phones that use the Intel Atom processor. I think Chromebooks also use Atom processors.

They can be useful but you don't get a whole lot of processing power in that stick. They are perfect for running a game emulator on your TV, streaming TV etc

Just curious - long gone are the days over 20 years ago when I could easily BUILD a computer from parts - well, economically, that is.
I have a brother in law who likes those whole computer on a card things, although I haven't found a use for them.

These looked more interesting because they appear so simple to use, but - I wasn't sure of a practical application.
The weakness of laptops is basically - battery life.

The weakness of these appears to be computing power - and storage. Sort of.