Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Arrest the Guy ?

Why Arrest the Guy ?

FBI Arrests Volkswagen Executive in Emissions Scandal
    VW executive Oliver Schmidt is suspected of participating in a conspiracy to defraud the U.S. in connection with the emissions-cheating scandal

A Volkswagen AG executive was arrested and charged as part of a U.S. investigation into the German auto giantís emissions-cheating scandal, with a federal complaint detailing how the companyís top management conspired to hide the cheating from regulators.

Oliver Schmidt, who was once in charge of ensuring that Volkswagen vehicles complied with U.S. emissions, was arrested by Federal Bureau of Investigation agents on Saturday at Miami International Airport as he prepared to fly home to Germany. He is suspected of conspiring to defraud the U.S. government and U.S. consumers to sell Volkswagen diesel vehicles.

VW is already paying 16 Billion in fines, having to buy back cars at market value, what justice is served putting this guy in JAIL

The charges, unsealed Monday, come as Volkswagen seeks to settle criminal allegations stemming from its admission in 2015 that it rigged nearly 600,000 diesel-powered cars sold in the U.S. to cheat on emissions tests. Volkswagen has agreed to pay up to $17.5 billion in the U.S. to settle claims with regulators, consumers, dealers and state attorneys general and could face another multibillion-dollar penalty in the expected criminal case.

Mr. Schmidt appears to have become a central figure in the U.S. governmentís investigation as someone who allegedly played a key role in the companyís efforts to conceal its use of illegal software, a so-called defeat device, in diesel vehicles sold in the U.S.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    VW is already paying 16 Billion in fines, having to buy back cars at market value, what justice is served putting this guy in JAIL
    You commit a criminal act, you get stuck in the legal system. Step 1 of the criminal system is getting arrested.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Ok, someone smarter than me; how is it that burning a gallon of gas produces 19.64 POUNDS of CO2 and 22.38 POUNDS of CO2 are produced from burning a gallon diesel? I know, as a matter of fact, that diesel is lighter than water and water weighs 8.34 pounds.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=307&t=11

About 19.64 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) are produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol. About 22.38 pounds of CO2 are produced from burning a gallon of diesel fuel

Until I read that I was gonna argue that the guy has to go to jail because he's not playing the game. Diesel, even if the above is accurate, that it produces a little more CO2 as well as other nastiness, the best I could find quickly was that if you revise diesel MPG down about 20%, that's what a gas engine needs to achieve to be, roughly, on par in terms of environmental impact. So, I know VW's can get about 50 mph here, thus a gas car needs to get 40 mpg, which isn't all that common. So, to the point, if VW is cheating a little, it's making it harder to justify buying gas over diesel, which is already, mostly superior to gas because it gets more than enough MPG to offset the difference environmentally. In other words, to be one of the gang, VW, with an inherently better product, environmentally, had to conform to a more stringent set of rules to make it comparable to gas. So, the cheating, while already better for the environment, can't be allowed to stray from the rules.

Now, I'm fascinated by the prospect that burning fossil fuels creates nearly triple their weight in a byproduct. And that's just the gross weight as a gallon of fuel isn't 100% CO2 to begin with.

Some help?
    Nepotism begins at home

So, regardless of the BS surrounding carbon output, and whatever VW is paying, the fact is that this guy was charged with ensuring VW was complying withy the law, and he broke it instead. Are we not always saying that buying yourself free from the legal consequences of your individual actions is BS? And the corporations should not be allowed to just pay a fine and wash away wrongdoing?
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Ok, someone smarter than me; how is it that burning a gallon of gas produces 19.64 POUNDS of CO2 and 22.38 POUNDS of CO2 are produced from burning a gallon diesel? I know, as a matter of fact, that diesel is lighter than water and water weighs 8.34 pounds.
    It probably has to due with most of the components of the CO2 coming from the air, and burning the gas is simply acting as a catalyst to turn breathable air into CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    It probably has to due with most of the components of the CO2 coming from the air, and burning the gas is simply acting as a catalyst to turn breathable air into CO2.
    Because the carbon MONoxide binds up free oxygen to become carbon DIoxide. Like how a 30lb muddy dog can weight 50lbs.
    "I aim to misbehave."

7. 01-10-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Because the carbon MONoxide binds up free oxygen to become carbon DIoxide. Like how a 30lb muddy dog can weight 50lbs.
    Are you explaining that to me or to Larry? Because that's just restating what I said with a bit more specificity.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Are you explaining that to me or to Larry? Because that's just restating what I said with a bit more specificity.
    Yep, that was amplifying it for Larry, although I might think a plant guy would be all over that, come to think of it :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    .... the fact is that this guy was charged with ensuring VW was complying withy the law, and he broke it instead.

well the FBI should be filing charges and arresting a bunch more VW employees, this went all the way to the top .... starting with the CEO already out of work

[I know they grabbed who they could]
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

Ok, so that I have a handle on this, IIRC, a CO2 molecule is heavier than air, right? By about a third? So, whatever it's becoming, somehow, makes it float above air, right?

So, of 8 pounds of weight in a gallon of gas, how much of that weight is CO2? A fraction of the 8 pounds, yes? So, we're not talking about it doubling, we;'re talking about a CO2 molecule becoming exponentially heavier when freed from liquid via burning, right?

God, I wished I'd paid more attention in chemistry class.
    Nepotism begins at home

Members who have read this thread: 48