Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Arrest the Guy ?

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Yep, that was amplifying it for Larry, although I might think a plant guy would be all over that, come to think of it :)
    You've missed my rants about CO2 and greenhouse 'gases'???? Well, allow me!

Greenhouses do NOT trap CO2. THEY CONSUME it. It's the dumbest analogy in the history of dumb analogies. Further, greenhouses have vents and fans and cooling pads and....get this....CO2 GENERATORS to create MORE CO2 so that...the plants GROW better.

And what gas does a greenhouse produce?????

O2.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    God, I wished I'd paid more attention in chemistry class.
    Wasn't my favorite class either.

Wikipedia has the conversion as 2 C8H18 + 25 O2 → 16 CO2 + 18 H2O.

So, for every two molecules of the primary hydrocarbon in gasoline 25 molecules of Oxygen are pulled from the air to produce 16 molecules of Carbon Dioxide and 18 molecules of water. Now, obviously they have differing weights (which I am not even going to attempt to look up), but on the fact of it a 1 to 8 ratio seems like it should be enough to account for the difference in weight you outlined in your initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Wasn't my favorite class either.

Wikipedia has the conversion as 2 C8H18 + 25 O2 → 16 CO2 + 18 H2O.

So, for every two molecules of the primary hydrocarbon in gasoline 25 molecules of Oxygen are pulled from the air to produce 16 molecules of Carbon Dioxide and 18 molecules of water. Now, obviously they have differing weights (which I am not even going to attempt to look up), but on the fact of it a 1 to 8 ratio seems like it should be enough to account for the difference in weight you outlined in your initial post.
    I actually enjoyed it. True story; I dicked around and dicked around and got an F mid terms. Teacher had me stay after ONE time and in 45 minutes she opened my eyes and mind and I earned an A by end of quarter. I just couldn't see a future in it for me.

So, in any event, if we know burning fossil fuels CREATES 8 times the product then think of the possibilities, the potential applications if we can set aside stupidity, like 'greenhouse gases' and start looking at what we could DO with the by products. Again, we ADD CO2 to improve plant growth which, in turn, basic photosynthesis, creates more O2.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    You've missed my rants about CO2 and greenhouse 'gases'???? Well, allow me!

Greenhouses do NOT trap CO2. THEY CONSUME it. It's the dumbest analogy in the history of dumb analogies. Further, greenhouses have vents and fans and cooling pads and....get this....CO2 GENERATORS to create MORE CO2 so that...the plants GROW better.

And what gas does a greenhouse produce?????

O2.
    Larry, relax, I was simply pointing out that the reason emissions can produce a greater weight than the fluid burned that produced the emissions. I know plants consume CO2 and produce O2, being carbon based lifeforms. I never mentioned greenhouses.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Larry, relax, I was simply pointing out that the reason emissions can produce a greater weight than the fluid burned that produced the emissions. I know plants consume CO2 and produce O2, being carbon based lifeforms. I never mentioned greenhouses.
    My bad. I wasn't ranting AT you. I was ranting at the conventional wisdom which, while conventional, isn't very wise.

I think that's my biggest problem as a writer; I make people feel like I am barking at them when I am not. That said, I think it's REALLY clear when I actually AM barking at someone.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Members who have read this thread: 48