Dylann Roof..Death penalty or Life in Prison

Littlebit

I believe the jury said death. The scumbag deserves the death penalty for what he did. Hope he goes to the hot coals of hell. Done ranting.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, just put'em down. He did it, there's no question, no extenuating circumstances, one appeal and done.

Just heard on the news that one juror does not want him to be put down. She wants him to rot in a cell thinking about what he has done.

From his own statements, I don't believe he can ever be remorseful.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Justice will be complete when he assumes room temperature and costs the state no more. Healing could take longer.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
put him on his knees in front of the court house, a .22 behind the ear, cremate the remains, flush the ashes

glhs837

Power with Control
Just heard on the news that one juror does not want him to be put down. She wants him to rot in a cell thinking about what he has done.

From his own statements, I don't believe he can ever be remorseful.

Even if he was, too bad. No point in expending societies resource's on keeping him in air and water, let alone food.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd give all violent criminals the death penalty. I've never understood the purpose of warehousing them for life on taxpayer dime.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm speculating here, but from what I've seen and read I think he wants to be put to death. He seems to believe he'll become a martyr for whatever his sick cause is. If that is true, then what is the worst punishment he could be sentenced to? I would think it would have to be life in prison without parole.

Oh, and I'm NOT against the death penalty.

I'd give all violent criminals the death penalty. I've never understood the purpose of warehousing them for life on taxpayer dime.

Maybe not so much a purpose, but rather an ethical choice. Don't forget, religious people take seriously the 10 commandments, one of which is 'Thou shalt not kill'. Doesn't matter if the guy deserves it or not, it's against their beliefs to sentence anyone to death.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe not so much a purpose, but rather an ethical choice. Don't forget, religious people take seriously the 10 commandments, one of which is 'Thou shalt not kill'. Doesn't matter if the guy deserves it or not, it's against their beliefs to sentence anyone to death.

The commandment is actually "Thou shalt not murder." Killing evildoers, in defense, and in war is justified, according to the Bible (both Hebrew and New Testament). The Catholics totally made that "death penalty is against the Bible" crap up.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm speculating here, but from what I've seen and read I think he wants to be put to death. He seems to believe he'll become a martyr for whatever his sick cause is. If that is true, then what is the worst punishment he could be sentenced to? I would think it would have to be life in prison without parole.

Oh, and I'm NOT against the death penalty.

Dont care what he wants, nor in trying to decide whats "worse" for him. He's a broken thing that serves no purpose on the planet. Let him leave it. Any effort expended by humans for the care and feeding of this thing is wasted effort.

The commandment is actually "Thou shalt not murder." Killing evildoers, in defense, and in war is justified, according to the Bible (both Hebrew and New Testament). The Catholics totally made that "death penalty is against the Bible" crap up.

Yep.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dont care what he wants, nor in trying to decide whats "worse" for him. He's a broken thing that serves no purpose on the planet. Let him leave it. Any effort expended by humans for the care and feeding of this thing is wasted effort.

Yep.....

I appreciate the sentiment, the anger but he is not a thing any more than his victims were. Life in prison serves the purpose of exposing him as NOT superior, just another human being, like the rest of us except for the fact that HE thought he was superior and OTHERS deserved to be treated like 'things'. It does not serve our society to become what we despise in ourselves.

I agree that he gets no say in the matter. That is his punishment; he forfeited his rights to the society by violating our most sacred principle; that we ALL have the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. As I age and I see people like Manson aging and become old and feeble I think that helps reduce the chances of a future Manson or Roof.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sorry, Larry, there are standards to human behavior, and he demonstrated he can't comply with them. It's not anger, it's acceptance.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sorry, Larry, there are standards to human behavior, and he demonstrated he can't comply with them. It's not anger, it's acceptance.

Understood. I sure didn't suggest he go free. We're disagreeing over the long term societal benefits of execution v. life with no parole.
of course there is the 'you don't put down a rabid dog as a warning to the other dogs' and I used to ascribe to that. That's why I explained my reasoning; seeing Manson rot is better than some mythical vision of him in his prime defiantly going out. Or McVeigh or Roof.

:buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
seeing Manson rot is better than some mythical vision of him in his prime defiantly going out. Or McVeigh or Roof.

I understand your point, but I don't think that will deter the rabid humans among us. "Oh, geez, Manson grew old in prison...guess I better not dismember and eat this little kid." I'm not feelin' it. The very definition of "criminally insane" is that they have no control over their compulsions. Which, in my mind, doesn't mean they are "not guilty" or shouldn't be strapped to the chair. Quite the contrary...

Capital punishment, to me, is a practical matter. Nothing personal. No different than putting down a rabid dog.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When you dehumanize people...you dehumanize people. Same thing Roof did; they are unworthy. They are lesser.

I have no problem dehumanizing people like this. They are lesser. They are unworthy. They relinquished their own humanity.