Millions more vets to be able to shop at exchanges online

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" After two years of study and debate, the Department of Defense has made a policy change, effective next November, to allow 16 million honorably discharged veterans to shop online for discounted military exchange products.

Peter K. Levine, acting undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, signed a memorandum Wednesday announcing the benefit expansion, effective Veterans Day (Nov. 11), and giving Congress the required 30 days’ notice before actions begin to implement the plan.

Months of preparation are needed to make e-shopping portals more robust and to allow the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) time to create software for verifying veterans’ status using Department of Veterans Affairs records.

Several million vets already are eligible to shop in exchanges — on base or online — because they are active or reserve component retirees, or 100 percent disabled from service-connected injuries or ailments, or Medal of Honor recipients.

Thomas C. Shull, chief executive officer of the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, led a three-year quest to expand online exchange shopping to all honorably discharged veterans with access to computers. It cited two reasons.

One was to reward their service with exchange product savings that, on average, will be near to 20 percent versus commercial department store prices when military exemption from state and local sales tax are considered too.

Shull’s other purpose was to increase exchange revenues to help offset troubling declines due to the drawdown of active-duty forces, base closures and the end of military tobacco discounts for the higher priority of healthier populations. "

http://www.stripes.com/millions-more-vets-to-be-able-to-shop-at-exchanges-online-1.448664

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And they say Obama didn't do enough for vets...

I'm sorry, quitters shouldn't be rewarded with ALL of the same benefits retirees get,,

This is purely money.. the Exchanges are going broke, they can't compete with Wal Mart..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm sorry, quitters shouldn't be rewarded with ALL of the same benefits retirees get,,

This is purely money.. the Exchanges are going broke, they can't compete with Wal Mart..

I wish we had more vets and retirees in politics. I bet the word 'hero' would be thrown around a LOT less. :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I wish we had more vets and retirees in politics. I bet the word 'hero' would be thrown around a LOT less. :lol:

Thought about this a little more on the ride home.. Again, politicians making decisions without thinking them through...

Take PAX for instance.. Before they give Joe Schmoe that served 2 years over 30 years ago privileges what about all the people that are already on base and currently supporting the warfighter? They're already on base and would add much needed revenue to the facilities without much more stress on the base. I rember a case here on PAX hot summer day, he's working outside on base, goes to the gas station to get a drink they wouldn't let him buy a bottle of water... Stupid.. Beyond stupid.

When you talk about giving EVERY veteran access you're talking about multiplying the people with access to the base 10 fold? 20 - 100 fold? All these people that could want access now need ID cards OR they have to hit the Visitors center every time they come on base.. And we all know how efficient the Visitors center and ID processing is.. It will be a nightmare and a huge cost to the base.

With the majority of the population (if you are around a base) now having access security is going to be worthless. You don't need a security check now to get an ID just proof of service/ eligibility.. and of course they aren't going shopping alone, family and friends will come with them. Security will be so useless at that point get rid of the gate guards and up the Patrols..

If only 25% of eligible users use the facilities it will be a major change to the landscape on base..

Within a year the base facilities will look like a VA waiting room, and the active duty and retirees will probably stop using it just because they don't want to deal with it..

Now families and nursing homes won't have to drive all the way to a local VA to turf their veterans. Just the nearest base with a food court.

Last edited:

Blister

" After two years of study and debate, the Department of Defense has made a policy change, effective next November, to allow 16 million honorably discharged veterans to shop online for discounted military exchange products.

How does anyone need base access to shop "ONLINE"?

tommyjo

How does anyone need base access to shop "ONLINE"?

Don't point out the obvious stupidity of the natives...they get touchy when it is pointed out that they either can't or are too lazy to bother reading the original post.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ooops.. Thats what I get for posting while asleep.

But still the question(s) remain. Even Online, whats the cost going to be to set up the servers and the databases to confirm eligibility and then a system (a CAC Card perhaps) to ensure it's only the person eligible using it and not a stranger that he shared his username and password with?

So it's not as easy as saying give EVERY veteran access (assumption being TommyJo STILL won't be eligible) it's another costly benefit.

But I digress. In the end the PX/ BX/ NEX still won't be able to compete with Amazom or WalMart.. I can honestly say I have NEVER bought anything from any one of them online.

Why would I?

So huge costs to give EVERY veteran a benefit theyll probably never use.. YEAH team.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Don't point out the obvious stupidity of the natives...they get touchy when it is pointed out that they either can't or are too lazy to bother reading the original post.

Was that an insult?

I'm.man enough to admit I made a mistake.. Is your dad?

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......

But still the question(s) remain. Even Online, whats the cost going to be to set up the servers and the databases to confirm eligibility and then a system (a CAC Card perhaps) to ensure it's only the person eligible using it and not a stranger that he shared his username and password with?

So it's not as easy as saying give EVERY veteran access (assumption being TommyJo STILL won't be eligible) it's another costly benefit.

But I digress. In the end the PX/ BX/ NEX still won't be able to compete with Amazom or WalMart.. I can honestly say I have NEVER bought anything from any one of them online.

Why would I?

So huge costs to give EVERY veteran a benefit theyll probably never use.. YEAH team.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement. If you served in the military, you have a DoD ID number in DEERS. Basically, when you make an account for online exchange access, it checks the information you provide against DEERS. How I would go about it is, if you take your DD214 (or other discharge papers showing Honorable Discharge) to your local Pass Office, they can grant Exchange privileges without issuing an ID. That way you can create the online exchange account but not have access to the base/post.
I must agree, that I hardly use the Exchange because, even after the tax break, I can find what I want somewhere else for less.

Restitution

Haven't bought a single thing from an Exchange since they upped tobacco products (cigarettes) to match retail! That was what? 15-20 years ago??

mAlice

professional daydreamer
What a lot of people fail to realize is that the NEX is a publicly traded business, AND, they're not as inexpensive to shop in as one might think. A lot of military, including myself at one time, would save money shopping elsewhere. They also don't have as wide a range of a given product that one can find on the economy. I suspect that on line sales/deals have taken a chunk of their business. So, if they're going to survive, they're going to have to compete.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It shouldn't be too hard to implement. If you served in the military, you have a DoD ID number in DEERS. Basically, when you make an account for online exchange access, it checks the information you provide against DEERS. How I would go about it is, if you take your DD214 (or other discharge papers showing Honorable Discharge) to your local Pass Office, they can grant Exchange privileges without issuing an ID. That way you can create the online exchange account but not have access to the base/post.
I must agree, that I hardly use the Exchange because, even after the tax break, I can find what I want somewhere else for less.

I doubt EVERY veteran has DEERS number.. 100s of thousands of veterans were out before DEERS.. And Your suggesting again, a major impact on base operations.

And still no way to ensure the eligible veteran is shopping and not some 18 year old 'friend' using his or her username and password.

black dog

Free America

Thought about this a little more on the ride home.. Again, politicians making decisions without thinking them through...

Take PAX for instance.. Before they give Joe Schmoe that served 2 years over 30 years ago privileges what about all the people that are already on base and currently supporting the warfighter? They're already on base and would add much needed revenue to the facilities without much more stress on the base. I rember a case here on PAX hot summer day, he's working outside on base, goes to the gas station to get a drink they wouldn't let him buy a bottle of water... Stupid.. Beyond stupid.

When you talk about giving EVERY veteran access you're talking about multiplying the people with access to the base 10 fold? 20 - 100 fold? All these people that could want access now need ID cards OR they have to hit the Visitors center every time they come on base.. And we all know how efficient the Visitors center and ID processing is.. It will be a nightmare and a huge cost to the base.

With the majority of the population (if you are around a base) now having access security is going to be worthless. You don't need a security check now to get an ID just proof of service/ eligibility.. and of course they aren't going shopping alone, family and friends will come with them. Security will be so useless at that point get rid of the gate guards and up the Patrols..

If only 25% of eligible users use the facilities it will be a major change to the landscape on base..

Within a year the base facilities will look like a VA waiting room, and the active duty and retirees will probably stop using it just because they don't want to deal with it..

Now families and nursing homes won't have to drive all the way to a local VA to turf their veterans. Just the nearest base with a food court.

Why would I?

Was that an insult?

I'm.man enough to admit I made a mistake.. Is your dad?

I doubt EVERY veteran has DEERS number.. 100s of thousands of veterans were out before DEERS.. And Your suggesting again, a major impact on base operations.

And still no way to ensure the eligible veteran is shopping and not some 18 year old 'friend' using his or her username and password.

Dude you are one angry argumentative curmudgeon who is in dire need of a blowjob.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Dude you are one angry argumentative curmudgeon who is in dire need of a blowjob.

Nope, I don't get angry..

Not in need of a blowjob and no, I don't have an extra one for you.

Veterans, in general, are starting to sound like a bunch of whiny ass welfare recipients.. GIVE US MORE FREE STUFF!!

While veterans that have real need suffer..

Veterans DEMAND free health care for life, though they served 30 years ago (or more) for 2 - 4 years and their current cold or hangover has absolutely nothing to do with their service.

So they go sit at the VA, waiting for more of their free stuff like a whiny ass liberal sucking off the government teat, while another Veteran that actually needs help from a service connected problem commits suicide while awaiting for the help they needed.

Whine for more free stuff, and the politicians first gave them their free VA medical care.. they continued to whine.. now they get to shop online at our PX/BX/NEX. What's next?

These are supposed to be veterans.. the warrior class.. they SHOULD be able to take care of themselves.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Nope, I don't get angry..

Not in need of a blowjob and no, I don't have an extra one for you.

Veterans, in general, are starting to sound like a bunch of whiny ass welfare recipients.. GIVE US MORE FREE STUFF!!

While veterans that have real need suffer..

Veterans DEMAND free health care for life, though they served 30 years ago (or more) for 2 - 4 years and their current cold or hangover has absolutely nothing to do with their service.

So they go sit at the VA, waiting for more of their free stuff like a whiny ass liberal sucking off the government teat, while another Veteran that actually needs help from a service connected problem commits suicide while awaiting for the help they needed.

Whine for more free stuff, and the politicians first gave them their free VA medical care.. they continued to whine.. now they get to shop online at our PX/BX/NEX. What's next?

These are supposed to be veterans.. the warrior class.. they SHOULD be able to take care of themselves.
For most Veterans, it is not free health care. There are co-pays they have to pay. Also, not every veteran is eligible for VA health care at all.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Even while active duty (22yrs) I found better deals off base. Now retired, I only go to the base for haircuts. Has to be last ditch effort for BX/NEX's to compete and revenue. I'm surprised they still keep them open on bases where box stores, like Walmart are close by. Instead I see Andrews is expanding its BX again.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
For most Veterans, it is not free health care. There are co-pays they have to pay. Also, not every veteran is eligible for VA health care at all.

The original intent of the VA was to care for the wounded veterans, or service connected injuries and disabilities of veterans..

Now ANY veteran can apply for VA healthcare, and generally get it (unless you make too much money)..

So now it's not service based, or service connected but income based.

I've been retired for 16 years now, and other than my separation physical have never stepped in a VA.. hope to God I never have to.

Wish more wouldn't so our veterans that need care could get it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That's why I think we need more vets in politics. Very well reasoned, knowledgeable. And scrappy. :lol: :buddies: