Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things we just did not spend money on growing up

Things we just did not spend money on growing up

Larry's buying by price thread made me think of things that we just did not spend money on when I was a kid. Here is my list.

Long Distance - Calling long distance was just something you did NOT do.
    Internet - Didn't exist
    Cell Phone - Didn't Exist
    Air Conditioning - House was built in 79 without it, was added about 84
    Bottled Water - Tap was fine
    New Cars - Dad drove the ugliest cars I ever saw, we did have a vacation car that was covered and garage kept (1974 Ford Elite)
    Music - You can listen to the radio, that was good enough for us growing up (my parents)
    Expensive Tennis Shoes - The ones from Payless were all I got till I was in high school
    Designer Jeans - I was lucky to get some Levis once and a while, everyone I went to school with wore Guess in the late 80's early 90's.
    Firewood - we drove out to the middle of no where, cut trees down and hauled the wood back in dads ####ty car
    Pets - was told I didn't need an eating or ####ting machine, the free goldfish from the school far was enough
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Long Distance - Calling long distance was just something you did NOT do.
    This was the first thing I thought of.

Also going out to eat. That was a huge treat when I was a kid, and even after I was an adult. Even a trip to Mickey D's was a big deal.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    This was the first thing I thought of.

Also going out to eat. That was a huge treat when I was a kid, and even after I was an adult. Even a trip to Mickey D's was a big deal.
    Same here, I rarely remember going out to eat when I was smaller. Later on we would go to Ponderosa once and a while. My grandparents never went out to eat, like ever and made the comment once about how fancy we lived.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Larry's buying by price thread made me think of things that we just did not spend money on when I was a kid. Here is my list.

Long Distance - Calling long distance was just something you did NOT do.Yes
    Internet - Didn't exist
    Air Conditioning - House was built in 79 without it, was added about 84. 1970
    Bottled Water - Tap was fine. yes
    New Cars - Dad drove the ugliest cars I ever saw, we did have a vacation car that was covered and garage kept (1974 Ford Elite No, one of my fathers lux
    Music - You can listen to the radio, that was good enough for us growing up (my parents)No, loved my eight tracks
    Expensive Tennis Shoes - The ones from Payless were all I got till I was in high school Yes
    Designer Jeans - I was lucky to get some Levis once and a while, everyone I went to school with wore Guess in the late 80's early 90's.sYea
    Firewood - we drove out to the middle of no where, cut trees down and hauled the wood back in dads ####ty car Yes
    Pets - was told I didn't need an eating or ####ting machine, the free goldfish from the school far was enough
    no, dogs were family

New ones....
    College-I'm not sending you on a 4 year vacation
    Yard work...thats why you live here for free
    Boat work...that why you fish for free
    Crabs...you can sell them on Monday
    I have more......
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Blog Entries
    Travel sports teams. We played in local leagues that were free. Baseball, football & basketball
    ADHD meds - we got our asses beat and that was enough to keep most in line
    Nintendo/gameboys - we played outside running around all day
    Gastric bypass - Look at pictures from 40 years ago. Very few obese people around
    Starbucks - 10 o'clock coffee sufficed
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Long Distance - Calling long distance was just something you did NOT do. - not as a child NOPE ... Letters and Cards at Christmas
    Internet - Didn't exist
    Air Conditioning - house in 73 had AC built in ... I cannot remmber before that
    Bottled Water - wtf was this - there was NO Bottled Water in the 70's [one might get 'distilled' water for something, and that was a Gal Jug]
    New Cars - only NEW Car my father bought was a Toyota in 73 after the gas crunch - we had that car 6 months dad traded it for something with 400 CI
    Music - 76 TA had an 8 track - parents has a 'stereo' played 33 LP's
    Expensive Tennis Shoes - Keds ... High School Chuck Taylor's All Stars last pair I bought in 1982 was $ 14 bucks [they are 50 now]
    Designer Jeans - Sears Tough skins growing up .... Levis at some point in the 80's not even 501's those came later
    Firewood - not sure where dad got the wood, we did not have fires often - maybe a dura-flame log
    Pets - grew up with a cat

for reference I was born in 65

Also going out to eat. That was a huge treat when I was a kid, and even after I was an adult.
    up until 77 we went out occasionally - after dad passed away, mom would take me to a local Pizza Joint on grocery shopping day in the late 70s / early 80's we ate out more often .. swanky places I sometimes had to put on a tie for

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    ADHD meds - we got our asses beat and that was enough to keep most in line.
    a Ritalin Taker from the 70's That did not work for some .... partly my mind wandered because school was BORING ...
    Last edited by GURPS; 01-16-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    Travel sports teams. We played in local leagues that were free. Baseball, football & basketball
    ADHD meds - we got our asses beat and that was enough to keep most in line
    Nintendo/gameboys - we played outside running around all day
    Gastric bypass - Look at pictures from 40 years ago. Very few obese people around
    Starbucks - 10 o'clock coffee sufficed
    I had never heard of such a thing till I moved to Maryland, I played Little League and high school baseball. Travel was to the next town over, less than 20 minutes away.

Very rarely went out to dinner.....maybe once or twice a year
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Bottled Water - wtf was this - there was NO Bottled Water in the 70's [one might get 'distilled' water for something, and that was a Gal Jug]
    B.S. Sparkletts® has been serving customers in Southern California since 1925.We got 5 gal bottle every week...in the HEAVY glass bottles, not the lighter plastic bottle of today.
    Go back and search before you rock back that Pez dispenser of Stupid called a mouth. ~ Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Rommey View Post
    B.S. Sparkletts® has been serving customers in Southern California since 1925.We got 5 gal bottle every week...in the HEAVY glass bottles, not the lighter plastic bottle of today.

right Water Cooler 5 gal bottles .... not the ubiquitous 'water bottles' of today
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Members who have read this thread: 2